ADVERTISEMENT

Neil deGrasse Tyson has jumped the shark.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Does he do anything now other than appear on stuff and explain to whoever he’s talking to about how big numbers are or odds are or space is?

The last 50 times I’ve see him he’s saying something along the lines of, “If you poured salt onto this table and colored one of the grains pink and one blue, the odds that that pink grain and blue grain landing within an inch of each other is the same odds as a person getting struck by lightning in a place lightning only strikes three times a year while on a roller coaster.”

Why do I need to know these things?

Does he do anything now other than appear on stuff and explain to whoever he’s talking to about how big numbers are or odds are or space is?

The last 50 times I’ve see him he’s saying something along the lines of, “If you poured salt onto this table and colored one of the grains pink and one blue, the odds that that pink grain and blue grain landing within an inch of each other is the same odds as a person getting struck by lightning in a place lightning only strikes three times a year while on a roller coaster.”

Why do I need to know these things?
sometimes he will tweet about how something in a sci fi movie is unrealistic as if the whole movie is based on fact.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
He came to Iowa to do a lecture back in like 2012 or something. I tried to go but the line was 4 blocks long and I didn't want to see him that bad.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
I enjoy him, but like most things I like, there seems to be a segment of victimized individuals who specifically hate the same thing I like.
I like him. But I like him for what he used to be like. The first 30 times I seen him explain how fast light goes was cool. But let’s move on, NDT.

Said it before, will say it again until me saying it has also jumped the shark. The phrase jump the shark had jumped the shark. Shark

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
He came to Iowa to do a lecture back in like 2012 or something. I tried to go but the line was 4 blocks long and I didn't want to see him that bad.
Should of. That hunk of a man was hotter than the Wolf-Rayet 102 star that night.

Yeah but listen to this. Seriously.

If you completely shuffle a full deck of cards, it is virtually impossible that that order of cards has EVER been in existence in the history of decks of cards. Never have you EVER had the same deck of cards and you never will. And you have never had the same deck of cards as anyone in history. And you never will. Ever.

I learned that from Tyson. I used to think of him as a game show host but I have become a fan over the last several years. I like his videos on Facebook. I could do without that other dude making dumb jokes that Tyson always finds hilarious. That's dumb but the rest is good imo.

Also I'm 99% positive he's high as **** in a lot of his videos.

If you completely shuffle a full deck of cards, it is virtually impossible that that order of cards has EVER been in existence in the history of decks of cards. Never have you EVER had the same deck of cards and you never will. And you have never had the same deck of cards as anyone in history. And you never will. Ever.

I learned that from Tyson. I used to think of him as a game show host but I have become a fan over the last several years. I like his videos on Facebook. I could do without that other dude making dumb jokes that Tyson always finds hilarious. That's dumb but the rest is good imo.

I agree that the deck has never been shuffled like that before but is it really impossible?

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

Sadly, there are a lot of physicists who sorta stop doing physics and turn to dabbling in cosmology.

Reactions: DooBi
Well, it's easier to have someone do your make-up when appearing on camera, but you can't always have someone there when needed, so doing it yourself is a good skill to have. :)
especially if them being "there" isn't actually happening.

I agree that the deck has never been shuffled like that before but is it really impossible?
From quantumbase.com:

Try for yourself – if you make friends with every person on earth and each person shuffles one deck of cards each second, for the age of the Universe, there will be a one in a trillion, trillion, trillion chance of two decks matching.

Sadly, there are a lot of physicists who sorta stop doing physics and turn to dabbling in cosmology.

All jokes aside, he has very much always been focused on the stars. But I love how he makes big numbers very understandable to the layman. I don't follow a ton of physicists who have "dabbled in cosmology" so not sure I have noticed or care but I'd also submit they go hand in hand so labeling seems odd to me.

Any interest or expansion of Americans into STEM and education, I give 2 hoots how / who causes it. We need more NDT and less MTG.

All jokes aside, he has very much always been focused on the stars. But I love how he makes big numbers very understandable to the layman. I don't follow a ton of physicists who have "dabbled in cosmology" so not sure I have noticed or care but I'd also submit they go hand in hand so labeling seems odd to me.

Any interest or expansion of Americans into STEM and education, I give 2 hoots how / who causes it. We need more NDT and less MTG.
JA Wheeler. No argument on that latter point, though I wonder a bit whether it's really true. I think plenty of young people went the stem pathway between 2000-present; they just didn't do it through a university. So the U's have largely been left with the dregs.

He is an arrogant hack who runs an ok'ish planetarium. Laypeople think he is a physicist or astronomer. He is neither. He is a "celebrity." He's like Carl Sagan without a functioning brain. His h index is 0, aka no publications. He does write shlock science books you can read when taking a shit. Since he is Black, white people have canonized him for his intellect ;)

He is an arrogant hack who runs an ok'ish planetarium. Laypeople think he is a physicist or astronomer. He is neither. He is a "celebrity." He's like Carl Sagan without a functioning brain. His h index is 0, aka no publications. He does write shlock science books you can read when taking a shit. Since he is Black, white people have canonized him for his intellect ;)
Did you just take a dig at Sagan??

Stop It Bruce Lee GIF

• Haha
Reactions: hawkirugged17
Did you just take a dig at Sagan??

Stop It Bruce Lee GIF
No. Carl is a hero of mine. The reboot with NDT of Cosmos, to me, was sacrilegious and for some reason, endorsed by Carl's wife. NDT couldn't hold Sagan's used jock. What I meant to say was that Carl tried to educate the masses using television as a medium. The key difference is Carl was an accomplished astronomer with a faculty appointment at Cornell, who published. NDT is a hack. Read what I wrote carefully.

No. Carl is a hero of mine. The reboot with NDT of Cosmos, to me, was sacrilegious and for some reason, endorsed by Carl's wife. NDT couldn't hold Sagan's used jock. What I meant to say was that Carl tried to educate the masses using television as a medium. The key difference is Carl was an accomplished astronomer with a faculty appointment at Cornell, who published. NDT is a hack. Read what I wrote carefully.
lol a 'hack'?
He bang your mom or something?

lol a 'hack'?
He bang your mom or something?
No. He's just arrogant, loud and mostly wrong. Most are getting tired of his shtick. He was on Colbert not too long ago and it was 10 min of cringe. Colbert used to be a fan but it was beyond awkward. Maybe fame got to his head. But again, he's not in Sagan's orbit.

Carl is to Stephen J. Gould, as Tyson is to Bill Nye.

Reactions: GOHOX69
No. He's just arrogant, loud and mostly wrong. Most are getting tired of his shtick. He was on Colbert not too long ago and it was 10 min of cringe. Colbert used to be a fan but it was beyond awkward. Maybe fame got to his head. But again, he's not in Sagan's orbit.
You sound like Sheldon from the Big Bang complaining about the new Professor Proton.

NDT hasn't claimed to be the new Sagan, he was just asked to do his old show.

You sound like Sheldon from the Big Bang complaining about the new Professor Proton.

NDT hasn't claimed to be the new Sagan, he was just asked to do his old show.
Nyah. Dude is a dick. I call it like it is. And there's nothing wrong with Sheldon.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT