ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Salary Cap

IACub

HR Legend
Sep 25, 2009
Iowa City, IA
If college athletes are going to be paid like professionals, why can't we just regulate fairness like the NFL? Put a salary cap on teams based on division. Better yet, base it on number of scholarships, so that a team punished with fewer scholarships also gets less salary cap.

This takes nothing away from a student athlete's rights to make money on their name, image, or likeness, but it levels the playing field, and would hopefully stop the free-for-all after every season.

If college athletes are going to be paid like professionals, why can't we just regulate fairness like the NFL? Put a salary cap on teams based on division. Better yet, base it on number of scholarships, so that a team punished with fewer scholarships also gets less salary cap.

This takes nothing away from a student athlete's rights to make money on their name, image, or likeness, but it levels the playing field, and would hopefully stop the free-for-all after every season.
That combined with 1 FREE transfer and I'm in. NIL could be used for endorsements and such. I'm too lazy to do it again but I think my prior math was if the NCAA capped all Football programs at $12 MIL they could pay all 85 scholarship players roughly $130,000 a year.

That combined with 1 FREE transfer and I'm in. NIL could be used for endorsements and such. I'm too lazy to do it again but I think my prior math was if the NCAA capped all Football programs at $12 MIL they could pay all 85 scholarship players roughly $130,000 a year.
You wouldn't even have to cap the number of transfers, really. That seems legally unenforceable, anyway. But if a team is pushing that hypothetical $12 million, then it slows the massive amount of transfers naturally. Also, the team has to commit to that player like a contract. No dropping a player to add a better one.

You wouldn't even have to cap the number of transfers, really. That seems legally unenforceable, anyway. But if a team is pushing that hypothetical $12 million, then it slows the massive amount of transfers naturally. Also, the team has to commit to that player like a contract. No dropping a player to add a better one.
I mentioned in a B-ball thread I'd like to see them give incentives for staying in the same school. The NIL would increase each year they stay in the same school & bonus when they graduate. Also bonus for wins, championships & bowl appearances just like coaches.

This could stop the transfers (to some extent) and give them incentives to stay & graduate. Maybe even defer some compensation.

I mentioned in a B-ball thread I'd like to see them give incentives for staying in the same school. The NIL would increase each year they stay in the same school & bonus when they graduate. Also bonus for wins, championships & bowl appearances just like coaches.

This could stop the transfers (to some extent) and give them incentives to stay & graduate. Maybe even defer some compensation.
The idea of a salary cap for NCAA basketball is even more appealing. Right now it's a dumpster fire.

The NCAA has a salary cap. It's zero. They have no authority over NIL. Any talk of them regulating it is pointless. There's no cap on what an NFL player can make in endorsements either.

The NCAA has a salary cap. It's zero. They have no authority over NIL. Any talk of them regulating it is pointless. There's no cap on what an NFL player can make in endorsements either.
They can regulate the eligibility in the transfer rules. Sit out a year for first transfer, 2 years for 2nd transfer

As soon as it became legal for athletes to make money outside of the school, schools and the NCAA lost all power and control over how much they can make. Your example would equate to the NFL telling teams that their players can only accept a maximum of 50 million dollars each year in endorsement money. NIL is endorsement money.

Limiting the number of times a player can transfer will have the added benefit of essentially capping NIL. If you can’t lure a player away with more money if they can’t transfer again. I think limiting it to one transfer as an undergrad and one more as a graduate makes sense.

Limiting the number of times a player can transfer will have the added benefit of essentially capping NIL. If you can’t lure a player away with more money if they can’t transfer again. I think limiting it to one transfer as an undergrad and one more as a graduate makes sense.
This exactly. The NCAA really ****ed this up. They need to limit transfers. With NIL, I don't want to ever hear these athletes complaining. They get free education(if they care about one),housing. The NFL has prospered by not having to support a minor league which is what colleges are. They get all the benefits and bear none of the cost.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT