ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about Michael Payne.

I got his autograph when he worked at some little sporting goods store by Allen's at First Ave./10th? St.

Building on the NW corner, kitty corner from Allen's.
I was working at Jumers in Bettendorf at the time and Payne was working for one of the beer distr at the time. I remember him delivering kegs in the summer down stairs to our banquet area, and he had to duck when he came in the door......

Reactions: amahawk
Yes, I was incorrect in stating Iowa had lost to Missouri to end the season, my bad. At the time it was one of my darkest days in my life, and Lute leaving Iowa for Arizona was another blow that took months to overcome.
Damn tough loss. I felt your pain. I graduated HS same year as Hansen and Gannon and followed them closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
Not the case at all, get your facts straight, Payne was a center at Quincy that had just finished their season as Illinois State Champions.
After coming to Iowa his freshmen year, he was again put at the center position where he was much more comfortable playing with his back to the basket and played pretty good that year averaging over 10 a game.
The next year, the last for Lute Olsen, Lute decided to play Greg Stokes in the middle even though he was a couple inches shorter then Payne and moved Payne to the wing, hence the twin towers.
Payne never felt comfortable playing facing the basket and he struggled in his playing consistency, he still was awful good just not as good as everyone predicted he would become. Stokes playing the center position was probably the right choice as he improved greatly from his freshman year to his sophomore year and was much more muscular then the rail thin Michael. That was a great team and losing to Missouri to end the season and Lute leaving Iowa for Arizona really was a major downer for us rabid Iowa Hawkeye basketball fans.
Beat Missouri, lost to Villanova, but good take

Not the case at all, get your facts straight, Payne was a center at Quincy that had just finished their season as Illinois State Champions.
After coming to Iowa his freshmen year, he was again put at the center position where he was much more comfortable playing with his back to the basket and played pretty good that year averaging over 10 a game.
The next year, the last for Lute Olsen, Lute decided to play Greg Stokes in the middle even though he was a couple inches shorter then Payne and moved Payne to the wing, hence the twin towers.
Payne never felt comfortable playing facing the basket and he struggled in his playing consistency, he still was awful good just not as good as everyone predicted he would become. Stokes playing the center position was probably the right choice as he improved greatly from his freshman year to his sophomore year and was much more muscular then the rail thin Michael. That was a great team and losing to Missouri to end the season and Lute leaving Iowa for Arizona really was a major downer for us rabid Iowa Hawkeye basketball fans.
Fact is that Iowa beat Mizzou. :)

Yes, I was incorrect in stating Iowa had lost to Missouri to end the season, my bad. At the time it was one of my darkest days in my life, and Lute leaving Iowa for Arizona was another blow that took months to overcome.
I could tell at the post game interview he was gone. He seemed too relaxed. Agree....dark day.

Iowa City bad memories:
Lute sold his house to a local banker. His son, who was raised in Lute’s house, became a banker, developed a drug problem and eventually murdered his wife and four children before taking his own life.

Iowa City bad memories:
Lute sold his house to a local banker. His son, who was raised in Lute’s house, became a banker, developed a drug problem and eventually murdered his wife and four children before taking his own life.
Ahh yes, and those kids were korean orphans who had disabilities. Quite a fate to bring them from Korea and bludgeon them to death in river city.

Well, he "seemed" more athletic than he really was, if that makes any sense. He could run the floor and move well and he got into position to score a lot of points, but he missed more layups and 3 footers than anyone I've ever seen. Shot just below 45%, which isn't very good for an inside player.

Stokes, for example, shot 54.5% for his career.
That's exactly how I remember him as well. If he had made half the bunnies that he missed, his scoring average would have been points more than it was. Too bad. He was quite the get for Lute.

I remember the Hawkeyes beating Keith Lee and Memphis (State) I think Banks ran the point that game.
I believe I was in Florida for the Gator Bowl when that game was played, although I had set up my VCR to record it. Still have all those old games on videotape. A side note: The Gator Bowl was the coldest football game I ever sat through, and to top it off, we sucked in that game.

Reactions: amahawk and littlez
I believe I was in Florida for the Gator Bowl when that game was played, although I had set up my VCR to record it. Still have all those old games on videotape. A side note: The Gator Bowl was the coldest football game I ever sat through, and to top it off, we sucked in that game.
Wasn't it super foggy too?

Iowa City bad memories:
The other family was neighbors down the street from Lute, the dad was an attorney, the son was a banker. They never lived in Lute's house.

Iowa City bad memories:
Lute had a house in IC before they moved to McBride?

Michael Payne and Kevin Boyle were two of Lute's players who regressed in their careers. Granted Payne had Raveling later, but it was sort of a strange case. Its been a long time now.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT