ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Jerminic Smith looks to make an impact

Apr 8, 2003
Texas wide receiver Jerminic Smith put up huge numbers in high school with 68 catches for 1,216 yards and 12 touchdowns his senior year at South Garland. Now, the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Smith is bringing that playmaking ability to Iowa City where he hopes to play for the Hawkeyes as a freshman this year. We caught up with the three-star prospect to talk about preparing for college, when he will arrive at Iowa, and much more.

Q: What's your spring been like as you wrap up high school?

SMITH: It's been good. I've just been really focusing on finishing strong and trying to get ready to go down there to Iowa.

Q: When you make the move to Iowa City?

SMITH: June 10. I'm going to get down there right away to start summer school and start working out.

Q: What made you want to get there as soon as possible?

SMITH: I just want to try to learn as much as I can this summer.

Q: What are you looking forward to in getting up there this summer?

SMITH: Just really getting to know my teammates and putting in some work with them.

Q: Which coaches have you been talking with and what has been their message?

SMITH: I talk to Coach Kennedy, the receivers coach, and he's told me he's going to get me ready to play.

Q: Is that your mindset coming in, trying to get on the field as a true freshman? Is that your goal?

SMITH: Yeah, it is. Just helping out any way possible. If I get on the field, I've got to make plays. If I don't, I've got to wait my turn.

Q: Coming in, what are your strengths and what you still need to improve on?

SMITH: I've really improved on my weaknesses like getting off the line better and stuff like that.

Q: What are your strengths coming in as a receiver?

SMITH: My route running, my hands, and just being able to get open.

Q: Have you found out what number you are wearing at Iowa?

SMITH: #1.

Q: Is that what you wanted?

SMITH: Yeah, the receiver coach said he reserved my number, so I thanked him a lot for doing that.

Q: Going back to your recruiting, once you visited Iowa you came back and committed right away. What was it that you saw on that visit that made you comfortable?

SMITH: Just the atmosphere. I just fell in love and felt like I could make an impact there. I liked the strength and conditioning coach, the head coach, and everybody. It felt like home.

Q: After you committed, you had some Big 12 schools and others showing interest. What was that like as you had different schools trying to pull you in different directions?

SMITH: I was with Iowa all the way.

Q: Who were the other schools that came in and talked to you?

SMITH: TCU, Texas Tech, and OU.

Q: Did OU offer?

SMITH: No.

Q: But Texas Tech and TCU did at one point right?

SMITH: Yeah.

Q: Was it tough saying no to schools closer to home like that?

SMITH: Yeah, but I've got to do what I've got to do, so not really.

Q: Did your older brother play in junior college in the state of Iowa?

SMITH: Yeah, he played at Ellsworth. It's kind of in the country, but where I'm going is more in the city.

Q: Was that kind of what you expected on your first visit to Iowa City? That it was out in the country?

SMITH: Yeah, I did, but when I got there, it was great. It was like home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News