ADVERTISEMENT

Is it fair to say that KF cant lose the ISU game this year and keep his job?

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
Of all the losses last year, that one was by far the worst. Then you add in the career record vs ISU and it becomes worse.

If KF loses to ISU is he dead man walking unless he were to run the table after that?

Of all the losses last year, that one was by far the worst. Then you add in the career record vs ISU and it becomes worse.

If KF loses to ISU is he dead man walking unless he were to run the table after that?

Depends on how the season plays out. I don't think we will lose to isu. I think it will be similar to the 2013 game where Iowa physically dominated isu. I expect however that unlike the 2013 game, Iowa will keep the pressure on and not simply try and run the clock out.

I don't think it will mean he would lose his job, necessarily, but he would certainly lose more fans. Last year's inexplicable loss cost him greatly in that regard. From what I can tell, there is a segment of the fan base that is hanging on by a thread (optimists by nature that just want to hold on to hope???), and an ISU loss will no doubt send a lot of these people to the sidelines (like me). But I don't expect them to lose (like I said, I'm an optimist....so shoot me).

barring a miraculous 2002 type season, I think OP makes a good argument. Iowa State will likely be better this year than last year so a loss is certainly possible. Hopefully KF has his team playing like his job is on the lline

Unfortunately no. I think Kirk could lose at ISU this year, win 7 games, go to a bowl game, and still have his job.

Kirk needs to win the ISU game from the momentum standpoint. Meaning, an awful lot of people are going to tune the season out if they go into ISU and lose to a bad, bad ISU team. The loss won't cost him his job but it will have a lot to do with fan interest. Iowa needs this game. Iowa should not lose to a bad ISU team. This is as down as ISU has been since some of the Walden years. ISU has been trending down and they are still beating us. No excuse. Kirk needs this win ... because he needs a win over a horrible ISU team.

Reactions: Khawk4
I'm of the opinion that Kirk only escapes the hang man after another loss to ISU if the Hawks win 10 games including a bowl game. Its that serious.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I'm not confident the Barta has the stones to send KF packing regardless of how the season ends....

I don't know about that, but I think it's fair to say that if Rhoads loses the Iowa game, he's history.

I think our chances are better beating anyone else on our schedule than ISU. I do not care if they come into that game with a 30 game losing streak, they beat us. KF finds a way to lose that one most years. Whatever he does is wrong.

I think it should, but it wont. I think we, as a fanbase, are finally fed up with losing that game. For a while, we would lose and say "well its their superbowl" or "we are more concerned with the B1G". Now, however, we are at the end of the line. If Iowa goes 7-5 with a loss to ISU, it aint going to be pretty at all. Hell, we could even win 9 games, but with a loss to ISU, its still going to piss a ton of people off, including me. Theres just no more excuses for losing to them. None, zero, zip. I dont think he gets fired before he gets on the bus if we lose, however, its going to be like adding gasoline to an already burning fire.

Rhoads should be more worried about UNI than Iowa. 3 years in a row to a FBS school would be pretty awful.
I think that goes without saying. In fact, losing to UNI would raise the real possibility of Rhoads not lasting the entire season.

On paper, there are five games on the ISU schedule that can be put in the "winnable" column. Not that ISU would be favored to win, and certainly not that ISU would win all of them, but five games that would not be major upsets if ISU were to win. As luck would have it, good or bad, those are the first five games on the schedule: Home games against UNI, Iowa and Kansas, and road games at Toledo and Texas Tech. Losing one of those just about guarantees no better than a 4-8 season.

Absolutely not. I think Kirk could lose to ISU the next three years and keep his job. Standards at Iowa aren't exactly sky high these days.
For whom? Just the football team?......

Ftr, the correct answer was 'it depends'. Like I said, anything less than 7-5 and Kirk is likely out even with a win over ISU. 6-6 with a loss to ISU would definitely have him in trouble.

Basically Kirk needs to win at least 8 games this year to rally some kind of support for the program or 2016 is essentially gonna be a lost season with even worse attendance figures, barring any surprise run of success.

P.S. Though random, it's worth noting that our fans, as fickle as they are (and as fanatic as they can be), only show up AFTER the program shows that it can win at a high level. Point being we didn't sell out every game in 2002. They needed that season to reignite the frenzy which lasted for quite a few years until we fell back into mediocrity. Now our fans are back to needing a reason to show up.

Reactions: NomisHawk
I think that goes without saying. In fact, losing to UNI would raise the real possibility of Rhoads not lasting the entire season.

On paper, there are five games on the ISU schedule that can be put in the "winnable" column. Not that ISU would be favored to win, and certainly not that ISU would win all of them, but five games that would not be major upsets if ISU were to win. As luck would have it, good or bad, those are the first five games on the schedule: Home games against UNI, Iowa and Kansas, and road games at Toledo and Texas Tech. Losing one of those just about guarantees no better than a 4-8 season.
Iowa State is more likely to start the season 4-0 than they are beating Texas Tech on the road. Of course with that said, there's gonna be at least one home Big 12 game where you play out of your ass like it's the Iowa game and possibly Texas as well because Rhoads just seems to give Texas a battle even though they usually end up doing enough to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think for the athletics department right now, 8 wins with a decent bowl game is the line for a good season. I don't think the claws come out until we drop another (maybe two) seasons with out a bowl. As long as there are signs of life this year (a bowl season), I don't think we see Ferentz's contract cut short. It would take 3-4 consecutive seasons of mediocrity (6-7 wins) for there to be a serious conversation. If we hit a 9-10 win season this year, the clock starts over.

I don't see it. Too many years left on that albatross of a contract. Now if we drop the opener AND ia st. on our way to a 3-4 win season, then all bets are off.

I think for the athletics department right now, 8 wins with a decent bowl game is the line for a good season. I don't think the claws come out until we drop another (maybe two) seasons with out a bowl. As long as there are signs of life this year (a bowl season), I don't think we see Ferentz's contract cut short. It would take 3-4 consecutive seasons of mediocrity (6-7 wins) for there to be a serious conversation. If we hit a 9-10 win season this year, the clock starts over.
IMO,there's no way KF get's an opportunity for 2 seasons in a row with 5 or less wins.

I remember Fred Grandy calling Iowans catatonic and therefore accepting Terry Branstad forever (and ever)...makes sense to me for KF to have a job four more years...regardless...

No, its not all about the B1G. That's important but ISU is our major rival-certainly for the Hawks that stay in Iowa. Iowa State has won 42 games in the last ten years. Six wins against Iowa. Losing against the Clowns hurts fan and donor moral. It also looks awful for bowl selection and recruits.

Reactions: TankHawk
If he don't 9 games this nightmare needs to end. Hawks owned the clones for years but now kf owns iowa and us damn fans.

The Ferentz vs. ISU situation is very unusual because pretty much everywhere else in the country a head coach isn't considered successful until/unless he consistently beats his rival. Especially in the case where the rival school doesn't traditionally do as well on a national level. Ferentz has by and large been given a free pass over the years on the ISU game for a litany of dubious reasons, such as "that is Iowa State's Super Bowl" or "Ferentz's teams always struggle out of the gate," to name a couple. I've always regarded those and other excuses or rationalizations as pretty idiotic and lame. In short, there is no logical reason why Ferentz should have a losing record against ISU, especially considering, sans Ferentz's first couple seasons, ISU has never had significantly greater talent on the field in any game they defeated Iowa in. The bottom line is this: ISU prepped better for Iowa and outplayed them in those losses. That simple.

As far as being on the hot seat goes, I have yet to read or hear anything that would give me an inkling of a belief that Barta has or will in the foreseeable future put pressure on Ferentz to perform and to at some reasonable level live up to the lofty contract extension he received a few years ago. I can already hear the spins and euphemisms coming now. "Despite this latest setback or disappointment we are pleased with Coach Ferentz, the job he has done over the years, and the direction the football program is heading...yadda...yadda...yadda." In other words, despite the cupcake schedule Iowa has this season, as long as Ferentz manages, like other posters have pointed out, to end up somewhere around 7-5 and makes a bowl game, it will be business as usual. Sad but true.

No, no one game should determine whether a coach is fired or not. If we go 8-4, and play well in a bowl game, there is no way that he should be fired.

I expect however that unlike the 2013 game, Iowa will keep the pressure on and not simply try and run the clock out.

The whole post, but especially this part is laughable. FOR YEARS we Hawk fans have said everything you just said. FOR YEARS we Hawk fans have watched KF's teams blow this game. There have maybe been 5 times when ISU had a team that "should" have beaten Iowa.

I personally believe Iowa State will win again this year. Talk out of Ames is that the RB might be the best in a long time (say last decade) and the WRs are really solid. The only question on their offense is the OL making enough holes and keeping the QB alive.

I am really worried that the Hawks could start off with 2 losses to teams with the initials ISU.

Last edited:
The whole post, but especially this part is laughable. FOR YEARS we Hawk fans have said everything you just said. FOR YEARS we Hawk fans have watched KF's teams blow this game. There have maybe been 5 times when ISU had a team that "should" have beaten Iowa.

I personally believe Iowa State will win again this year. Talk out of Ames is that the RB might be the best in a long time (say last decade) and the WRs are really solid. The only question on their offense is the OL making enough holes and keeping the QB alive.

I am really worried that the Hawks could start off with 2 losses to teams with the initials ISU.
On paper, ISU has the potential to be better than last year. But the scenario is littered with "buts" and "ifs."

For instance....
* Sam Richardson is a solid quarterback when he's healthy. BUT he's never been healthy for even half a season.
* The defense should be improved IF the juco transfers are close to as good as they appear to be on paper.

.....and so forth and so on. IMHO, the team should be better at every position except RB, and could be good there, IF the newbies are as good as advertised.

BUT we're still talking about a team that has won only 5 games the past two seasons and is again facing a difficult schedule. Plus, morale is a question, at least to those of us who know nothing about what's going on. Everybody knows Rhoads is on a very hot seat.

LC, my guess is both fan bases feel pretty similarly about their coaching staff and teams this year. Some potential here and there, but no reason to really BELIEVE it just yet. FWIW though, the Des Moines radio guys were really talking up the ISU running back, saying the word in Ames is he might be the best one they've had in a long time (guessing since Darren Davis?)

On paper, ISU has the potential to be better than last year. But the scenario is littered with "buts" and "ifs."

For instance....
* Sam Richardson is a solid quarterback when he's healthy. BUT he's never been healthy for even half a season.
* The defense should be improved IF the juco transfers are close to as good as they appear to be on paper.

.....and so forth and so on. IMHO, the team should be better at every position except RB, and could be good there, IF the newbies are as good as advertised.

BUT we're still talking about a team that has won only 5 games the past two seasons and is again facing a difficult schedule. Plus, morale is a question, at least to those of us who know nothing about what's going on. Everybody knows Rhoads is on a very hot seat.

Cant we say basically the same thing about Iowa? We have a lot of potential to be better than last year but we have a lot of "buts" and "ifs" . We lost our best player from last year and several other key players. We are banking on young linebackers being notably improved just because they are 365 days older and we replaced our starting RB (like him or not) . I dont see anything from our WR or TE that jumps out at me and our DL is a big question mark. I still think we should have more talent than ISU but we all know that doesnt mean anything in this game for some reason. And the biggest 2 questions for me are how is our OL going to look, and the obvious QB question. I like sunshine and hope he's the answer, but a lot of time last year he was better simply because he was a step faster at running out of trouble when our line broke down. Which I'm not convinced might happen a lot this year too.

LC, my guess is both fan bases feel pretty similarly about their coaching staff and teams this year. Some potential here and there, but no reason to really BELIEVE it just yet. FWIW though, the Des Moines radio guys were really talking up the ISU running back, saying the word in Ames is he might be the best one they've had in a long time (guessing since Darren Davis?)
I've heard similar things about the RB (Warren) from inside the program. They think they got a steal there. Legit speed. It all comes down to O-line for ISU and it's hard to see that group improving much. If it does Rhoads could save his job for another year. Like some Iowa fans with Kirk, though, I'm not sure that would be the best result for the long-term.

Are you talking about the California juco kid? I thought it wasn't even sure that he'd be eligible for this season. I was thinking mostly of the high school kid from Georgia who had offers from Ohio State and Wisconsin among a whole bunch of others. There's another freshman who's supposed to be pretty good, too.

The thing about running backs is that it seems experience is less important at that position than any other. They have to learn blocking and pass routes, of course, but basically they don't need nearly as much time to get into a position of being able to contribute.

KF has a better chance of keeping his job due to the crap schedule. He MIGHT be able to hide behind 6 or 7 wins. Rhoads doesnt have relief like that with the schedule. There's probably 4 or 5 games on the schedule they have a chance to win, not favored, a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT