ADVERTISEMENT

More evidence for the need for regulating home schooling.

Why would you need to pass a background check to school them when you have legal custody of them and they live in your home?

The public education system in the United States is graduating millions of functionally illiterate kids every year. If some whackjobs don’t want to take their kids to a free daycare so they can teach them on their own, it ain’t our problem. People need to stop thinking everyone needs their oversight en masse because some loser outliers pull sickening, demented shit like this

441017707_458368933320783_5184925600981670926_n.jpg

Yes parents are always right. 🙄 why is it bad to test homeschooled kids or even check up on their welfare. Or heaven forbid a background check of the parents https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article288415375.html

So stupid people do stupid things and that is a knock on others that are not stupid people doing stupid things?

Obviously any of us are just wtf when we hear about shit like this, Even wishing they would get their due in prison feels shallow.

I am not one to get homeschooling..but do recognize that many very successful people have been home schooled.

Last edited:
I say we just get them tax payer funded checks for $7,500 per year/student so they get better. And nah, no need for any transparency or accountability.

Who’s with me?!
The only way for consumers to enforce accountability is for them to have choices.

$7,500 per student means $150,000 to fund a classroom of 20 kids.

We need to have as many schools as we do restaurants, with the similar variety of choices. Let the consumer drive, not the bureaucracy.

Why would you need to pass a background check to school them when you have legal custody of them and they live in your home?

The public education system in the United States is graduating millions of functionally illiterate kids every year. If some whackjobs don’t want to take their kids to a free daycare so they can teach them on their own, it ain’t our problem. People need to stop thinking everyone needs their oversight en masse because some loser outliers pull sickening, demented shit like this
Millions huh? So half of kids that graduate high school are "functionally illiterate"?

The only way for consumers to enforce accountability is for them to have choices.

We need to have as many schools as we do restaurants, with the similar variety of choices. Let the consumer drive, not the bureaucracy.

Capitalistic driven education policy - and poof a side of accountability comes with it too! Yeah, baby. Brilliant!

Reactions: Pinehawk
If this child was in a public school, she would likely be receiving food and someone noticing the bruises.
Maybe. This kid was on video for school doing an online program, so it isnt like she was unseen. And you would be surprised how many kids are ashamed by the abuse they receive and lie to cover it up.

Millions huh? So half of kids that graduate high school are "functionally illiterate"?
Worked with a guy in the sign business once and his company had some public contracts (think signage in an airport or large office building) and he mentioned that their firm received research on this over the years and how the need for icon usage had grown significantly (meaning they were making more and more signs with pictures of toilets than signs that spelled out “restroom”). Apparently some organizations have to decide price per sign and having words + icon cost a lot more than icon only. CSB

I think requiring testing for home schooled kids has merit.

It's a baseline check to ensure they're actually getting educated.
Why, actually being educated isn't a requirement for students in public schools? How many kids have to graduate without being able to read or do basic math before you believe something needs to be done? How about you worry about that problem before you worry about the few home schooled kids with the same issue.

Are there background checks on public school parents? And by whom? School district police? Who is this that you think is responsible for people in general?
Uh...are you being facetious or do you really think that they let people teach children in a public school without a background check? Hell, you have to have a background check if you want to chaperone a field trip.

Why, actually being educated isn't a requirement for students in public schools? How many kids have to graduate without being able to read or do basic math before you believe something needs to be done? How about you worry about that problem before you worry about the few home schooled kids with the same issue.
I have the bandwidth to worry about both, thanks.

Home schooled kids should be tested annually IMO.

Public school kids should be tested annually IMO.

Private School kids should be tested annually IMO.

1. Make sure kids are learning.
2. Provides a pretty good baseline metric in regards to home schooling v public v private schools.

2. Provides a pretty good baseline metric in regards to home schooling v public v private schools.
It's not the testing that bothers me. It's the purpose of the testing that makes or breaks it for me. Under the right circumstances, I would welcome it. If the testing is used as a diagnostic tool to determine what we are teaching well and what isn't being taught very well then that would actually help me do my job better. What concepts are my students understanding? What do we need to do better at? That would be helpful. However, turning them into a sword to punish teachers, or basing their pay off of students who have competitions to see who can fill in the circles the fastest or who simply put their head down is pointless and a waste of money.

And for those thinking "Well students will still not take the test seriously even if it were just a diagnostic tool", that is correct but those scores are obvious and can be dropped out for the purposes of figuring out what needs to be improved. There will still be enough students who do take the test seriously to draw conclusions from. However, those kids not taking the test seriously are often enough to lower the evaluation score of a teacher.

If you want teacher accountability, then I should be able to explain and demonstrate what I've done to address the lower scores in certain areas.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
So stupid people do stupid things and that is a knock on others that are not stupid people doing stupid things?

Obviously any of us are just wtf when we hear about shit like this, Even wishing they would get their due in prison feels shallow.

I am not one to get homeschooling..but do recognize that many very successful people have been home schooled.
how is that your take? I'm saying they should have regulations. The general public has no clue how many register sex offenders or child abusers can hide their kids at home.
Yes people homeschool well, too many people assume that is the norm.

yes, Why don't homeschooling people have them?

None. Stop being obtuse.

Reactions: Tom Paris

yes.

Capitalistic driven education policy - and poof a side of accountability comes with it too! Yeah, baby. Brilliant!
If you’ve ever owned a business, you realize the consumer is a ruthless sonuvabitch.

How often do you go back to bad restaurants?

we should know where every kid is going to school. EVERY ONE..... That is beyond contesting. We pay likely trillions to educate our populous, and it's required.
therefore: college data.
every kid in the US should take the same test. How can we not have a baseline data to compare kids. Whether it be public v private v homeschool v online.

Reactions: 3boysmom
we should know where every kid is going to school. EVERY ONE..... That is beyond contesting. We pay likely trillions to educate our populous, and it's required.
therefore: college data.
every kid in the US should take the same test. How can we not have a baseline data to compare kids. Whether it be public v private v homeschool v online.
I had a co-worker about 5 years ago that was 'un-schooling' her child. She was letting him learn whatever he wanted to learn how/when he wanted to learn it. Met him once, and he seemed very awkward. He should be around 16 now, wonder how he turned out.

If you’ve ever owned a business, you realize the consumer is a ruthless sonuvabitch.

How often do you go back to bad restaurants?

If you feel the need (and associated methods) for educating the populace is equivalent to how you treat bad chicken fingers, I’m afraid you and I are on different planets fella. I’ll save us some time and bid you adieu on this topic. Adieu!

It's true in my district and it has been that way for quite a long time actually.
I did a search and I see that DSM public schools require a background check to accompany a field trip.

It's not the testing that bothers me. It's the purpose of the testing that makes or breaks it for me. Under the right circumstances, I would welcome it. If the testing is used as a diagnostic tool to determine what we are teaching well and what isn't being taught very well then that would actually help me do my job better. What concepts are my students understanding? What do we need to do better at? That would be helpful. However, turning them into a sword to punish teachers, or basing their pay off of students who have competitions to see who can fill in the circles the fastest or who simply put their head down is pointless and a waste of money.

And for those thinking "Well students will still not take the test seriously even if it were just a diagnostic tool", that is correct but those scores are obvious and can be dropped out for the purposes of figuring out what needs to be improved. There will still be enough students who do take the test seriously to draw conclusions from. However, those kids not taking the test seriously are often enough to lower the evaluation score of a teacher.

If you want teacher accountability, then I should be able to explain and demonstrate what I've done to address the lower scores in certain areas.
How about we actually use the information obtained during these tests? If a student can't master the skills taught in 3rd grade, then they don't go to 4th grade until they can. No more simply passing kids up because they were in a grade for a year. If a kid refuses to try, then he can stay in 3rd grade until he decides to leave school or starts applying himself/herself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT