ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Wrestleoffs

Swiddy came to ISU because of Metcalf.

I'm guessing the Cuban senses Metcalf wanted/expected Swiddy to win.

There's a story here, we just don't know the details yet.
I get what you’re saying.
Yeah I could definitely see that be what’s going on.
Could get interesting.

He got his 3 pt TD and pretty much ran the rest of the match which illustrates the issue with the 3pt TD. If a folkstyle novice can do this, what can some of the more savvy dudes do? I like Metcalf's view on celebrating after winning but am ok with the chest thumping after a close match.
With you on the 3 pt TD stuff, it could definitely become a problem and lead to stalling becoming an even bigger issue.

There is no need for celebrating on the mat/in the room when winning a wrestle off, though. It is indeed physiologically possible for Homo sapiens to show restraint in that situation. It used to be, at least.

WRT thumping his chest - that close win was the difference between being the starter and riding the pine (at least to start the season). It was undoubtedly a pretty big few seconds for him. I can understand the celebration.

He got his 3 pt TD and pretty much ran the rest of the match which illustrates the issue with the 3pt TD. If a folkstyle novice can do this, what can some of the more savvy dudes do? I like Metcalf's view on celebrating after winning but am ok with the chest thumping after a close match.
Guys ran* with a 2pt TD. ALL refs need to grow a pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and eb05
If stalling was called consistently across the board, it wouldn’t be an issue. In freestyle stalling is so much less arbitrary. If there is no scoring somebody is getting hit for passivity. If guys are scoring, it’s a non-issue
Exactly. There's just no quantifiable reason that if the score is 0-0 at the end of the first - someone isn't hit for stalling. And to be honest - someone should be down 1-0.

freestyle gets it right - you want guys to score? Punish them for not doing so.

If stalling was called consistently across the board, it wouldn’t be an issue. In freestyle stalling is so much less arbitrary. If there is no scoring somebody is getting hit for passivity. If guys are scoring, it’s a non-issue
This^^^

If Stalling was called correctly and consistently we would not be talking about this. Fact is even the new action call has been so inconsistent and called incorrectly half of the time

I like the 3 point takedown rule, but I'm afraid by the end of the year I am going to hate it. They are going to call stalling the same as in previous years (basically not at all other than a token stall at the end of a match). Now if a guy gets a takedown and rideout in period 1, he can take 2 stalling points and never go down if he struggles on the bottom and still win 4-3 with riding time. That is going to make for some boring matches I'm afraid. It may make for more exciting 1st periods though as well I guess. Time will tell.

I like the 3 point takedown rule, but I'm afraid by the end of the year I am going to hate it. They are going to call stalling the same as in previous years (basically not at all other than a token stall at the end of a match). Now if a guy gets a takedown and rideout in period 1, he can take 2 stalling points and never go down if he struggles on the bottom and still win 4-3 with riding time. That is going to make for some boring matches I'm afraid. It may make for more exciting 1st periods though as well I guess. Time will tell.
The 3 point takedown is going to be awesome for guys who want to score. Guys going for majors, techs and guys who are legitimately trying to make a comeback.

But the biggest issue hasn't been addressed (and FS did) - PUNISH guys for not scoring.

The 3 point takedown is going to be awesome for guys who want to score. Guys going for majors, techs and guys who are legitimately trying to make a comeback.

But the biggest issue hasn't been addressed (and FS did) - PUNISH guys for not scoring.
A 0-0 first period should be an automatic double stall call. No gray area there. Then stalling on the non aggressive wrestler moving forward will result in a point each time. That will prevent the aggressive wrestler from giving up a stalling point even if he failed to score in period 1.

A 0-0 first period should be an automatic double stall call. No gray area there. Then stalling on the non aggressive wrestler moving forward will result in a point each time. That will prevent the aggressive wrestler from giving up a stalling point even if he failed to score in period 1.
I like it

eh. someone is ALWAYS doing less. Grow a set and call it. When you put the onus on someone to score, scoring happens. 3 minutes is AN ABSURDLY LONG TIME to not have any scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT