ADVERTISEMENT

Moon landing today

DooBi

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2006
I'm surprised there's no thread. I didn't even know about it till about an hour ago. Sorry no link but USA is landing a craft on the moon today for the first time in 50 years.

ErWTg7KXEAAS81R.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk

Odds that crewed mission gets delayed and eventually scrubbed?

Delayed, I’d feel safe betting.
Scrubbed? Nah, we’re going because we’re not sit here while the Chinese build a moon base.

Meh IDK what the chinese are gonna do but in my lifetime any time NASA plans to do anything exciting they delay and eventually scrub it before anything comes to fruition.

They had like 3 different plans to replace the space shuttle. Cancelled all 3 and just let spaceX build them a basic capsule that looks like we used in the 60's.

God knows how many plans they had to go to Mars that were canceled.

Meh IDK what the chinese are gonna do but in my lifetime any time NASA plans to do anything exciting they delay and eventually scrub it before anything comes to fruition.

They had like 3 different plans to replace the space shuttle. Cancelled all 3 and just let spaceX build them a basic capsule that looks like we used in the 60's.

Good news, NASA is going to piggyback on SpaceX to get there.

Odysseus, a robotic lunar lander built by the Houston-based company Intuitive Machines, lifted off atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida early this morning (Feb. 15).

If all goes according to plan, Odysseus will touch down near the moon's south pole on Feb. 22, becoming the first-ever private spacecraft to ace a lunar landing. Success would also be a big deal for the United States, which hasn't been to the lunar surface since NASA's Apollo 17 mission more than half a century ago.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers

That's part of the problem. Anything really cool takes decades to pull off and when new Presidents get elected they like to change the focus on what NASA is doing so then they have to start over and nothing ends up actually getting accomplished.

That's part of the problem. Anything really cool takes decades to pull off and when new Presidents get elected they like to change the focus on what NASA is doing so then they have to start over and nothing ends up actually getting accomplished.

No I agree it's not entirely NASA's problem, they havn't had a clear mission in space since the 70's and they haven't had the funding they need to really pull off anything big.

But I'm pretty used to the disappointment that I'd be shocked by anything bold.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
"Surveyor 1 was the first lunar soft-lander in the uncrewed Surveyor program of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA, United States). This lunar soft-lander gathered data about the lunar surface that would be needed for the crewed Apollo Moon landings that began in 1969. The successful soft landing of Surveyor 1 on the Ocean of Storms was the first by an American space probe on any extraterrestrial body,[3] occurring on the first attempt and just four months after the first soft Moon landing by the Soviet Union's Luna 9 probe.

Surveyor 1 was launched May 30, 1966, from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at Cape Canaveral, Florida, and it landed on the Moon on June 2, 1966. Surveyor 1 transmitted 11,237 still photos of the lunar surface to the Earth by using a television camera and a sophisticated radio-telemetry system.

The Surveyor program was managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in Los Angeles County, California, and the Surveyor space probe was built by the Hughes Aircraft Company in El Segundo, California."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveyor_1

Surveyor_NASA_lunar_lander.jpg

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I'm surprised there's no thread. I didn't even know about it till about an hour ago. Sorry no link but USA is landing a craft on the moon today for the first time in 50 years.
We wound up watching it, but I knew nothing about it until about 10 min before it happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT