ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban on NIL

This would be more meaningful coming from someone who hadn't earned $125M while coaching at Alabama.

I think most people agree, some regulation is necessary. As is, it's the wild west. College athletes are paid without being under contract and without salary cap. No professional sport pays their athletes in that manner.

I just can't take Saban seriously given that he's become ultra wealthy coaching players who've earned nothing while risking their health and futures winning him championships.

This would be more meaningful coming from someone who hadn't earned $125M while coaching at Alabama.

I think most people agree, some regulation is necessary. As is, it's the wild west. College athletes are paid without being under contract and without salary cap. No professional sport pays their athletes in that manner.

I just can't take Saban seriously given that he's become ultra wealthy coaching players who've earned nothing while risking their health and futures winning him championships.
Not arguing on with what you are saying, but why does an amateur athlete need to earn money for playing a sport? Yes, I understand the University makes lots of money off of college football. These athletes are given free room and board, a free education and a top of the line training facility. Nutritionist, strength coach, psychologist, tutors are all provided. They are basically given everything they need to make millions in the NFL.

Reactions: OldKohawk
Not arguing on with what you are saying, but why does an amateur athlete need to earn money for playing a sport? Yes, I understand the University makes lots of money off of college football. These athletes are given free room and board, a free education and a top of the line training facility. Nutritionist, strength coach, psychologist, tutors are all provided. They are basically given everything they need to make millions in the NFL.

Because their value is higher than that. Simple market economics. We are either a system of capitalism or not.

Saban , LOL. Color me not impressed. Bag men in the south didn't pop up right after NIL started. They had the infrastructure in place already. He's just irritated that other schools can now write big checks and catch up and athletes can leave every year and hop to another school.

Yes, it'll ruin the game, but it's now the law of the land and schools have to adapt.

... but why does an amateur athlete need to earn money for playing a sport? Yes, I understand the University makes lots of money off of college football. These athletes are given free room and board, a free education and a top of the line training facility. Nutritionist, strength coach, psychologist, tutors are all provided. They are basically given everything they need to make millions in the NFL.
Consider the amount of money Caitlin Clark brings to the University of Iowa; the dollars she brings to the community of Iowa City; the money she brings to the State of Iowa; et al.

Let the market decide.

Way too many hogs at the trough.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
I think what you eventually see here is the pro leagues starting to pay universities to house their minor league team called the Crimson Tide or Hawkeyes. The pros will subsidize this system to continue it. Otherwise the whole thing breaks down and it will cost the pros a lot more creating their own system. That's my theory on where this goes over time.

Reactions: el dub
I think what you eventually see here is the pro leagues starting to pay universities to house their minor league team called the Crimson Tide or Hawkeyes. The pros will subsidize this system to continue it. Otherwise the whole thing breaks down and it will cost the pros a lot more creating their own system. That's my theory on where this goes over time.

Maybe....

Maybe....

If the pro leagues don't step in, I'm afraid college sports will die on the vine. The cost for player services will quickly spiral out of control until only 10-20 schools are left to pay for the services. Universities have very poor business skills and the unions will clean their clocks unless more savvy people like pro leagues step in.

If the pro leagues don't step in, I'm afraid college sports will die on the vine. The cost for player services will quickly spiral out of control until only 10-20 schools are left to pay for the services. Universities have very poor business skills and the unions will clean their clocks unless more savvy people like pro leagues step in.

Least you forget; "the pie only got much bigger because of the players". Paraphrasing Marvin Miller.

Least you forget; "the pie only got much bigger because of the players". Paraphrasing Marvin Miller.
I get it. I'm against paying college kids philosophically, but I'm an economist so I get it intellectually. Since I don't think this train can be stopped, various groups have to plan their futures with a runaway train in the mix. It should be interesting how the whole things morphs over time (20+ years) given the powerful entities in play. It may end up different for different sports. I find this part of economics exciting. Rarely do you get to see new markets emerge before your eyes. I have no idea where it goes but I'm pretty sure the players, the universities, and pro leagues will eventually make it work on a scale where eveyone wins. It's capitalism after all. If it doesn't work for everyone, it dies or greatly diminishes.

Reactions: vhsalum
The bad news is ticket prices will go up. The good news is that since players will be paid and won't necessarily be playing for Good Ole State first but for themselves, alumni donations can be reduced to compensate. So see, a whole range of new habits will develop from this new paradigm.

On a serious note, you can kiss the past goodbye. It ain't coming back. No idea what this may mean for Olympic sports. I see good and bad. Since there are no pro leagues in wrestling (don't talk to me about WWE), you might even be able to convince the govt to support wrestling as a national sport for national Olympic honor or some such BS. There are tons of tentacles to this thing. Can an Ira Lubert pay out of pocket to support the entire PSU program? Can Bob for Iowa? It's like New Orleans at Mardi Gras. Anything goes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT