ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Re-watch

whatsup13579er

HR Legend
Oct 13, 2015
I think after re-watching the game today, I am more encouraged than I was walking out of Kinnick Saturday.

Michigan was the better team. Their OL is what I think Iowa's OL can turn into. That's the biggest factor right now is that these guys just don't have the experience nor the time in the program. Michigan's OL across the board was big and talented and experienced. These guys really moved Iowa's DL in the first half.

Trente Jones 6'5" 310 Senior 4 Star 5.9 RR
Trevor Keegan 6'6" 305 Senior 4 Star 5.8 RR
Olusegun Oluwatimi 6'3" 305 6th Year Senior Transfer All-American
Zach Zinter 6'6" 315 Junior 4 Star 5.8 RR
Ryan Hayes 6'7" 305 RS Senior 3 Star 5.6 RR

You know what you don't see here? Sophomores. Only 1 Junior. Michigan has the recipe. Iowa's OL is getting better each week. They will get there in time.

I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well Saturday. They just couldn't catch a break. It seemed that every time Iowa would have a positive play on offense, there was a huge penalty called against them. A few of them were complete BS. I thought the officiating was actually worse after I watched the replay than what I thought it was watching in person on Saturday. They injected themselves into the game and absolutely had an impact on the outcome of the game. It seemed like 2 or 3 drives were stopped due to uncharacteristic, or completely fabricated, penalties. Especially the 'clipping' penalty after the 'holding' penalty in the second quarter. That drive Iowa had some real momentum and felt like they were going to get points. For all of the warts this team has, Iowa still had the ball inside Michigan's 5 with a chance to cut the lead down to 1 score midway through the 4th quarter. I think everyone on this board would have taken that situation prior to Saturday.

Spencer missed on 3 or so throws that he would like to have back but McCarthy missed on about that many too. All of your P5 QBs are going to miss some throws during the course of the game. Spencer also threw some darts that were very impressive. He actually continued to look comfortable in the pocket even knowing he likely doesn't have the time needed for the WRs to get down field. I was actually really impressed when I saw his stat line. If he can continue to throw for a 65% clip, Iowa is in good hands the remainder of the season.

My suggestions to Brian: Stop calling screen plays. The OL just doesn't have the knack to execute them and it is always a wasted down. BF needs to find a way to get Bruce the ball. Elsbury needs to be the full time LG. No more rotation. Richman-Elsbury-Jones-Stephens-Colby. Those are your best 5. It is time to ride or die with them.

This team can still win 8-9 games this season. No one in the West is hands down better than the Hawkeyes right now. IMO everything went Michigan's way Saturday and Iowa had a chance at the end to make things very interesting but just couldn't capitalize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News