ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Postgame Seton Hall notes ...

DanHawkPella

HR Legend
Jul 24, 2001
I didn't rewatch the game so I didn't get as many scheme related notes but here goes:

OVERALL:
  • Cold start for Iowa, but after the first few possessions we were getting good looks. They weren't going in, but Iowa is such a good shooting team that as long as we are getting good looks you can count on us eventually getting to our average points per possession numbers, especially if we are keeping turnovers down which we did for most of the game ( *cough* inbounds pass fakes please!).
  • Defense was ready to go from minute one - very impressive all game long with only a few exceptions. Rebounding seems to simply be a question of not "leaking out" too early on the break and focusing on your rebounding responsibilities until we secure the ball. Do that and we are solid, especially since we don't need to make an outlet pass since almost everyone can bring the ball up the court.
  • Still think we are among the most dangerous fast break teams in the country. Not because we have rim running dunkers but because we have 5 guys who can bring the ball up the court immediately, or kick to a sideline runner and we IMMEDIATLY put pressure on a defense and force them to recognize the ball. Then we have guys like Murray, Perkins and Patrick who can finish on the break and can force help to rotate to them. THEN we have all kinds of shooters sprinting to the corners and wings for kick 3's, AND we have posts like Rebraca and Kris looking for immediate posts ups on the block before the defense is in a position to double yet (like we did with Garza). This is a nightmare for other teams, but it all starts with good defense and securing the rebound. Teams that are not efficient offensively will struggle to beat us because that means a lot of defensive rebounds and fast break chances where the other teams strong half court defense may not come into play.
  • Last year's team started the year maybe at a 5/10 level and needed to shore up their defense to get to an 8/10 caliber team by the B10 tournament. This year's team is much closer to their ceiling right out of the gate and looks to be playing at a 7/10 level already, with a great chance to get to an 8/10 and maybe 9/10 given how many good players they have to work with on every given night. They look really dangerous to me, just may come down to matchups come tournament time.
  • Great FT shooting, made them game more comfortable than it might have been otherwise.

PLAYER NOTES:
  • Perkins is a DAWG, which I think Iowa has not had many of in the past. Just a tough as nails, physical player who can impose his will on the other team AND is not shy about letting them know about it. He will get into other guys heads this year. He is so good getting down hill but then being under control when it is time to shoot or pass. Uses a jump stop, jumping off two feet, pump fakes and pivots to ensure he is getting what he wants and what the defense is giving him without forcing bad shots or bad passes. Knows how to get to the FT line. One note though - in the 2nd half a defender baited him into a long 3 because the defender sagged off him 1-2 feet and denied him penetration a few times, and I think Perkins felt disrespected so he shot the 3. Was hoping he wouldn't fall for that and just move the ball. Teams will start giving him space off the dribble moving forward because he's too effective if you let him get downhill on you.
  • Rebraca is our interior DAWG and totally impressed with his physicality, decision making and it even appears some added athleticism as he is covering space to block shots now too. Thought his main upside was to improve his 3 point shooting but it appears he had room to grow physically and athleticially and is now playing with so much confidence. Playing like a senior. Love his game - exactly what we needed on this roster where we lack a true 5 who can play a lot of minutes.
  • Patrick and Sandfort struggled a bit with their decision making with the ball in their hand. I'm a HUGE Sandfort fan and he will be a big time player this year, just not his game last night. Needs to let it come to him a bit rather than force it (same with Patrick) but understand them feeling it out in the first big game. People should not be worried about Sandfort - he's big time imo, but Iowa has so many options this season that it won't always be your night so just play within the flow is all.
  • There were comments about Ulis playing well in practice and it didn't show up in the early games but we saw last night why those comments were made. Did some very nice things and gives us 2 or 3 guards who can really push the ball and put pressure on the defense. His decision making appears to be improved, which was the key. Very nice game for him, and he's a great rebounding guard actually. Teams will sag off of him too so that will be the challenge for him and Perkins - as soon as they touch the ball defenders will sag a step and also go under any screens to avoid dribble penetration. Should they shoot the 3 off the dribble in those situations or just move the ball and wait to penetrate when catching a pass on the move later in the possession? That's the questions they will have to face.
  • Kris and Keegan are different players, but they are similar in how they can put up 29 and 11 without a lot of fanfare. Just easy mode for them. Thought he made great choices 99% of the time. Really liked what I saw in the post as that was a big question mark for me. Still wants to finish with his left hand but did a great job setting it up by being physical and threatening a right hand move and has a very tight spin to his left hand so the defender can't recover easily. Very soft when finishing off the glass even with body contact which is very hard. Had a rebound left hand hook in the lane if IIRC as well. His 3 point shot even at deeper range and coming off our set piece plays looks a lot like Keegan was doing late last year. So easy. Good job rebounding which was another question. Looks like he can be a 20 ppg guy for sure even though I think we have more scorers this year.
  • Connor provided a lot of stability, didn't force shots and when he got shots he made them. Played physical defense and took some chest blows getting in front of guys who were trying to get to the rim on him. Values every possession. Love what he brings. With him and Perkins and Rebraca and a few others we aren't taking sh*t from other teams that's for sure.
Pretty optimistic about this team.

Seton Hall made some runs but we didn't give them a lot of great looks (hit a few deep 3's) and it just felt like we answered every punch they gave us because as a veteran group we just always had good possessions when we needed them. We didn't shoot well but went on the road against a physical, defensive minded team and just handled our business. Great road test.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News