ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Iowa State

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Well, there you have it. Another unnecessarily close game with an inept, ultra conservative offense, subpar QB play, and a stellar defense. De ja vu all over again? The Hawks win an ugly one 20-13 against a team playing without their starting QB and RB.

1. Not Impressed with Cade. The Hawks blew their entire NIL budget to bring in a hobbled backup QB. Does his play on the field match his bravado? His subpar 12/22 for 123 yards and an interception should probably put him at around 10th or 11th in Big 10 QBs. What's more disappointing is that in two games as a Hawk, Cade has completed 7 passes to wide receivers (one was for 0 yards). That's Petras caliber bad and it may not be his fault. My guess is his tendency to check-down to the ultra safe 2 yard routes has already been coached into him by Brian. But c'mon, Dordt College walk on Hayden Large now has more receptions than the 4 star WR transfer from Ohio State. In what world is that good coaching? In contrast, Iowa State's small school WR transfer managed to catch 8 passes for 100 yards against Iowa's top tier DBs...and he caught those passes from a freshmen backup QB. I expect more from a 5th year mega hyped grad transfer QB.

2. Very impressed with Patterson. We have the racial bias scandle to thank for having a stud from Florida on the roster with a grill full of gold teeth and dreadlocks. Under Doyle, he would have been run out of town after a semester. And while Johnson got all the preseason hype, Patterson looks to run harder and have more burst. Ironically, last year at this time, Johnson was the 3rd string back playing behind inferior talent. This year, it appears to be Patterson as the 3rd string back with superior talent. My guess is he'll be the starter by the end of the year, especially after today's 10 carryfor 85 yards and a touchdown performance. By comparison, Johnson had 15 carries for just 28 yards (11 of the yards came on 1 carry, meaning the rest was 14 carries for 17 yards). Even more impressively, Patterson runs harder north/south than anyone we've had in years and showed he can block.

3. Xavier a No Show? Iowa's defensive backfield is young. But what a difference a week can make. After having a highlight reel interception in game 1, X was a no-show against Iowa State, racking up no tackles, no passes batted down, and no stats of any kind. He seemed out of position and was caught Randying. The opposing QB threw the ball 44 times, often throwing away from DeJean. So where was our 5 star safety? Let's hope he was just having an off night, as it's not common for starting safeties at Iowa to record no stats in a game.

4. Tight Ends Lead By Default. Lachey and All each had 3 catches. Somehow that led the team playing for a ranked Big 10 program. I have to wonder if the TEs are getting all the targets because they are great players or because Brian's route trees & ultra conservative play calling would make any TE the QB's favorite target. All I know is, no WR in their right mind is going to play for Iowa and no offensive coordinator in their right mind would completely omit WRs from the offense the way Brian does. If you don't throw the ball down the field and have big play threats at WR, you are never going to have a running game.

5. DeJean is Elite. The guy is everywhere out there. When he's wasn't racking up 10 tackles and locking down receivers, he was returning puts and the gunner on the punt team. The guy is Tyler Sash or Amani Hooker out there and he hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling.

6. Saved By the Drops. At the end of the year, no one will remember how Iowa won...just that Iowa won. But if you think about it, if it weren't for 7 separate dropped passes by Iowa State and a missed field goal, the Hawks likely lose this game and the "Fire Brian" crowd would be yelling at a fever pitch. Even with all those drops and missed field goal, ISU's depleted offense still tied Iowa's offense with just 13 points each.

I love when people say "if he didnt miss the fg".. give me a break... Guess who didn't miss field goals? Iowa. What's next... well if two iowa state players didnt run into each other on a punt return, iowa state would have won the game! Derp

Newsflash, special teams are a part of the game and we won that part of the game.

1. Cade is doing just fine. Luchey gets bumped on the one long 3rd down pass, throwing off that timing. Ragaini gets pulled down on the pick. And the TEs run into each other on a play. Last week he has 2 dropped td passes. Oh yeah, he's also playing on a leg injury that's bad enough to keep him from practicing fully. Pump the brakes.

2. Agree on JP's day. No idea why you feel the need to throw in the grill/dreads comment. It seriously has zero place in any analysis. Let me try to understand your point: does he run hard or not? If yes, as you say, what are you complaining about?

3. ISU threw the majority of their passes to the flats or on slants. Xavier, as a safety, is not near the ball on these plays. That's really all that needs to be said there.

4. Completely agree that we have to find a way to get the ball to WRs. With ISU DBs playing back 8-10 yards at times, we never once threw a quick slant, jet sweep, or made much effort to get the ball into their hands. We do have 2 fantastic tight ends. But we need to throw a bone to the WRs.

5. Cooper was awesome today. Absolutely awesome. He will spring a punt return when we need it (hopefully Penn State...)

6. They did have a few drops. 7?

MY BIGGEST BEEF:
We show very few plays that have any element of mystery to them. No fake jet sweeps to cause a defender's eyes or body to move. Easy to focus on what's coming.

BUT... we got a trophy back. 2-0. Next up.

Well, there you have it. Another unnecessarily close game with an inept, ultra conservative offense, subpar QB play, and a stellar defense. De ja vu all over again? The Hawks win an ugly one 20-13 against a team playing without their starting QB and RB.

1. Not Impressed with Cade. The Hawks blew their entire NIL budget to bring in a hobbled backup QB. Does his play on the field match his bravado? His subpar 12/22 for 123 yards and an interception should probably put him at around 10th or 11th in Big 10 QBs. What's more disappointing is that in two games as a Hawk, Cade has completed 7 passes to wide receivers (one was for 0 yards). That's Petras caliber bad and it may not be his fault. My guess is his tendency to check-down to the ultra safe 2 yard routes has already been coached into him by Brian. But c'mon, Dordt College walk on Hayden Large now has more receptions than the 4 star WR transfer from Ohio State. In what world is that good coaching? In contrast, Iowa State's small school WR transfer managed to catch 8 passes for 100 yards against Iowa's top tier DBs...and he caught those passes from a freshmen backup QB. I expect more from a 5th year mega hyped grad transfer QB.

2. Very impressed with Patterson. We have the racial bias scandle to thank for having a stud from Florida on the roster with a grill full of gold teeth and dreadlocks. Under Doyle, he would have been run out of town after a semester. And while Johnson got all the preseason hype, Patterson looks to run harder and have more burst. Ironically, last year at this time, Johnson was the 3rd string back playing behind inferior talent. This year, it appears to be Patterson as the 3rd string back with superior talent. My guess is he'll be the starter by the end of the year, especially after today's 10 carryfor 85 yards and a touchdown performance. By comparison, Johnson had 15 carries for just 28 yards (11 of the yards came on 1 carry, meaning the rest was 14 carries for 17 yards). Even more impressively, Patterson runs harder north/south than anyone we've had in years and showed he can block.

3. Xavier a No Show? Iowa's defensive backfield is young. But what a difference a week can make. After having a highlight reel interception in game 1, X was a no-show against Iowa State, racking up no tackles, no passes batted down, and no stats of any kind. He seemed out of position and was caught Randying. The opposing QB threw the ball 44 times, often throwing away from DeJean. So where was our 5 star safety? Let's hope he was just having an off night, as it's not common for starting safeties at Iowa to record no stats in a game.

4. Tight Ends Lead By Default. Lachey and All each had 3 catches. Somehow that led the team playing for a ranked Big 10 program. I have to wonder if the TEs are getting all the targets because they are great players or because Brian's route trees & ultra conservative play calling would make any TE the QB's favorite target. All I know is, no WR in their right mind is going to play for Iowa and no offensive coordinator in their right mind would completely omit WRs from the offense the way Brian does. If you don't throw the ball down the field and have big play threats at WR, you are never going to have a running game.

5. DeJean is Elite. The guy is everywhere out there. When he's wasn't racking up 10 tackles and locking down receivers, he was returning puts and the gunner on the punt team. The guy is Tyler Sash or Amani Hooker out there and he hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling.

6. Saved By the Drops. At the end of the year, no one will remember how Iowa won...just that Iowa won. But if you think about it, if it weren't for 7 separate dropped passes by Iowa State and a missed field goal, the Hawks likely lose this game and the "Fire Brian" crowd would be yelling at a fever pitch. Even with all those drops and missed field goal, ISU's depleted offense still tied Iowa's offense with just 13 points each.
1 and 3 are ridiculous.

1. Cade is doing just fine. Luchey gets bumped on the one long 3rd down pass, throwing off that timing. Ragaini gets pulled down on the pick. And the TEs run into each other on a play. Last week he has 2 dropped td passes. Oh yeah, he's also playing on a leg injury that's bad enough to keep him from practicing fully. Pump the brakes.

2. Agree on JP's day. No idea why you feel the need to throw in the grill/dreads comment. It seriously has zero place in any analysis. Let me try to understand your point: does he run hard or not? If yes, as you say, what are you complaining about?

3. ISU threw the majority of their passes to the flats or on slants. Xavier, as a safety, is not near the ball on these plays. That's really all that needs to be said there.

4. Completely agree that we have to find a way to get the ball to WRs. With ISU DBs playing back 8-10 yards at times, we never once threw a quick slant, jet sweep, or made much effort to get the ball into their hands. We do have 2 fantastic tight ends. But we need to throw a bone to the WRs.

5. Cooper was awesome today. Absolutely awesome. He will spring a punt return when we need it (hopefully Penn State...)

6. They did have a few drops. 7?

MY BIGGEST BEEF:
We show very few plays that have any element of mystery to them. No fake jet sweeps to cause a defender's eyes or body to move. Easy to focus on what's coming.

BUT... we got a trophy back. 2-0. Next up.
Way better analysis - nice work

Aside from the missed long pass that would have been 6 I think McNamara played well. The INT gets called a DPI 99 times out of a 100. The defender literally grabbed him and pulled him down in order to make the catch.

Iowa State did have several drops, but some were on the QB for throwing behind his receiver and a couple were going no where anyway. Maybe a yard or less on 4. And they still converted a first on a number of those so they had minimal impact.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK

!. Cade has been limited and is far better than Petras. Because of the injury, maybe quick routes to limit contact? He'll be fine, let's sit him vs WMU.
2. Jaz is by far the best RB thus far. Not sure what is going on with KJ, but he can sit until he figures out if he is a power back and not a ballerina.
3. Now do Schulte. Both Safetys have been non factors, or at least are doing their jobs. That's a plus for the team.
4. WR's are not to be trusted, or just are plain bad. But agree, we need about 10 Seth A's on this team.
5. Agree.
6. Drops are part of the game. lack of concentration or fear of getting pummeled by an Iowa defender? I think the latter.

Counting missed opportunities on one side and not the other is very flawed analysis. Most of ISUs drops were short yardage passes that likely would have had limited impact. A few more first downs. It's possible a one of those cracks it open. It's more likely the same pattern of play continues.

Iowa missed opportunities as well. I would argue they missed even bigger ones.

Also the fg was blocked.

Cade missed on a couple of deep balls (one a bad overthrow and the other a significant underthrow) and if either one of those passes are accurate then this game would have never been close. I don't blame him for the INT as that was textbook DPI that went uncalled. On the whole, though, I must say that I've been underwhelmed by Cade. He looks to be roughly equivalent to Stanley and I hoped for more. I thought he was more athletic than this. Perhaps the injury is holding him back and he will improve as the season progreses.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
-I think Cade is still inconsistent because of missed playing time and his quad injury. I’m hopeful he’ll get better. I also wonder if they should sit him this next game
-I still think our WR’s are very subpar for P5
-Our OL is much better at pass pro than last year
-All and Lachey are a dangerous duo
-Patterson is the real deal. Doesn’t have elite speed but accelerates quickly and hits the hole with intention
-What happened to Johnson?
-Our defense is probably top 20 again but nowhere near last years defense
-Phil Parker might be the best coordinator in college football when you look at his results vs recruiting talent

-I think Cade is still inconsistent because of missed playing time and his quad injury. I’m hopeful he’ll get better. I also wonder if they should sit him this next game
-I still think our WR’s are very subpar for P5
-Our OL is much better at pass pro than last year
-All and Lachey are a dangerous duo
-Patterson is the real deal. Doesn’t have elite speed but accelerates quickly and hits the hole with intention
-What happened to Johnson?
-Our defense is probably top 20 again but nowhere near last years defense
-Phil Parker might be the best coordinator in college football when you look at his results vs recruiting talent
This receiver group look’s actually damn good if we actually threw them the ball. That Anderson catch was great and he made a helluva double move that McNamara absolutely should have hit him. Cades getting a free pass from everyone because he’s not Petras. I understand that but his stats were not good today and when he had game changing opportunities he missed them.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I guess I would have focused on a great run and an unbelievable double blitz pick up block to focus on during your first sentence breaking down Patterson's contributions today........... but you chose that to open up with. turribul.

This receiver group look’s actually damn good if we actually threw them the ball. That Anderson catch was great and he made a helluva double move that McNamara absolutely should have hit him. Cades getting a free pass from everyone because he’s not Petras. I understand that but his stats were not good today and when he had game changing opportunities he missed them.
Why are they non-existent besides 4-5 plays per game. I think our standard for playmaking at WR and most schools is substantially lower.

Xavier did have a pass break up.
Cade has the best passing touch we’ve had forever. Routes and play calling are the issue.
Yeah, safeties didn’t have a ton to because ISU had a very cautious passing strategy - 90% of the passes we’re outside the hashes.

cade - I thought he was a little off today. Seemed like a few passes were just that little bit behind where clones could make a play, or our guy couldn’t quite bring the ball in.

run blocking looked better today imo.

honestly had more issues with play calling today. Several run plays got blown up because Iowa used big formations and clones responded by overwhelming the blockers.

Aside from the missed long pass that would have been 6 I think McNamara played well. The INT gets called a DPI 99 times out of a 100. The defender literally grabbed him and pulled him down in order to make the catch.

Iowa State did have several drops, but some were on the QB for throwing behind his receiver and a couple were going no where anyway. Maybe a yard or less on 4. And they still converted a first on a number of those so they had minimal impact.

So many posters giving Cade crap for missing Anderson on the double move which would have been a 91 yard TD. Two things on that play, 1) Seth A got his feet tangled up with the DBAck just a bit coming out of the second move and 2) Cade was dodging and couple of blitzers/rushers and moving around and up in the pocket as he threw it.

Those two things just made the pass miss a bit. If Cade stays healthy enough and gets the time and if he is able to practice with these receivers I think they will find their timing.

Reactions: GlenHawk
I’m not talking about just today. You do understand it’s been awhile since we’ve utilized our receivers?
And it’s been since DJK and McNutt since we’ve had respectable P5 WR’s. There’s a reason why our top receiver was at Charleston Southern and not a respectable P5 school.

And it’s been since DJK and McNutt since we’ve had respectable P5 WR’s. There’s a reason why our top receiver was at Charleston Southern and not a respectable P5 school.
Actually Smith and Marsette was a pretty good combo. But yes, you’re right.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Cade has the best passing touch we’ve had forever. Routes and play calling are the issue.
I like Cade's touch, but he missed on two plays that ended up killing drives and they were bad throws on his part. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, though.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Like I don’t know one way or another if they are good. Hell no one knew Charlie Jones was a hell of a receiver until he left IA City

Who's fault was the play when our TEs ran into each other? Cade wasn't happy but I couldn't tell who messed up on the replay.

@Bulldogs1974 - sadly, the only play Xavier was involved in all day was the pass play he failed to turn around and look at the ball on, where the ball was headed right for Cooper DeJean's hands for an interception but instead it bounced off the back of Xavier's helmet.

@jerbob36 - how long are you going to play the "but he was hurt and that's why Cade didn't play great" card? He was hurt when he committed to Iowa. He was hurt for spring ball and fall ball. He's been hurt the first two games. At some point, he is what he is. It's the Keagan Johnson injury situation all over again.

@ICWestfan - are you saying both Iowa safeties have the same expectations and that X should perform no better than walk-on Schulte? Many are saying X will be a high round draft pick. Haven't quite heard the same on Schulte.

@houksyndrome - I think comparing Cade to a Stanley caliber QB is fair. Cade feels like a breath of fresh air compared with who we had at QB last year so he's beloved. Expectations of QB play are at an all-time low. Poor Stanley came right after the CJ Beathard era, so expectations of QB play were much higher.

@mlb1399 - sad but true. Any WR corp that starts Nico Ragaini is not a group ready for prime time. Still, even walk-on WRs should be faster than the tight ends and should be able to get open enough to catch balls 10 yards down the field.

@RocknRollface - what, exactly, makes Cade an "above average Big 10 QB right now?" He currently ranks 10th in passing yards, 11th in yards per attempt, and 12th in completion percentage. Not exactly stats worth of a franchise QB...let alone an "above average" one.

@sober_teacher - agreed. Say what you will about Iowa's blocking scheme being antiquated, but our offensive coordinator's inability to break tendencies is the reason the run game is so terrible. Ask any defense and they'll tell you they know exactly what play is coming before it's even called quite a bit of the time.

@Bulldogs1974 - sadly, the only play Xavier was involved in all day was the pass play he failed to turn around and look at the ball on, where the ball was headed right for Cooper DeJean's hands for an interception but instead it bounced off the back of Xavier's helmet.

@jerbob36 - how long are you going to play the "but he was hurt and that's why Cade didn't play great" card? He was hurt when he committed to Iowa. He was hurt for spring ball and fall ball. He's been hurt the first two games. At some point, he is what he is. It's the Keagan Johnson injury situation all over again.

@ICWestfan - are you saying both Iowa safeties have the same expectations and that X should perform no better than walk-on Schulte? Many are saying X will be a high round draft pick. Haven't quite heard the same on Schulte.

@houksyndrome - I think comparing Cade to a Stanley caliber QB is fair. Cade feels like a breath of fresh air compared with who we had at QB last year so he's beloved. Expectations of QB play are at an all-time low. Poor Stanley came right after the CJ Beathard era, so expectations of QB play were much higher.

@mlb1399 - sad but true. Any WR corp that starts Nico Ragaini is not a group ready for prime time. Still, even walk-on WRs should be faster than the tight ends and should be able to get open enough to catch balls 10 yards down the field.

@RocknRollface - what, exactly, makes Cade an "above average Big 10 QB right now?" He currently ranks 10th in passing yards, 11th in yards per attempt, and 12th in completion percentage. Not exactly stats worth of a franchise QB...let alone an "above average" one.

@sober_teacher - agreed. Say what you will about Iowa's blocking scheme being antiquated, but our offensive coordinator's inability to break tendencies is the reason the run game is so terrible. Ask any defense and they'll tell you they know exactly what play is coming before it's even called quite a bit of the time.
I actually can't disagree w/any of this but the X thing. We really haven't been tested much deep ( or at all) so it's hard to say. And while he's a 4 star recruit he is just a redshirt Freshman and Parker thinks highly enough of him to start so that tells me all I need to know.

I will always maintain the “what play is coming” argument is overblown to some degree. With how much scouting and prep coaches put into games anymore; I feel strongly that most good teams will know the tendencies and favorite play calls of their opponents.

I'm saying that X hasn't been needed is the defensive scheme yet, which is a good thing. I am not comparing our safeties, they are both good in run support, we don't know about the pass support (yet).

Reactions: littlez
Does anyone believe the op is an attorney?
You are misrepresenting his username due to his use of capitalization. Jim Bob is actually the man behind the cole slaw at Iowa's very own Machine Shed restaurant. See his latest pic from social media.

a7e50e0257c8d21526fc226ced764a1f.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT