ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Brown & Jacob Bostick are the future at Wide Receiver?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
We don't get to see what goes on in practice but Nico gave us some insight on perhaps what is to come in 2024.

The full text of the tweet:

Asked Nico Ragaini, in perhaps his final interview as a Hawkeye, who the future at WR would be. Kaleb Brown for sure. And?

"Jake Bostick, for sure. With Vines leaving that opens up some opportunities for other guys. He’s had a couple injuries the past couple years which have held him out of some things, to see him able to play for a longer period of time I’ve seen a lot of growth in him. He’s playing different positions in the offense, which is definitely a big piece. … Definitely proud of him for that. I was just telling him how fast he looks out here recently. His long legs, with short shorts on, it looks like he’s going 10 yards in two strides. He looks good. I’m excited for him.”

Well now he will be hurt or ferentz will play all walk-ons or something… sorry my pessimism is at an all time high lately..

Reactions: DewHawk
The best thing to come from that interview is realizing that Nico’s reign of terror on the WR room is finally ending.
I have to say that is pretty cheap to take a swing like that at a guy who did nothing but try his best. Plus he made a lot of really good, tough catches over the years. People talk about some of his drops but a lot of those drops were high or low fast balls that were not perfectly places (same goes for other receivers). Why dont you remember the great alternate pass route, catch and hustle run TD against Penn St in 2021 or a whole lot of tough catches he made going over the middle or up the hashes. We know he is not an all american but he played hard.

Wouldn't it be nice if Jacob and Kaleb become guys who can be threats without perfect execution? We need a couple dudes who can just beat a guy for the ball. Also being able to do something after the catch would be nice.

I have to say that is pretty cheap to take a swing like that at a guy who did nothing but try his best. Plus he made a lot of really good, tough catches over the years. People talk about some of his drops but a lot of those drops were high or low fast balls that were not perfectly places (same goes for other receivers). Why dont you remember the great alternate pass route, catch and hustle run TD against Penn St in 2021 or a whole lot of tough catches he made going over the middle or up the hashes. We know he is not an all american but he played hard.
Like him or not, Nico is what he is which is a product of the staff's recruiting abilities, or lack thereof. He is a marginally serviceable WR in a room lacking both talent and health.

Some haters can't resist. Pathetic actually.

Trying your best isn’t what gets praised at this level.

Nico Ragaini was a below average receiver that should have been a career 2nd or 3rd stringer.

I am hopeful that Seth Anderson is the one who breaks out next year as i thought he looked the most polished of anyone in the WR group

Iowa just never threw him the ball much since 90% of the targets are to the TE or in the dirt.

He seemed to really struggle catching Deacons passes, which everyone did. But Anderson disappeared from games at the end.

I think with better scheme and an accurate QB and he’ll have better production. They all should.

Nico's career stats: 154 rec; 1606 yds; 5 total tds (1 rush); 10.4 yd/avg; 48 yd long.

That puts him #5 all time at Iowa in receptions and #19 in rec yds. He could easily pass Marv Cook and ISM in yds tomorrow. If he has a big day could conceivably catch Matt Vandeberg at #14 all time rec yds, though unlikely- he would need 80yds. He's already passed Ed Hinkel, Mo Brown, Tevaun Smith, Keenan Davis and many others. Granted Nico's played 6 yrs, but his first year he only had 1 catch for 7 yds and one year was the shortened covid year.

The team record during his time was 53-21, finished ranked 5 out of his 6 years (if they finished ranked this year), 3-1 in bowl games thus far.

I'd say Nico's under appreciated.

The best thing to come from that interview is realizing that Nico’s reign of terror on the WR room is finally ending.

Reign of terror? He's not been perfect, but I wouldn't call what he's produced that. It's not like he was betting the under against his own team or anything.

Reactions: Mister Plow
Nico's career stats: 154 rec; 1606 yds; 5 total tds (1 rush); 10.4 yd/avg; 48 yd long.

That puts him #5 all time at Iowa in receptions and #19 in rec yds. He could easily pass Marv Cook and ISM in yds tomorrow. If he has a big day could conceivably catch Matt Vandeberg at #14 all time rec yds, though unlikely- he would need 80yds. He's already passed Ed Hinkel, Mo Brown, Tevaun Smith, Keenan Davis and many others. Granted Nico's played 6 yrs, but his first year he only had 1 catch for 7 yds and one year was the shortened covid year.

The team record during his time was 53-21, finished ranked 5 out of his 6 years (if they finished ranked this year), 3-1 in bowl games thus far.

he's dropped a few here and there but who doesn't?

Reactions: tWarnerHawk
We’ve got plenty of shitty fans, who have no real appreciation. We’ve actually been to successful. They are spoiled.
it's always been that way to an extent, "fire KOK", "bench mccann"
but this year seems like there are an extra large amount of these guys, or they are extra loud

Reactions: cmhawks99
Trying your best isn’t what gets praised at this level.

Nico Ragaini was a below average receiver that should have been a career 2nd or 3rd stringer.
Not a Nico problem. It's a staff problem. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. Or maybe he should have gone to the coaches and told them to play someone else or recruit better players? Because those kinds of things happen every day in sports. Right?

All the other guys did that in 2-3 years not 6 freaking years. Dude has 4TD’s in 6 years.

That play in the endzone vs NW when he just stopped and let the DB make the interception about cost me a new tv.

Congrats on being a loyal Hawk but dude got his union card punched early and rode it for 6 years.

I’d like to see Anderson, Bostick, and Brown really step up tomorrow with Nico making some plays in the slot position. Hope he has a good game as his last as a Hawkeye. Hope Hill is not too amped up and throwing fastballs too high or low, get them the ball in space to run with a depleted Vol secondary. I just hope we see an offense not afraid to make plays but think this staff will be ultra conservative and wait for Tennessee make all the mistakes with a freshman qb.

We don't get to see what goes on in practice but Nico gave us some insight on perhaps what is to come in 2024.

The full text of the tweet:

Asked Nico Ragaini, in perhaps his final interview as a Hawkeye, who the future at WR would be. Kaleb Brown for sure. And?

"Jake Bostick, for sure. With Vines leaving that opens up some opportunities for other guys. He’s had a couple injuries the past couple years which have held him out of some things, to see him able to play for a longer period of time I’ve seen a lot of growth in him. He’s playing different positions in the offense, which is definitely a big piece. … Definitely proud of him for that. I was just telling him how fast he looks out here recently. His long legs, with short shorts on, it looks like he’s going 10 yards in two strides. He looks good. I’m excited for him.”
u

Bostick received an invite to OSU's camp but didn't get offered. I was excited when he became a Hawk. If he can stay healthy, look out.

Reactions: cmhawks99
All the other guys did that in 2-3 years not 6 freaking years. Dude has 4TD’s in 6 years.

That play in the endzone vs NW when he just stopped and let the DB make the interception about cost me a new tv.

Congrats on being a loyal Hawk but dude got his union card punched early and rode it for 6 years.
Yeah you're right. Lot's of other guys would have killed it the last 3 years. You should name them.

Call a spade a spade...Nico dropped a LOT of perfectly catchable balls in his career. I joke routinely with my brother he would be the all-time leader at Iowa if it was tracked.

What is your problem? Fixated on Brian? He is gone after tomorrow.

New OC on the horizon. Sit back and enjoy the ride for awhile. Life's too short.
No problem. Was more sarcastic than anything… won’t be real sad to see a new OC tho that is forsure!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT