ADVERTISEMENT

KCRG just teased- Wrestling at Kinnick

Vallholl

HR Legend
Feb 2, 2013
Are you kidding me? Heat the mat with hot air forced in for the wrestlers with fans in the elements. A triangular with ISU and UNI.

This is my idea to draw 40,000 to a wrestling meet.

Is 'this for real?

Reactions: el dub
Reporting on rumors for 11:14:15 against Minnesota or Okie State (check the twitter). This would be held before the Minnesota Football game.

Seriously, my head might explode.

Hopefully against Okie state, that would be a crazy dual. Both teams will contend for the team title next year. Can you imagine 40k Hawkeye fans cheering in unison?

Although we cant yell 'twoooooooo' for takedowns anymore... maybe 'threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

How long until someone posts the average weather graphs for November 14? I feel like they would have to invent another word that is more intense than "Epic" to describe this event.

Hopefully against Okie state, that would be a crazy dual. Both teams will contend for the team title next year. Can you imagine 40k Hawkeye fans cheering in unison?

Although we cant yell 'twoooooooo' for takedowns anymore... maybe 'threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

Wait. What?

Btw, this is already being discussed in the "good news" thread.

How long until someone posts the average weather graphs for November 14? I feel like they would have to invent another word that is more intense than "Epic" to describe this event.

CR reporter already did on Twitter this afternoon...

@Hlas: Trying this again. The average temperature range in Iowa City on Nov. 14 is a high of 49 and a low of 32: https://t.co/bJP73tG94n

Ha, this is cool, but picking a fight with a school that has a 100K stadium, this record won't last long.

Wait. What?

Btw, this is already being discussed in the "good news" thread.

My bad, I'm in summer / fall mode. Wrestling moves down to priority list and I miss somethings. This would never happen in November.

My bad, I'm in summer / fall mode. Wrestling moves down to priority list and I miss somethings. This would never happen in November.

No big deal. Just thought I would point it out.

The bigger issue in the post I replied to us the claim we can't yell "two" anymore. Why not?

No big deal. Just thought I would point it out.

The bigger issue in the post I replied to us the claim we can't yell "two" anymore. Why not?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the scoring just get changed and will be in place for this upcoming season? 3 for takedown, 2, 3, or 4 points of nearfall?

The three for a takedown is only at the All-Star Classic, will be two for the rest of the season. As far as the nearfall, it's two (two seconds) or four (four seconds).

Idc the size of the stadium, no one will fill their football stadium lol... And if anyone were to do it it be Iowa. So put me the not worried category:)

Reactions: andegre
"True, but if they took it as a challenge and with the way PSU is excited about wrestling right now, they just might do it."

I hope they try--Its good for wrestling !! Expose as many fans as possible.

What Novakht said. Taking this level of excitement to all parts of the country will be a huge boost to the sport.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Are you kidding me? Heat the mat with hot air forced in for the wrestlers with fans in the elements. A triangular with ISU and UNI.

This is my idea to draw 40,000 to a wrestling meet.

Is 'this for real?

Welcome back, Vall!

Heck -- if Iowa fans take this as a challenge, I don't see why we couldn't fill the place. Shoot -- fans will be around for the football game, anyway, and it would be a huge novelty. I bet we could get close to a sellout of Kinnick, with the right kind of pre-event promotion.

That's basically what I'm getting at. If you got two passionate fan bases trying to one up each other, obviously the one with 20K more available seats to fill (and a bigger population base) will have an advantage.

Agree that it's great for wrestling. What's next Ok St is going to go for filling half of GIA?

Reactions: HAWKMANN
Brent looks to be excited about the meet.

64w36DNp_bigger.jpeg
Brent Metcalf‏@BHMetcalf 19h19 hours ago

Brent Metcalf retweeted Hawkeye Wrestling

@Hawks_Wrestling fans, tired of some other school holding the attendance record? This year is comes home.

CLAxPGgUMAANLht.jpg

Reactions: Ryno95
Ha, this is cool, but picking a fight with a school that has a 100K stadium, this record won't last long.

Uhhh, ok? Are you thinking either of us would sell this out?

Couldn't PSU have fit more in than they already did?

Welcome back, Vall!

Heck -- if Iowa fans take this as a challenge, I don't see why we couldn't fill the place. Shoot -- fans will be around for the football game, anyway, and it would be a huge novelty. I bet we could get close to a sellout of Kinnick, with the right kind of pre-event promotion.

Uhhh, ok? Are you thinking either of us would sell this out?

Couldn't PSU have fit more in than they already did?
Making this an "event", pairing it with a football crowd already in town, getting students into it as a school spirit thing, and I think you can get massive numbers - most there for the spectacle. I can imagine Iowa getting a huge crowd and then Penn State or Ohio State taking on the challenge with bigger student bodies. It's like Spring Football games when some fanbases got very competitive about attendance.

Should be pretty cool. Like the outdoor hockey games the NHL and Michigan/MSU have done

Reactions: Azchief32
That's basically what I'm getting at. If you got two passionate fan bases trying to one up each other, obviously the one with 20K more available seats to fill (and a bigger population base) will have an advantage.

Agree that it's great for wrestling. What's next Ok St is going to go for filling half of GIA?

And I agree. But it's great for the sport, so as long as the sport is being promoted, I don't much care who has the attendance record. We all know Iowa has dominated attendance for decades and that Iowa has the biggest and most passionate wrestling fan base in the nation. The actual single-event attendance record is more of a gimmick than anything. While I'd prefer that Iowa hold it, if other schools are going to pack their football stadiums for wrestling meets, that's fine by me, and they can have the darn record in that case. We'll just have to look for a bigger venue -- maybe Living History Farms in Des Moines. Shoot -- they packed in several hundred thousand there when the Pope came to town!

Vall...missed you bruh...took them to actually schedule a match outdoors to get you to post? Thought the "Willie" or the recruiting thread/per day would have brought you out of the woodwork.

Wonder what the Pope is weighing in at? Maybe an exhibition match between him and Renteria would put the record out of reach forever.

You're right. I saw John Paul II at Living History Farms and that drew about 350,000 and he didn't even wrestle anybody, much less a Hawkeye recruit. Francis- Renteria would be huge and a very interesting style match-up.

Making this an "event", pairing it with a football crowd already in town, getting students into it as a school spirit thing, and I think you can get massive numbers - most there for the spectacle. I can imagine Iowa getting a huge crowd and then Penn State or Ohio State taking on the challenge with bigger student bodies. It's like Spring Football games when some fanbases got very competitive about attendance.

Should be pretty cool. Like the outdoor hockey games the NHL and Michigan/MSU have done
and, with playing MN in football, they will certainly be sending a ton of people to the football game after that a$$ kicking they gave us last year. they have a decent wrestling following so they will bring a good number of people for it as well

Unlike Hilton Colosseum, Cael can't put a curtain up at Beaver Stadium to even give the appearance of a sellout.

In all seriousness, a bigger stadium for Penn State just means a higher number of empty seats. Neither would sell out...

Unlike Hilton Colosseum, Cael can't put a curtain up at Beaver Stadium to even give the appearance of a sellout.

In all seriousness, a bigger stadium for Penn State just means a higher number of empty seats. Neither would sell out...
That is unless they pull what they pulled when they "Sold Out" the Pitt dual in 2013

Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
And I agree. But it's great for the sport, so as long as the sport is being promoted, I don't much care who has the attendance record. We all know Iowa has dominated attendance for decades and that Iowa has the biggest and most passionate wrestling fan base in the nation. The actual single-event attendance record is more of a gimmick than anything. While I'd prefer that Iowa hold it, if other schools are going to pack their football stadiums for wrestling meets, that's fine by me, and they can have the darn record in that case. We'll just have to look for a bigger venue -- maybe Living History Farms in Des Moines. Shoot -- they packed in several hundred thousand there when the Pope came to town!
That is certainly the case for the current "record holder" as far as Wrestling goes, and all the wrestling fans know that, unless you buy into people falling all over themselves to attend Pitt wrestling events ...........................

For Football and Basketball its a matter of who has the largest venue. For Wrestling, the records have largely been because of the competition facing each other. Minnesota has moved it to larger local professional sports venues a time or 2, but I don't consider that "gimmicky", there was a ton of interest with 2 great teams on those occasions, and people were going to show up no matter where it was held. Not everyone has a larger nearby arena to do such things.

Without looking it up, the large majority of the "biggest" crowds have been Iowa versus some GREAT Iowa State, Okie State or Minnesota teams (and a couple of Penn State teams I presume). You don't need gimmicks for people to show up for those #1 versus #2 battles.

Not a big fan of the "gimmick" deal, but people love "records" and they love making money, so there you have it. What Iowa is apparently planning is "different" and it's interesting, but that's about where it begins and ends for me. Too old I suppose.:D

It won't be vs Minnesota. Guessing UNI or most likely
Okie state.

Surprised there isn't a bit more buzz on here about this. Only 30 some posts so far. This is will be a pretty fun day.

Imagine if it were to snow! That would be great to see but it would also be a huge PR day. All the national news would lead with it.

Okie state.

Surprised there isn't a bit more buzz on here about this. Only 30 some posts so far. This is will be a pretty fun day.

Imagine if it were to snow! That would be great to see but it would also be a huge PR day. All the national news would lead with it.

I think everyone can only speculate right now. There's plenty of buzz! Also the press conference is next week for it.

Okie state.

More than anything, I'm skeptical it will work. A lot of my skepticism comes from the disappoint that the student body hasn't really supported this team the last couple of years, at least in terms of showing up to dual meets. I don't see this getting a lot of traction unless it's PSU and Cael. You need to entertain, and I don't think ISU or UNI provides that right now and quite frankly even though they've been good, the Hawkeyes themselves haven't been real entertaining to watch. I also don't think ISU or UNI pulls people from their tailgates for a Minnesota game. If it was a football game against Minny, maybe. Cael, I think pulls the casual fan, just because he's "hated" around here.

I do think we break the record, but I'm guessing around 20-22K show up to watch. Hope I'm wrong.

More than anything, I'm skeptical it will work. A lot of my skepticism comes from the disappoint that the student body hasn't really supported this team the last couple of years, at least in terms of showing up to dual meets. I don't see this getting a lot of traction unless it's PSU and Cael. You need to entertain, and I don't think ISU or UNI provides that right now and quite frankly even though they've been good, the Hawkeyes themselves haven't been real entertaining to watch. I also don't think ISU or UNI pulls people from their tailgates for a Minnesota game. If it was a football game against Minny, maybe. Cael, I think pulls the casual fan, just because he's "hated" around here.

I do think we break the record, but I'm guessing around 20-22K show up to watch. Hope I'm wrong.
I think it will depend on how they arrange it with the football game following. I do think Minnesota fans will travel really well for this FB game and they have a pretty good wrestling following. combine that with Ok State and I think you will see over 30k with no problem. Particularly if it is pretty mild weather wise.

there will be 70,000 people here for a night football game already, why not go to the wrestling meet before hand!

Parking could be crazy though.

Okie state.

Won't be UNI. My guess is Oklahoma State...early enough for their fans to shoot over to Ames for the Iowa State game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT