ADVERTISEMENT

Mich OC and coaches schemed those big, long early runs

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
They were using the Jumbo package early and throughout the game. But early after they shifted the jumbo from one side to the other they werent running where the jumbo was but cutting it back to the weak side. Wash was overplaying to the Jumbo side and got gashed early. Great job as to what a scheme can do, give the coaches credit. Wash adjusted though and it took Mich about 20 game minutes to realize they needed to pass a little more and get some runs from JJMac.

I hope the new hawk OC can scheme like this. I thought Wash passing game and routes were really good. Penix was a bit off but he was also under duress and getting hit a lot.

They were using the Jumbo package early and throughout the game. But early after they shifted the jumbo from one side to the other they werent running where the jumbo was but cutting it back to the weak side. Wash was overplaying to the Jumbo side and got gashed early. Great job as to what a scheme can do, give the coaches credit. Wash adjusted though and it took Mich about 20 game minutes to realize they needed to pass a little more and get some runs from JJMac.

I hope the new hawk OC can scheme like this. I thought Wash passing game and routes were really good. Penix was a bit off but he was also under duress and getting hit a lot.
Surely there are rules against offensive coaches pulling stunts like this? College football would become a chaotic mess if offenses were allowed to just willy nilly do things designed to fool their opponents defense.

Watching live, I thought the 3-tech played into the A-gap, letting the G bury him inside and leaving the cutback open. Or if he was supposed to play into the A-gap, the safety on the backside needs to fill the cutback lane.

Washington saw no defenses like this all year, including Texas. Michigan had more yards against Washington in the first Quarter than they had the entire game against Iowa.

I say...really not very sporting of you chaps running trickeration and all that business.

I didn't see any great play call on the first score. That first long run play was all Edwards improvising. There was absolutely no hole where the play was supposed to go. The defense played it perfectly and Edwards ran into the back of his olinemen who were stood up at the point of attack. Edwards then took it around the left side and nobody saw him until it was too late. Just a great play by an excellent running back.

I didn't see any great play call on the first score. That first long run play was all Edwards improvising. There was absolutely no hole where the play was supposed to go. The defense played it perfectly and Edwards ran into the back of his olinemen who were stood up at the point of attack. Edwards then took it around the left side and nobody saw him until it was too late. Just a great play by an excellent running back.
This is true and I am not sure if that was a jumbo blocking package. Still Wash lost the edge on that play. A defense like Iowa mostly in zone and much better gap and edge coverage probably tackle Edwards for a short gain.

This is true and I am not sure if that was a jumbo blocking package. Still Wash lost the edge on that play. A defense like Iowa mostly in zone and much better gap and edge coverage probably tackle Edwards for a short gain.
Yeah, but it's hard to blame the DE when the play wasn't designed to go outside and Edwards disappeared behind all of those big bodies between the tackles at the LOS. The play looked to be over before he popped out and ran it outside.

The DT's did their jobs, but that's about it. DE was easily kicked out by the TE. T erased the OLB. C quickly reached the MLB. S ran himself out of the play.

Maybe the MLB and S handle it better if the call was off-tackle, but the DE getting manhandled by a TE was embarrassing.

Last edited:
But what's the upside?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Washington saw no defenses like this all year, including Texas. Michigan had more yards against Washington in the first Quarter than they had the entire game against Iowa.
Tennessee had almost more pts vs Iowa than they had vs Georgia, Alabama and Mizzu combined .. with a frosh qb, playing for the 1st time

My guess is Michigan's players were a little more focused last night than they were going into Iowa. They knew 100 peecent they would beat Iowa

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy5960
What’s crazy is that’s what Iowa should be doing and it isn’t hard.
We do it in high school junior high all the time.
Unbalance and go heavy. It’s hard on defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT