ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Flaherty has passed away....

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
A lot of you youngsters may not know him, but for anyone over 50, he was a writer/cast member for the "SCTV" television program (which was much better than Saturday Night Live). Other cast members included John Candy, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara, Harold Ramis, and Dave Thomas (as The Beaver). Martin Short and Rick Moranis were also members.

Joe was an extremely funny and talented man. His characters included Count Floyd, Guy Cabellero, and Big Jim McBob.

He was 82.

Last edited:
A lot of you youngsters may not know him, but for anyone over 50, he was a writer/cast member for the "SCTV" television program (which was much better than Saturday Night Live). Other cast members included John Candy, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara, Harold Ramis, and Dave Thomas (as The Beaver). Martin Short and Rick Moranis were also members.

Joe was an extremely funny and talented man. His characters included Count Floyd, Guy Cabellero, and Big Jim McBob.

He was 82.

Perhaps one of the greatest hours of comedic television I've ever watched was the episode of SCTV when the Soviets (3CP-1) jammed the station. Not only did you have all of the soviet interruptions (what fits into russia? uzbeks! hey giorgi! tibor's traktor), but that episode also included Al Jarreau and Eugene Levy hilariously standing "the jazz singer" on its head, and the mary martin "wet nurse" TV show promo. Guy Caballero handled that situation well with the way he left that Red Rooster in space. RIP.

1hh5d3.jpg

Reactions: cigaretteman
Perhaps one of the greatest hours of comedic television I've ever watched was the episode of SCTV when the Soviets (3CP-1) jammed the station. Not only did you have all of the soviet interruptions (what fits into russia? uzbeks! hey giorgi! tibor's traktor), but that episode also included Al Jarreau and Eugene Levy hilariously standing "the jazz singer" on its head, and the mary martin "wet nurse" TV show promo. Guy Caballero handled that situation well with the way he left that Red Rooster in space. RIP.
"No 3CP-2 jokes tonight, comrades!"

I watched that via a DVD from Netflix a few years ago.
Flaherty was under appreciated compared to some of his more famous colleagues. SCTV was groundbreaking, and because they beamed it in from exotic Canada it seemed a little like a forbidden fruit.

I watched that via a DVD from Netflix a few years ago.
Flaherty was under appreciated compared to some of his more famous colleagues. SCTV was groundbreaking, and because they beamed it in from exotic Canada it seemed a little like a forbidden fruit.
And yes, it was very much better and funnier than SNL.

Reactions: Aardvark86
The best part of that episode was when the Soviet minicam caught on fire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT