ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick Renovation?

MepoDawg#

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2012
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...illion-renovation-of-kinnick-stadium-20150728

Improvements to the north stands currently under consideration include:

 Fixing all seating issues;

 Creating suites and other premium seating options;

 Improving concourse amenities;

 Increasing audio/visual technology and “branding” throughout;

 Creating spaces with modern amenities such as plazas and patios;

 Modernizing restroom facilities;

 Updating food-service/vending options;

 Developing additional resource opportunities for non-game day events/programs;

 Improving accessibility for fans; and

 Improving the flow of spectators within and around the north side of the stadium.

Would be sweet if they would re-do the NEZ but then add a 3rd tier that connected the main grandstands to the NEZ to fill it in and add capacity a smidge. Would look awesome and more intimidating.

What, exactly, are the seating issues?

Also, this is only for the North stands? I haven't sat there in years.

"...This project is eyeing more suites and premium seating options..."

Sounds like this is trying to upgrade the North to catch up with everywhere else. The North restrooms/concourse get complained about a lot, so I guess this is probably welcome.

Will they go further North to narrow the street?

How wide are the seats now? I know that when they expanded capacity sometime in the Fry area, one of the things was painting the seat numbers closer together in some areas. I think those were widened again in the most recent renovation.

Nebraska, I think, has 18-inch seats. I've read somewhere that Michigan's are the smallest.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
An $85M new dorm located near Kinnick and the West Campus Transportation center. Wow, they're really going all out with facilities.

What, exactly, are the seating issues?

Also, this is only for the North stands? I haven't sat there in years.

"...This project is eyeing more suites and premium seating options..."

Sounds like this is trying to upgrade the North to catch up with everywhere else. The North restrooms/concourse get complained about a lot, so I guess this is probably welcome.

Will they go further North to narrow the street?
I've been in the NEZ for 10 years, to me the issue with seating isn't seat width, but depth of the rows. You have to basically wrap your knees around the person in front of you, and if someone wants out, your toes are going to become mashed potatoes. And if a drunk person tries to get through, well, it isn't pretty. If they could somehow take a few rows out of the end zone and make each row deeper, I would be all for it.

Reactions: Herkmeister
An $85M new dorm located near Kinnick and the West Campus Transportation center. Wow, they're really going all out with facilities.

They're staying ahead of the curve. The ui needs more student dorms anyways and this would be a huge selling point for all athletic teams.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...illion-renovation-of-kinnick-stadium-20150728

Improvements to the north stands currently under consideration include:

 Fixing all seating issues;

 Creating suites and other premium seating options;

 Improving concourse amenities;

 Increasing audio/visual technology and “branding” throughout;

 Creating spaces with modern amenities such as plazas and patios;

 Modernizing restroom facilities;

 Updating food-service/vending options;

 Developing additional resource opportunities for non-game day events/programs;

Replacing Old, Outdated Offensive Schemes

 Improving accessibility for fans; and

 Improving the flow of spectators within and around the north side of the stadium.

About time.

Had season tickets next to one of the tunnels in the NEZ last season. If you're a sardine, you'd love it there. As a previous poster noted, although the seats are none too wide, the big problem is how the rows are stacked on top of one another. There's no place for fans' legs and feet. It's a pretty miserable place to sit. And it's much worse when Iowa loses to ISU and has to rally in the last five minutes to thwart mighty Ball State.

But I can't make sense of the description of what they want to do with it. I guess just about anything would be an improvement. I like one poster's idea of tying into main stands in each corner. Maybe they can turn the whole thing into a combo restaurant and luxury box area to accommodate more of the monied class. Maybe Donald Trump would be interested in naming rights, you know, something like Trump Plaza. He says he has all those billions, so why not let him invest in the Hawkeyes? Or maybe he'd like to be the new head coach after he's done being president. LOL

Just curious, what does a brand new stadium run now a days?

Good question. Pro stadiums seem to be +$1.5B now, but I'm not even sure what new college stadiums have been built recently.

Baylor just built a brand-spanking new one. 45,000 seats (smart), on the water, $250+ Million
454441636.jpg

mclane-stadium-aerial-01.jpg

Houston built one in 2014 for 40,000 people, and $120M
premium_landscape.jpg

Renovations seem to be fairly rampant and range from $20M to $80M.

Reactions: ichawk24
Just curious, what does a brand new stadium run now a days?

I think Minnys 50-55 k stadium ran about 288 million. The university is on the hook for half because TCF provides sponsorship. Can you get that kind of sponsorship in Iowa? Not sure so you are probably looking at 350 million plus to get to 70 k.

If they get the North all that is left is east & west stands that can be connected in the future to the end zones. They cannot now due to structural concerns with the old from what I have heard. When the east & west happens then you have a new stadium more or less but you were able to chunk it out.

If you build a new stadium chances are it is not where it is now also.

My only concern knowing this administration is doing it right. Please spend the money so the end product including the North is top notch and looks B1G time. Do not short change this to keep it in some reasonable budget and end up missing the mark.

The ui needs more student dorms anyways and this would be a huge selling point for all athletic teams.

in addition to the new dorm just opening this fall? Peterson, housing 500+?
10 years ago, no problem, donors step up and fund everything.
But, with donations dropping, ticket sales projected to lose ground, not sure this is a great idea.

ASU is doing a much needed $256 million renovation to Sun Devil Stadium. They are bowling in the South Endzone (will add seats to lower level to 40k) and they are taking out a lot of seats up top. Bathroom/Concessions renovations, Suites added, Video Boards added, practice facilities, locker rooms, ect.

635724755628579807-4.jpg

ASU has won 10+ games the past 2 seasons and Todd Graham has the program on the rise. They're going to be a top 10-15 program for years to come.

Long overdue. I had season tix there about 8 yrs ago. Worst season ever. They were right in the middle of the aisle. After a couple games we decided we'd rather just stand in the Northwest corner all game long.

I knew about this one next to Hillcrest:
B9317004694Z.1_20150416222435_000_GRTAHCULB.1-0.jpg

I wasn't aware of the Madison Street one opening 2017:
madison-street-residence-hall.jpg

Looks like by North Hall, across the river from Hancher/Theater bldgs. Supposed to be biggest on campus, housing 1,000?

Right now seems like quite possibly the worst time to renovate. "Hey y'all, we realize the product on the field has sucked for the last 5 years and you've lost interest. Maybe if we spend more money on the fans the product on the field will change."

Reactions: Herkmeister

Looks like by North Hall, across the river from Hancher/Theater bldgs. Supposed to be biggest on campus, housing 1,000?

It had been far too long since Iowa built new dormitories, and these will be much needed. Let us also not forget that Quad is on it's last legs.

10 years ago, no problem, donors step up and fund everything.
But, with donations dropping, ticket sales projected to lose ground, not sure this is a great idea.
Donations are doing anything but dropping...

You hear the squeaky wheels on here, but money continues to flow into athletics and the U more broadly.

Right now seems like quite possibly the worst time to renovate. "Hey y'all, we realize the product on the field has sucked for the last 5 years and you've lost interest. Maybe if we spend more money on the fans the product on the field will change."

The "product" on the field has not been what everyone has wanted, for sure. But, "sucked"? I guess our definitions of the word differ.

Probably, but when the time comes, a new coach is going to step into a pretty nice situation with Iowa's facilities.

Iowa needs to up grade in some areas...the problem it will only bring them up to what 25 or 30 other schools already have. Nice facilities help but Michigan with poorer facilities will out recruit Iowa. The same can be said for Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and just about all but a couple of SEC schools.

Dang...had no idea all this was going on in Iowa City. I only went back once last year, for the ISU game, so obviously I'm not up-to-date on all the changes taking place.

My question for the new dorm by the river would be how are they going to address the issue of flooding, especially after the '08 flood wrecked Mayflower.

Dang...had no idea all this was going on in Iowa City. I only went back once last year, for the ISU game, so obviously I'm not up-to-date on all the changes taking place.

My question for the new dorm by the river would be how are they going to address the issue of flooding, especially after the '08 flood wrecked Mayflower.
ritual_bailing_of_bob_as_rain_continues._laurieton_feb_2012_scale.jpg

It had been far too long since Iowa built new dormitories, and these will be much needed. Let us also not forget that Quad is on it's last legs.

They just redid a portion of Quad, looked pretty nice, iirc the only ones with airconditioning, the envy of the building.

They are having a couple floors of parking in the base that will allow controlled flooding. If you are familiar with the North Campus Ramp, and the arm that extends from it, that arm is supposedly being extended to connect to the new dorm. If there is flooding, residents can use the arm for entry and exit.

Quad has already been mostly demolished and the rest is coming down soon. I believe for a new College of Pharmacy or College of Public Health, I forget which.

Quad has already been mostly demolished and the rest is coming down soon. I believe for a new College of Pharmacy or College of Public Health, I forget which.

Is that correct? I just read a news story stating that Quad isn't coming down until sometime in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT