Bobby Loesch

Scout Team
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2023

The Hyball: More And More Carrots​

rpyimkwiyyt47wlr2fen

Bobby Loesch • Go Iowa Awesome
@bobbystompy

The Hyball is a weekly basketball column.

Standing at the top of the mountain with more climbing hooks in hand.

Watching Iowa-Northwestern on Wednesday, I was reminded of the Jay-Z lyric, "We have yet to see a ceiling, we just top what we top" while also thinking about this exact matchup from two years ago.

On January 28, 2022, it was a quiet, cold, dark, Midwestern Friday in Chicago, IL. Tend to live very day-by-day as a sports fan, so I probably didn't know the Iowa women's basketball team was in "town" until the afternoon. Though Northwestern brands itself ambitiously (comedically, really) as "Chicago's Big Ten team," Evanston isn't the easiest place to get to from most parts of the Windy City.

Still, I wanted to go.

I'd yet to see then-sophomore Caitlin Clark hoop in person, and the game had that pull on me that all Important Events share. That singer. That play. That athlete. Had to go. Had to. It was only a matter of putting together a squad.

I reached out to several Iowa alum friends and general hoops fans, and through a mixture of bad timing or, sadly, disinterest, I wasn't able to get any bites. Didn't matter -- went alone. Didn't care.

What I found waiting for me was basketball nirvana.

READ MORE HERE:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News