ADVERTISEMENT

Levar Woods - Bucs' with a virtual interview conducted today with Iowa's ST coordinator

If Iowa doesn't have a shockingly good run from now until Kirk retires then how would you feel justified hiring Wallace OR Woods as next HC (assuming both are still on staff throughout). This ain't the late 90's and even then Bob Stoops wanted this job. Look at it this way. The final 2 candidates from that search are BOTH hall of famers. With the evolution towards P2 this Iowa job will be MORE coveted compared to the 90s. Only 10-20 programs (depending how the next 5 years go) will have a clear, distinctive advantage in terms of coaching desirability.

dog-position-has-been-filled.gif

...by someone other than Levar :)

Well, as my handle says, I spent considerable time in Tampa Bay. I wanted to move to FL from Iowa to escape cold winters, but who's to say Levar feels the same? IMO Tampa is a crowded clusterf@ck of a city and I didn't really like it, but I am not a big city kind of guy, either. I moved to Tampa only because that's where I was able to find work for the relocation. When I was able to go 100% remote after the covid outbreak, I got out of there so fast.. Moved to a small sleepy coastal town in FL. Much better.

That said, an NFL opportunity could be hard for Woods to turn down if opportunity comes calling. I'm guessing he goes if offered.
Tampa does suck, should have tried St Pete, way more chill. What sleepy coastal town did you land at? Just curious.

If Woods' goal is, indeed, to be a head coach someday (and I have read that this is the case), I would have guessed his best career move would be to look for a HC job at a smaller school. I'm not sure he's got the experience to be an OC or a DC, at least not at a major program.

Either way, if the speculation on this thread is accurate, it is about the only time I can think of a Kirk assistant becoming disgruntled. Most of the assistants have always seemed fully gruntled, especially the long-term guys.
I had an impromptu 45 minute talk with one of the coaches a couple years ago, I was shocked how disgruntled he seemed as well as being as forthright as he was. I had never met the guy before so it was very surprising.

• Wow
Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Yep. There’s a bit more to the story as I’m told but that’s a good portion of it.

I mean, putting together the obvious pieces would be Woods wanted to be ast. head coach. Wallace was getting tons of attention. Kirk panics to keep him and gives him the title and massive raise.

What's still missing:
- Why Wallace over Woods and what did Wallace want to stay?
- Still seems like something is missing from Woods. He's been great for the U but there has to be something else other than Wallace getting it over him.
- What is the relationship like between KF and the rest of the coaches?
- Why is Bell possibly upset? He's been fantastic.
- What other jobs are open for Woods besides Iowa St.?

I mean, putting together the obvious pieces would be Woods wanted to be ast. head coach. Wallace was getting tons of attention. Kirk panics to keep him and gives him the title and massive raise.

What's still missing:
- Still seems like something is missing from Woods. He's been great for the U but there has to be something else other than Wallace getting it over him.
Some assistants were told the title meant nothing- trust is …

🤔🤔🤔
What’s the old adage? “Where’s there’s smoke, there’s fire” …

You might add “Wallace getting Asst. HC” added to his title as a potential source of aggravation.

I’ve heard more details but, again, I don’t feel confident enough to go beyond what you wrote and what I added.
There’s fire. Timing is an issue.if you’re a betting person, bet the 2025 season that the staff will look different

Reactions: iamahawki

What's still missing:

Based upon what was told to me, these are the questions I’d ask:
1. When did Woods first express interest in being named Asst. Head Coach?
2. What was he told when he asked for the title?
3. Traditionally, when are assistant coaches’ contracts renewed and salary increases revealed?
4. Why was Parker’s new salary and Wallace’s new salary/new title revealed this year compared to timing of previous years?
5. Did Parker advocate for Wallace to get the significant bump in pay and change in job title?

Again, no first hand knowledge, these questions are based on what I’ve heard from several sources.

Also - to clarify - I’ve heard nothing about Bell. Only Woods.

After receiving P5 offers with the same title

It’s not a meaningful title

A few things ...

At universities, some positions often are limited to having particular salary ranges. In order to negotiate out of those ranges, it requires the creation of new job-titles. I'm not certain that is the case here ... but I know that it is a common practice at universities.

Also, at universities AND at football programs, getting big pay-bumps and stuff like that is often a function of leveraging offers from other places. You can ask for a higher title ... but if you have nothing to leverage to suggest that you deserve that higher valuation ... then you're shit-outta-luck.

While Woods has mostly done a great job for us with special teams ... this past year, special teams wasn't quite as special as we've seen in the past. Toward the end of the season ... our kick coverage gave up uncharacteristic big plays. Also, players like Tory and Cooper are going to make their coaches look really smart.

Lastly, Wallace has been sought after ... and he can leverage that. The word was already on the street that Reid wanted to poach him before he even had a big title (when Reid left for BC to take their DC job after the '15 season). Since then, Wallace has coached up guys like Jewell, Campbell, and Higgins ... to name but a few. You better believe that is getting noticed. On top of that, Wallace has prior DC experience ... and is Phil's right-hand man. I'm not surprised at all that Wallace got that promotion.

i like woods but end of the day he is the ST coach. ST is critical and it's worth paying very well to have a competent person in charge of it but i can't imagine any team would elevate a ST guy to HC unless he is a critical cog on O or D. So i think iowa's doing the right thing. Bell is another guy I really really want to keep at Iowa, hope KF and Parker keep him happy.

i like woods but end of the day he is the ST coach. ST is critical and it's worth paying very well to have a competent person in charge of it but i can't imagine any team would elevate a ST guy to HC unless he is a critical cog on O or D. So i think iowa's doing the right thing. Bell is another guy I really really want to keep at Iowa, hope KF and Parker keep him happy.
He did coach Kirksey, Hitchens, Morris, kittle, Fant. Peeps forget he was doing Seth’s LB job before Seth . LW is the reason Eppy selected Iowa- yes, the reason

Last edited:
Assistant Head Coach

Associate Head Coach

Assistant to the Assistant Head Coach
Funny how people chase title changes without really any added duties. To me it was just a way to pay Seth more because they didn't want him to leave and AD obviously went along with title change to justify pay increase. When asked if duties would be added, the answer was no.

Just come up with some other title for Levar and bump his pay too. Can we NIL him?

Reactions: cm8124 and SI_NYC
He did coach Kirksey, Hitchens, Morris, kittle, Fant. Perps forget he was doing Seth LB job before Seth . LW is the reason Eppy selected Iowa- yes, the reason
This. People forget Woods has experience in all 3 phases now including high-end players in all 3 phases. He’s an Iowa guy, more than KF himself as he’s from Iowa, played at Iowa and now coaches at Iowa. It’ll hurt to lose him, but yes he’s replaceable as is everyone including KF himself.

A guy still on staff?
He seemed frustrated with the approach to the offensive philosophy and how they were restricted in recruiting offensive players. He particularly mentioned a QB who Kirk wouldn't give the go ahead to offer. that same QB is now in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
He did coach Kirksey, Hitchens, Morris, kittle, Fant. Perps forget he was doing Seth LB job before Seth . LW is the reason Eppy selected Iowa- yes, the reason
I was thinking about this as well. He was coaching at Iowa before Wallace. Previously coached Wallace’s current position and has been one of the best ST coordinators in the country, yet because Wallace continually looks for and applies for other jobs, gets promoted with a bigger paycheck. It’s not a good look to have most of the white coaches making more than the black coaches.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this as well. He was coaching at Iowa before Wallace. Previously coached Wallace’s current position and has been one of the best ST coordinators in the country, yet because Wallace continually looks for and applies for other jobs, gets promoted with a bigger paycheck. It’s not a good look to have most of the white coaches making more than the black coaches.

Worth bringing up a racial component, IMO, especially with..ya know. I'm sure the coaches are thinking it. Woods and Bell are just as important to the cog as Wallace. Copeland was also a scapegoat.

$700k as a ST coach at Iowa or say, a mil in the pros. (just spitballing). First the value of the dollar from IC to TB gets wiped away with cost of living. Probably pretty secure at Iowa for the next 3 years. ST coach in the NFL....you had better be good. Not saying he would not....just a bit more of a risk. Maybe he goes and comes back to Iowa later.....maybe he is not even offered. A bunch up in the air for sure.
Uh, no, $300k is not wiped due to cost of living lol. Plus no state income tax here.

Worth bringing up a racial component, IMO, especially with..ya know. I'm sure the coaches are thinking it. Woods and Bell are just as important to the cog as Wallace. Copeland was also a scapegoat.
I don't want to go there, to be honest, but the Wallace promotion brought it to my attention.

Reactions: kkhawk
Funny how people chase title changes without really any added duties. To me it was just a way to pay Seth more because they didn't want him to leave and AD obviously went along with title change to justify pay increase. When asked if duties would be added, the answer was no.

Just come up with some other title for Levar and bump his pay too. Can we NIL him?
Sabin and Neon do Aflac so find him some sponsors.

Reactions: pistachio1999
K, but how do each position compare to what is paid for those positions across the country? Seth had offers that were promotions. And obviously Iowa didn’t want him to leave. We have a DC already. So what was the only thing you can do? Add the title and boost the pay. If Levar leaves he probably is not going to be a DC or OC at current level in college. He could go somewhere else to be ST coordinator like he is at Iowa, but would he make any more money than he does now?

Woods may have been coaching at Iowa longer than Wallace, but know that Wallace has significantly more coaching experience. The only coaching experience Woods has is with Iowa and he started in 2008 as a glorified secretary and didnt start coaching LB'ers until 2012. Wallace on the other hand started coaching right after his playing career in 2001, GA'd at Iowa from 06-08, left for 6 years as a positional coach and DC at a smaller school, then came back to Iowa in 2014. Comparing resumes it is not even close as to who is more experienced.

Also, I would imagine that KF didn't do any of this with SW without the approval/suggestion of PP. Like Ghost said too, take away the amazing Cooper Dejean and the great kickers that Iowa has had both with place-kicking and punting, the special teams have really not been all that special. It is the special teams that really cost us the small chance we had to pull off the typical underdog win in the B1G and against PSU.

Saying that I hope they can work it all out because I think everyone loses if LW decides to leave.

Woods spent most of his time coaching OLB ... the primary coach of the LBs was Reid. The year before Reid came on board, Woods had full control of the LBs (2012) ... and the LB play that year was not good. Woods took over LB from Wilson, since Wilson shifted over to being the DB coach when Phil took over as DC.

Reid took over full reign of LBs in 2015 ... and that year Woods got moved over to coaching TEs.

There's no doubt that Woods is a mighty fine coach. He got rewarded as such when Kirk gave him the ST coordinator gig.

It's odd that you'd point out that Woods had the LB job before Seth ... he had it for one year ... and didn't do a great job either. In contrast, Seth has controlled the room for 8 years, the LB room has been a strength of the team, the development of players in the room has been impressive, and and he is considered a rising star in the coaching profession.

Looking at resumes ... LeVar started off as an administrative assistant from 2008-11 ... and didn't start coaching until 2012. Wallace has been coaching since 2001. Wallace has experience at Iowa working with all facets of the D (working with DL, DBs, and LBs). He's was mentored by Norm early in his career ... and Norm was a genius at making complex concepts simple for his guys. On top of everything, he has prior coordinator experience when he was at Valdosta State.

I respect the hell out of LeVar ... but from my vantage, Seth has the better resume. Anyhow, I doubt that this was an issue of Wallace getting a promotion OVER LeVar. My impression is that the promotion arose as a function of retention. LeVar may have wanted one too ... however, there likely wasn't the same retention concerns.

Anyhow, Kirk respects the hell out of LeVar ... and has rewarded him accordingly. Does LeVar want more ... or believe he deserves more? Maybe. However, it's not like he's experienced any ill treatment.

Woods may have been coaching at Iowa longer than Wallace, but know that Wallace has significantly more coaching experience. The only coaching experience Woods has is with Iowa and he started in 2008 as a glorified secretary and didnt start coaching LB'ers until 2012. Wallace on the other hand started coaching right after his playing career in 2001, GA'd at Iowa from 06-08, left for 6 years as a positional coach and DC at a smaller school, then came back to Iowa in 2014. Comparing resumes it is not even close as to who is more experienced.

Also, I would imagine that KF didn't do any of this with SW without the approval/suggestion of PP. Like Ghost said too, take away the amazing Cooper Dejean and the great kickers that Iowa has had both with place-kicking and punting, the special teams have really not been all that special. It is the special teams that really cost us the small chance we had to pull off the typical underdog win in the B1G and against PSU.

Saying that I hope they can work it all out because I think everyone loses if LW decides to leave.
With all due respect, you are cherry picking. ST have been excellent ever since LW took over….and also in the early KF era. Jones, ISM, kickers, net yardage.

If it’s the players that make the coach in LW’s case (your citing Tory and coop), why why doe SW get the credit Higgins, Campbell, jewel. They all won the genetic lottery.

This more than resume. That title was there for LW at other P5s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT