ADVERTISEMENT

Max Thomsen

taketop

Team MVP
Apr 12, 2013
Now that the recruiting dust has settled I was curious if anyone new how and why Max Thomsen is not Hawk? Max's brothers a Hawk and I always see his father in Hawk gear? After following Thomsen the last few years I've seen a tremendous growth. Kemerer is top knotch and watching him beat Max at the Dapper Dan, Stroker at AGON (controversial) and Thomsen beat Kemerer last night I feel these three kids are as evenly matched as it comes and it would not suprise me if they went 5-5 if they wrestled each other ten times. IMO I think Thomsen and Stroker have a huge up sides as they haven't had quite the coaching, partnes, schedule and resources Kemerer has has had coming from PA and his stacked high school team and the Young Guns room and coaching. It should be fun and interesting to watch these three over the next 4-5 years. They all seem like fine young men and I wish them all the best at the next level. Just curious about Thomsen not joining his brother in the black and gold?

My boy just told me he followed his girlfriend to UNI. They then broke up soon after. My son is coached by the UNI wrestlers so he's kind of an insider, but he's twelve. Take that with a big for what it's worth.

Good question, taketop. Thomsen signed pretty early with UNI (July 7), long before we signed Kemerer (Oct 8) or Turk (Oct 28). My assumption is that he was somewhere on our wish list for that weight range along with Kemerer, Joseph, and Duggan (and maybe Stroker but not sure there was ever much mutual interest). But UNI wanted him more and offered him more money, and since others were still in play we let him go.

That's all conjecture based on past message board fodder and signing dates, so take it with a grain of salt.

Iowa doesn't produce as many superstars as it used to, so it's a shame when we don't get the top in-state prospects. I have high hopes for Kemerer, but it does beg the question, did we let a diamond slip through our fingers?

I'm sure Thomsen has found some guys too work out with the Cedar Falls area and Stroker has been coached up and exposed to various training partners as much or more than anyone.

I've heard many stories over the course of the year (many that i don't bear repeating)...and the most consistent one I have heard over the course of the year is that Max simply preferred UNI over Iowa, I don't know if that warrants an indictment on the coaching staff for Iowa, or over praise for the staff at UNI, but I guess (as hard as it is for Iowa fans to accept) Iowa just isn't always going to be the first choice for some young men....

I wish Max all the best, and will continue to cheer for anyone from our glorious state....just as I will from Kemerer...

I was told by one of my friends (and former neighbor who is close to the Union program) that the main reasons for Max choosing UNI was his great relationship with Schwab and he was turned off by Brands rep of burning guys out. I grew up with and was teammates with Max's dad at La Porte City HS (the family now lives in the house I grew up in). I Hope that Max brings UNI their next National Champ.

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Iowa low balled him with their offer. Tom and Terry seem to not like to part with competitive money for Iowa kids. A strategy that will eventually backfire for them. I think they assume they'll get the kids that grew up rooting for the Hawks on the cheap. And I heard something very surprising about a certain kid from Lisbon who many have assumed will end up at Iowa. Let's just say that he shares something in common with Thomsen and a few new suitors have joined the picture, one of them being in state not named UNI.

Well I'm sorry but if an instate recruit can't see the difference in tuition for an in state vs out of state then I'm sure it can be hard to accept that an in state wrestler doesn't need as much of the cost covered as an out of state. In state is something like 8,000 a year compared to mid 20,000s for out of state. Iowa is an awesome deal for collegiate education for the people that are in state. I can understand why a wrestler could feel slighted but at the same time I'm sure a lot of money gets tied up in out of state wrestlers.

Ibahkwfan, according to my buddy money was not an issue. It was all about his relationship with Schwab and the burnout stigma associated with Brands and Iowa program.

I would be concerned about burnout at UNI too. Doug did learn the Iowa way and they haven't made the steady progress most thought they would.

I wouldn't be surprised if money came into play on any of these quality kids. Full in-state cost at UNI/IOWA/ISU with room&board is estimated around $19K annually....about 1/2 of that is tuition cost. That is real money folks. If UNI or ISU gives you a half or a full....it may change your mind about Iowa.

I agree with you roughneck. I think that at any DI (even DII and DIII levels) school burnout would be a factor especially in light of the sport specificity demanded by many coaches today and year round training beginning at young ages. AWN has had a few articles recently pertaining to burnout and the effects of year round training (for any one sport) versus being a multi sport athlete.

Wamachie, that figure of 19k is cheaper than just out of state tuition. You are right that is a lot of money, I'm currently attending the U and I know what the bills are like but wrestling just really isn't a sport where an athlete should expect to not have to pay anything. Perhaps we need to start campaigning for a better allotment when it comes to scholarships. I could definitely get behind that cause. 9.9 is a travesty.

Here is the deal. The kids get the difference between out of state and in state cost. They are not looking at % given but at out of pocket. Obviously an out of state guy is going to need a higher % to get the same out of pocket as an equal in state guy. That said if the other in state schools cough up more % than we do for the same in state kid then you have a choice between out of pocket cost vs which program you like. Thomsen obviously had a close relationship with Schwab and UNI given how close he was to them and I would guess he spent a lot of time there. If Schwab gave him a full ride so be it, I don't know what we offered but no way would I be looking at giving a full ride for #20 overall. While i agree there seems to be some smoke with the burnout thing i also agree that UNI and a lot of other schools have not proven they are any different on that front. In the end who knows.

To me you should use 7-8 scholarships for your top 15-20 guys and use the last 1.9 to 2.9 for the rest.

Originally posted by MVPFAN:
Here is the deal. The kids get the difference between out of state and in state cost. They are not looking at % given but at out of pocket. Obviously an out of state guy is going to need a higher % to get the same out of pocket as an equal in state guy. That said if the other in state schools cough up more % than we do for the same in state kid then you have a choice between out of pocket cost vs which program you like. Thomsen obviously had a close relationship with Schwab and UNI given how close he was to them and I would guess he spent a lot of time there. If Schwab gave him a full ride so be it, I don't know what we offered but no way would I be looking at giving a full ride for #20 overall. While i agree there seems to be some smoke with the burnout thing i also agree that UNI and a lot of other schools have not proven they are any different on that front. In the end who knows.

To me you should use 7-8 scholarships for your top 15-20 guys and use the last 1.9 to 2.9 for the rest.
Seems like a reasonable approach....UNI and ISU certainly don't have it all figured out. PSU and OhSt, on the other hand, look like they have a good grasp on attracting recruits and keeping them happy. Tough to do.

I believe he just liked Doug more and didnt really care where his brother was already at.

The burnout thing is real and I have heard this from other recruits as well as a past Iowa national champion whom I wont name.

IMO we dont need both Brands brothers on the coaching staff. One is enough maniac for the whole room.

This. Don't get me wrong, Young Guns is the best club in the country and Kem has had some of the best practice partners in the country. However, I see that Stroker and Thomsen frequently workout together and Dayton Racer joins them. Many of these Iowa teams have young college grads in the room and many of them do private lessons. They both have had some top notch coaching.

I am not saying this is the main reason but I am 99% certain Max got a full ride. He may have had a good relationship with the coaching staff and the money was just icing on the cake.

Ihawkd9times, you are right from what my source close to Max told me. I wish the best for Max at UNI. Since he did not choose the Hawkeyes I am happy he chose UNI over ISU or someone else.

I'd take what I wrote as the truth, because we spend four nights a week in the UNI wrestling room and couldn't be any closer to the program.

Originally posted by SansSouci:
I'd take what I wrote as the truth, because we spend four nights a week in the UNI wrestling room and couldn't be any closer to the program.
I'm in the wrestling room everyday. You'll have to point yourself out to me.

Originally posted by Hicksy87:

Ihawkd9times, you are right from what my source close to Max told me. I wish the best for Max at UNI. Since he did not choose the Hawkeyes I am happy he chose UNI over ISU or someone else.
I agree, I have no issue with UNI. Hope Max does well, just below our guy. I am ok with him being in Cedar Falls. I like Kemerer more. I would have rather had Holchslag in the Iowa room. I like him and at this point I worry about 174 after Meyer more than I do 149. Just not sure Marinelli isnt a 165 and unsure on Padduck as a 174. Of course Mark Hall would be nice.

Having Kemmerer 157/Marinelli165/ Hall 174 sure would be a nice little part of the lineup.

I agree I would have like to see Holschlaug in a Hawk uniform as well. Both Holschag's and Max's dad's were HS teammates with me. Graduated with Max's dad and uncle, Holschlaug's dad was a couple years behind me but a great guy and hard worker.

Originally posted by lovewrestling:

Will you be the guy wearing the I Love Wrestling T-shirt?

Originally posted by CP84 2.0:
Originally posted by lovewrestling:

Will you be the guy wearing the I Love Wrestling T-shirt?
I'll be the guy wearing, Property of Northern Iowa Panthers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT