ADVERTISEMENT

NIL question

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
I’m not really educated much on the NIL process. I have a couple of questions. I’ll use Proctor as an example. So, let’s say he was given a million from Alabama. I’m assuming that is for 4/5 years? Not a million every year? Also, does he just walk away from Alabama with his million?

I’m not really educated much on the NIL process. I have a couple of questions. I’ll use Proctor as an example. So, let’s say he was given a million from Alabama. I’m assuming that is for 4/5 years? Not a million every year? Also, does he just walk away from Alabama with his million?
Contracts. I would assume it’s like any other profession. If you get paid to do ABC for XYZ amount of time you get paid when it’s complete. If you leave before you complete the ABC you only get some or none of your $$$

Firstly Bumper, Proctor was not given the million from the Univ of Alabama. Proctor got some sort of NIL contract(s) set up by a third party for him to used his image and likeness, and his names in some way. Now that is the name, image, and likeness of NIL and the player does this through 3rd parties like Caitlyn Clark has contracts with HyVee and other companies.

But maybe for Proctor all he had to do for his money was play at Bama, which is really just Pay for Play and should be illegal.

So in essence a third party is not connected to the school in anyway, including the boosters?

Hard to say without knowing the contract he signed. @ICHawk2440 explanation seems most logical.

So in essence a third party is not connected to the school in anyway, including the boosters?
Correct. It's typically a 501c3 that collects funds, and then distributes the funds based on "services rendered" usually some sort of cush public appearance.

I dont think the school can work directly in a contractual way with what they call the NIL collectives which raise money to pay players or with business agents who line up contracts for a player like Caitlyn Clark doing commercials for HyVee.

Now it is coming up that schools will be splitting up money and giving it to student athletes but that money comes from what the athletic departments make from tv contracts, ticket sales, concessions, etc. These payments are going to be more like a stipend for the players and maybe all players will get the same amount

Correct. It's typically a 501c3 that collects funds, and then distributes the funds based on "services rendered" usually some sort of cush public appearance.
I'm not sure many of them are 501c3's.

Iowa has two - one is a 501c3, and as you described there are some community obligations for players that get paid.

The other one is not. It's pretty much just pay for play.

I'm guessing most of them are simply pay for play.

Reactions: millah_22
I read an interview with Proctor where he said that the NIL money he would be getting at Iowa was about the same as what he had at Alabama. So this is a case where the SWARM has helped Iowa fans have nice things.

I think Alabama is in trouble because all those 4 and 5 star players are now going to require NIL money and Alabama is not an exceptional in the amount of NIL money they have to spend. The exceptional NIL schools are now Billionaire backed or in high poplulation density areas that can get a lot of businesses paying NIL.

I'm thinking about joining swarm. I pay $960/year for Youtube TV with sports package primarily to see Iowa play. Might as well shell out some money to improve the results.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT