ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to next year for the men's team

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I think it is time for ole Sherm to retire. He is my age and I have been retired for 7 years. I don't see him bringing much to the dance anymore. Fran really needs to find a good defensive asst. coach.

I think Mulvey should transfer and the nepotism needs to end, I do not want Patrick returning. It would be great if Tony returns but he really should be a wing player.

Excited to see what Koch and Tadjo will bring next year. We need inside help, Tadjo looks athletic and physical. Koch's length and shooting ability will be a plus.

Fran needs to hit the portal for a point guard. I thought Bowen would be the answer but he's not. I like Hardings game but he's not going to succeed if he can't consistently shoot from the perimeter. An athletic wing could also help.

Until this team can make defensive stops they won't be in the top tier of the league.

Right now, attendance is declining and apathy has set in.

Last edited:
I really like Freeman, Demble and Tadjo on the inside, could be a really good trio. I think Koch and the young Sandfort are very good perimeter shooters. Harding will get better but isn't the creator in the lane we need. An athletic wing is really needed.

I really like Freeman, Demble and Tadjo on the inside, could be a really good trio. I think Koch and the young Sandfort are very good perimeter shooters. Harding will get better but isn't the creator in the lane we need. An athletic wing is really needed.
Harding has shown he can create in the lane. As was stated in another thread Fran's offense is mostly side to side ball movement not penetration by the guards. Give him more minutes the rest of the year and let him figure it out. I think you'll see a different player next year.

Without Perkins the perimeter defense will be non-existent which means next year's team will give up a ton of points. If memory serves me right, Perkins and PMac already said they weren't going to use their Covid year so has something changed?

Without Perkins the perimeter defense will be non-existent which means next year's team will give up a ton of points. If memory serves me right, Perkins and PMac already said they weren't going to use their Covid year so has something changed?
JBo and Connor said that also. I'll believe it when it happens. Fran's backcourt recruiting makes me think he expects Perkins back. Patrick can go away. Even if Perkins is back they need to bring in another guard.

There's no "defensive coach" that's changing anything.

There's a million people that could teach defense if it was wanted by the head coach.

It's not something he believes in.

Fran pulls guys for offensive mistakes the way every other coach will pull you for defensive mistakes.

That's what he believes in.

I heard that gor PMac, nothing definitive for Perkins. He'd be worth a nice NIL package.

Harding has shown he can create in the lane. As was stated in another thread Fran's offense is mostly side to side ball movement not penetration by the guards. Give him more minutes the rest of the year and let him figure it out. I think you'll see a different player next year.
He can get in the lane, which is great. Just needs to be decisive and not get trapped. His best value this year has been pick n roll with Freeman. I think his role will be off the bench as a change of pace player.

Freeman needs to develop a three point shot. MD left him alone outside and their big just camped in the lane on D. If he wants a shot at next level, he will need to be able to score at three levels.

He can get in the lane, which is great. Just needs to be decisive and not get trapped. His best value this year has been pick n roll with Freeman. I think his role will be off the bench as a change of pace player.

Freeman needs to develop a three point shot. MD left him alone outside and their big just camped in the lane on D. If he wants a shot at next level, he will need to be able to score at three levels.
I really doubt that Freeman ever develops a 3 point shot. He’s not a particularly good free throw shooter. But the way he uses his feet and hand around the basket he doesn’t need to.

Watching Harding and Freeman play together is a joy. Like watching Stockton and Malone. Worth 2-4 layups a game.

Reactions: NI hawk
I really doubt that Freeman ever develops a 3 point shot. He’s not a particularly good free throw shooter. But the way he uses his feet and hand around the basket he doesn’t need to.

Watching Harding and Freeman play together is a joy. Like watching Stockton and Malone. Worth 2-4 layups a game.
Not disagreeing with you & Freeman's going to have a great college career. But if wants to get to the NBA, he'll need that 3 point shot. Doesn't need to be at Luka's level as he has better quickness & lateral movement to be a better defender, but he needs to have that threat.

Guys that aren't going to play pro will usually end up using that covid year.

Connor and Jbo both said they weren't going to use it too.

Then once summer hits they end up missing it I'm sure, I know I would.

Patrick maybe not but I almost guarantee Perk will play somewhere next year, only question is where.

Not disagreeing with you & Freeman's going to have a great college career. But if wants to get to the NBA, he'll need that 3 point shot. Doesn't need to be at Luka's level as he has better quickness & lateral movement to be a better defender, but he needs to have that threat.
I think his defense will get him a spot in the NBA, but adding a 3 point shot would guarantee it.

i just looked up Brock’s assist to turnover average and ratio: 2.6/.8, that’s pretty damn good. He needs more minutes.

Maybe. It would obviously increase his odds tremendously.

He's 6'10 and decently athletic. Let's see what a couple years in the weight room does.

Guys like Mason Plumblee and Cody Zeller off the top of my head are pretty comparable to Owen's skill set.

Maybe. It would obviously increase his odds tremendously.

He's 6'10 and decently athletic. Let's see what a couple years in the weight room does.

Guys like Mason Plumblee and Cody Zeller off the top of my head are pretty comparable to Owen's skill set.
And yet Luka cannot get consistent play in the NBA. That's mind boggling.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Yeah, but aren’t the brothers Sandfort liabilities on defense? That seems to be our Achilles heal each year - teams with athletic players and great handles blow by players like Brady Ellingston, Jo-Bo, Sandforts, McCaffery’s….Normally you can get by in BT play with starters like this, but it is a whole another ball game when you play past the first weekend in the Big Dance. Watching Oregon throttle us a few years back was like watching men vs boys….🥲

Reactions: amahawk

Harding needs to re-find his outside shot. You can't be that little and not be able to make open 3's. I agree he runs the team very well and he competes hard on defense which makes up somewhat for being tiny.

We should be better at rebounding next year with Krikke gone and Dimbelle replacing him. Dimbelle looks like a solid player. Dix, Dimbele, Sandforts, Freeman, Harding...solid core but not good enough guards.

Yeah, but aren’t the brothers Sandfort liabilities on defense? That seems to be our Achilles heal each year - teams with athletic players and great handles blow by players like Brady Ellingston, Jo-Bo, Sandforts, McCaffery’s….Normally you can get by in BT play with starters like this, but it is a whole another ball game when you play past the first weekend in the Big Dance. Watching Oregon throttle us a few years back was like watching men vs boys….🥲

Pryce looks like a better defender than Payton. FRan's teams never resemble real sweet16 contenders.

The Oregon throttling, the loss to Richmond, the woodshed beatdowns from Vilanova and Gonzaga, losing twice to U. Tennesee--- we are never going to make a run in NCAA play the way Fran constructs a roster and doesn't focus on defense.

And yet Luka cannot get consistent play in the NBA. That's mind boggling.
Luka just isn't explosive enough for the nba. He's a minus in that area. That isn't Freemans issue. I don't recall Garza blocking many shots. Freeman can move quickly and is explosive enough to block shots. That will help in the nba. If he can develop a mid range and at least get to a respectable level with the 3 ball he will probably get more minutes than Garza does.

Pryce looks like a better defender than Payton. FRan's teams never resemble real sweet16 contenders.

The Oregon throttling, the loss to Richmond, the woodshed beatdowns from Vilanova and Gonzaga, losing twice to U. Tennesee--- we are never going to make a run in NCAA play the way Fran constructs a roster and doesn't focus on defense.
I agree. I like that pryce is getting a little bit more time. He holds his own defensively and doesn't do anything stupid. I think next year he'll get stronger and more confident and be more of a weapon behind the 3 point line as well

This Covid crap has inhibited growth of younger players. To me there’s nothing about Perkins game that can’t be made up in the aggregate. He he eating pg minutes he should not be getting.
Now, if you told me there was a new coach coming, I’d listen.

This Covid crap has inhibited growth of younger players. To me there’s nothing about Perkins game that can’t be made up in the aggregate. He he eating pg minutes he should not be getting.
Now, if you told me there was a new coach coming, I’d listen.

Harding did a great job in the 1st half taking over when Perk was struggling. To Tony's credit, he came back and had a solid 2nd half.

Bottom line ... Fran wants the ball in Tony's hands ... especially at the end of the game. He doesn't have PG instincts but there are multiple ways to play the position.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Harding did a great job in the 1st half taking over when Perk was struggling. To Tony's credit, he came back and had a solid 2nd half.

Bottom line ... Fran wants the ball in Tony's hands ... especially at the end of the game. He doesn't have PG instincts but there are multiple ways to play the position.
While there may be multiple ways to play pg. none of the ones fran employs leads to ncaa success.
Frans no penetration offense and no foul defense are a bit like moneyball. They’ll get you wins in the regular season at an acceptable clip but kill you in a one and done scenario in tournaments.
Big ten tournament success is not the same as ncaa. Playing every day against teams you play all the time is very different from scouting and adapting to new competition.

While there may be multiple ways to play pg. none of the ones fran employs leads to ncaa success.
Frans no penetration offense and no foul defense are a bit like moneyball. They’ll get you wins in the regular season at an acceptable clip but kill you in a one and done scenario in tournaments.
Big ten tournament success is not the same as ncaa. Playing every day against teams you play all the time is very different from scouting and adapting to new competition.

Can't argue the NCAA success (not much lately). And the no foul defense is maddening. The Hawks did play better defense late in 1st half and much of the 2nd half.

Fran doesn't like to recruit or play PGs like other teams. It's just the way it is. Iowa's offense is not really set up to run like a lot of other teams. Even the high pick and roll doesn't look like what other teams do. Can't argue the results (as far as scoring average), but it can get bogged down late in games when they need a hoop.

A win is a win. Hopefully, this will give the team confidence going in to the late stretch of games here.

I think it is time for ole Sherm to retire. He is my age and I have been retired for 7 years. I don't see him bringing much to the dance anymore. Fran really needs to find a good defensive asst. coach.

I think Mulvey should transfer and the nepotism needs to end, I do not want Patrick returning. It would be great if Tony returns but he really should be a wing player.

Excited to see what Koch and Tadjo will bring next year. We need inside help, Tadjo looks athletic and physical. Koch's length and shooting ability will be a plus.

Fran needs to hit the portal for a point guard. I thought Bowen would be the answer but he's not. I like Hardings game but he's not going to succeed if he can't consistently shoot from the perimeter. An athletic wing could also help.

Until this team can make defensive stops they won't be in the top tier of the league.

Very good post and you are 100% spot on with everything.

I would like to see what Fran can get through the portal with a little NIL money. The biggest issue I have with Fran is obviously the poor defense. I don’t care how the roster shakes out, Iowa will go nowhere without vastly improved defense.

Reactions: hawkosx

Ahhh. You may be right about the three-point shot, but he's an 80% FT shooter this year and over 77% for his career.

Don’t think it works well if you want Harding in the game, if he plays then Dix or Perk has to sit unless you have 2 good bigs in the game, Hawks only have Freeman
If you watch a lot of other teams, they play a lot of 3 guard lineups. I don't understand why Fran doesn't utilize these types of lineups more. Dix is big enough to guard most wings--he was on Storr a good chunk of today's games and I thought he was fine for most of the game on him.

I can't see him leaving Iowa, Iowa has invested 3 and a half years in Riley and at 7 foot he is the tallest player on the roster. I can see him starting along with Owen and Payton on the front line along with Dix and Tony if he comes back or Brock if he doesn't.
We'll see by June if Riley sticks around, I know I'm in the minority on this subject but I just think that makes Iowa so much more dynamic and a heck of a better rebounding team.

Ahhh. You may be right about the three-point shot, but he's an 80% FT shooter this year and over 77% for his career.
Freeman is only hitting 66.7% from the line in his first year at Iowa. I think that you’re looking at someone else’s stats.

If you watch a lot of other teams, they play a lot of 3 guard lineups. I don't understand why Fran doesn't utilize these types of lineups more. Dix is big enough to guard most wings--he was on Storr a good chunk of today's games and I thought he was fine for most of the game on him.
Agree. Perkins also is capable of guarding most wings with his athleticism and long arms.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT