ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray Selected #23 overall by the Portland Trail Blazers. Will get 4 year, $14.2M Contract (3rd & 4th years are Club Option)

I don’t follow the draft closely, at all, so maybe this is a silly question. But…

To what extent do you think Keegan’s performance this past year influenced Kris’s draft position?

I love them both and am especially excited for Kris-but I have to admit that he seems to have gone higher than expected. Is there any chance that the kid is riding on Keegan’s coattails?

I don’t follow the draft closely, at all, so maybe this is a silly question. But…

To what extent do you think Keegan’s performance this past year influenced Kris’s draft position?

I love them both and am especially excited for Kris-but I have to admit that he seems to have gone higher than expected. Is there any chance that the kid is riding on Keegan’s coattails?
High ceiling. Good 3 pt shooter. Long and athletic. 20 ppg in the BIG is damn good.

For the second consecutive season, the Iowa Hawkeyes have had a player selected in the first round of the NBA Draft. Kris Murray was taken by the Portland Trailblazers with the 23rd pick in the first round of Thursday night's draft. A year ago, Keegan Murray, Kris' twin brother, was taken fourth overall by the Sacramento Kings.

Kris Murray's selection by Portland in the first round means that Iowa has had first round selections in the NBA Draft in consecutive seasons for the first time in over 50 years. The only other time it happened was when John Johnson was taken seventh overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers (1970) and Fred Brown was taken sixth overall by the Seattle SuperSonics (1971).

The Murrays become the eighth set of siblings to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft and the fourth set of twin brothers to be taken in the first round. Brook and Robin Lopez were drafted 10th and 15th overall in 2008. Marcus and Markieff Morris were selected 13th and 14th overall in 2011. And Amen and Ausar Thompson were taken 4th and 5th overall earlier in this very draft.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/kris-murray-drafted-23rd-by-portland-trailblazers

Congrats, Kris.

Since the first mock draft came out until today, Kris has always been projected as a first rounder and I would say that was based on what the NBA scouts have seen in Kris' play, not on Keegan's performance. Yes, they are twins, but the NBA scouts still attended Kris' college games and they continued to evaluate him at the NBA Combine and at individual work outs heading up to the draft.

Keegan, of course, was the #4 overall pick last year based on the same types of evaluations. Two different players; 2 different evaluations and draft results.

Awesome! Congrats to Kris and a big "told you so" to the naysayers on this board chirping about "he's not ready for the NBA and needs another year."

More west coast flights on the docket for the Murray family. Sac and Portland. What an amazing Legacy they've left at Iowa.

There’s an existing relationship with Kris and Portland star guard Damian Lillard.

FzRlVxQWAAI_5aT

FzRlVxSX0AAIejY

FzRlVxSXwAAnX8W

Reactions: JuiceHawk
If they don’t trade him it is an interesting position for him as a first rounder. All of the pressure to perform and live up to expectations from the team and fan base will be on their earlier pick at #3. A pick that high is expected to be a starter quickly. For Kris, he doesn’t need to be a star or starter, just needs to show he belongs. Almost like an early 2nd round pick, except he has a guaranteed contract so the team will try to make it work.

Reactions: amahawk

Largely his 20/8 production is what propelled him. Seeing what Keegan did probably did not hurt of course. Like Keegan, I think Kris will benefit from being a 3rd or 4th option and should be really efficient as a spot up 3 point shooter. Will get some put backs, grit points as well.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
If Kris was named after Chris, shouldnt his name be Chris and not Kris?

Long before their marriage, Kenyon had shared with Michelle his desire to name their first-born son after Chris Street. Kenyon wanted to spell his son’s first name Kris, not Chris, to keep the “Ks’ in the family.

Kenyon and Michelle (Murray) are the parents of Keegan and Kris Murray. If there are still questions.

https://www.si.com/college/iowa/basketball/kris-murray-emerging-in-second-season

High floor and low ceiling is just being lazy as a talent evaluator. With how young an age they are being drafted at now, there is a great deal of speculation. Prime example, the entire history of the NBA draft. Smart people, who do this for a living, can still make decisions throughout the years just make you scratch your head. Granted, we have the benefit of hindsight in our favor.

Like the Kings the blazers are a "hidden" NBA franchise that has struggled but has a fanatical fan base.
Kris has a good chance to play solid minutes immediately.
Damn near perfect landing spots for the twin Hawkeyes. Congrats to Kris and whole Murray family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT