ADVERTISEMENT

MSU has new Alt Uni's

Seems like, unfortunately, our program as well as some of our fans are under the impression that things like this do nothing for the program. To them, we should still do things like they were done in the 70's, because dammit, that's the way they remember them.

Ha....and here I just got done reading on the main Rivals football board that most weren't impressed with the alternates. Maybe some of our fans are just easily amused by the shiny objects.

I like traditional unis, and I hate most "throwback" unis. But once a year I'd like to see something different.

Like, how about simply going all black for a game? I can't believe they haven't done this at least once. I guess we will have to wait till the next coach to see the all black look.

Alternate uniforms are a sign of the times and can be pretty cool, but I have to say that not sticking to the school colors feels a bit like cheating to me. As an Iowa fan it is particularly frustrating because we have a great color combination in Black and Gold and it appears that pretty soon every school is going to be incorporating black into their uni's on gameday; it's B.S.

Nebraska has used black one way or another the last 3 years with their alternate uniforms.

2012- Black Helmets with Black numbers.
2013- Black jersey's with a black strip on a white helmet.
2014- All Red uniforms with crappy Black lettering and numbers and strips.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the alternate unis and don't really think that they affect the way a team plays, but it's does seem like something that Iowa has to do because the players like it. I only hope there is never an all black option though - I can't think of a more boring scheme.

You fellas are too young, apparently, but when the great Frank Lauterbur took over the Hawkeyes in 1971, he put Iowa in an all black uni with a thin gold stripe on the pants that, in the sunlight, looked red. That all black uni, like almost every single one of these "alternate" unis, was a monstrosity and an embarrassment. And do I need to remind that just because others are doing it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The Hawkeyes have a classic uni and so many other problems with the football program. Forget the unis and devise an "alternate" game plan, one that features lots of touchdowns on offense and lots of shutdown on defense. That's the only alternate I care about.

I wouldn't mind if Iowa wore the 1960 throwback uniforms once a year. Hell NFL teams do this on more than one occasion each season.

It's something different but it also maintains a sense of tradition.

You fellas are too young, apparently, but when the great Frank Lauterbur took over the Hawkeyes in 1971, he put Iowa in an all black uni with a thin gold stripe on the pants that, in the sunlight, looked red. That all black uni, like almost every single one of these "alternate" unis, was a monstrosity and an embarrassment. And do I need to remind that just because others are doing it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The Hawkeyes have a classic uni and so many other problems with the football program. Forget the unis and devise an "alternate" game plan, one that features lots of touchdowns on offense and lots of shutdown on defense. That's the only alternate I care about.
Agreed to the Nth degree.

Take Maryland for instance. Their football uniforms look like something Bruce Jenner's clan would incorporate for a family reunion.

How about this. Spend less on a 100 "alternate" uniforms, less on Coaching salaries, and think about dropping ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, etc. for fans attempting to see this wonderful product.

Lets try that for once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT