ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Home Games

Packer54

HR All-American
Mar 30, 2014
Just read on Athlon that over the next 2 years the majority of their home games will be at their practice facility.

Sounds exciting.........

Just read on Athlon that over the next 2 years the majority of their home games will be at their practice facility.

Sounds exciting.........
Wouldnt it make more financial sense for them to play their home games with big 10 opponents at the opponents stadium. Just sell those games as home games and let your fans travel.

For example if they play at Kinnick as the home team and NW can sell 30000 tixs then open the other nearly 40000 tix for iowa fans. Then structure the payout to give a good split between the 2 schools.

I hope we don't play there in November. Should be awfully cold and windy at that spot.

Honestly, it's an embarrassment to the conference for them to play on that field.

Capacity of MAYBE 2,000. Depending on what temporary seating they can do. Probably looking into the wind coming off the lake.

Genius.

EDIT: Looks like just ONE conference game and the non-conference games will be there. They'll probably have it for the Iowa game tho. Idiots

Reactions: lucas80
I hope we don't play there in November. Should be awfully cold and windy at that spot.

Honestly, it's an embarrassment to the conference for them to play on that field.

Capacity of MAYBE 2,000. Depending on what temporary seating they can do. Probably looking into the wind coming off the lake.

Genius.

EDIT: Looks like just ONE conference game and the non-conference games will be there. They'll probably have it for the Iowa game tho. Idiots
I’m hoping the bigger conference games can be at Wrigley. Obviously during the non-conference games the Cubs will still be using it so maybe that’s why they need this temporary setup for the first few games of the season.

Wouldnt it make more financial sense for them to play their home games with big 10 opponents at the opponents stadium. Just sell those games as home games and let your fans travel.

For example if they play at Kinnick as the home team and NW can sell 30000 tixs then open the other nearly 40000 tix for iowa fans. Then structure the payout to give a good split between the 2 schools.
NW selling 30k…hilarious.

Reactions: uihawk82
I suppose there is a reason for this, but why wouldn't they attempt to use Soldier Field? Certainly they looked at options, but that seems like an obvious alternative.

Reactions: LukaDuka

Genius.

At home this year and don't play them next year.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
I suppose there is a reason for this, but why wouldn't they attempt to use Soldier Field? Certainly they looked at options, but that seems like an obvious alternative.
Honestly I think it’s because they are worried the stadium would be mostly empty and it would be embarrassing. The tweet just says non-conference and one conference game. I assume attendance for those will be like 20k

Genius.

They are not going to use just the existing stands at this location. They are going to build a temporary stadium along the lines of what they do on that Par 3 at the Waste Management Open. It will have a capacity around 20,000.

Finding a suitable location was not easy. The Bears' schedule for the fall is not set yet. Moreover, Soldier Field hosts both the Bears and a soccer team on turf that has been notoriously bad in recent years. Word is that the Bears were not too receptive. Wrigley isn't available until after baseball season. SeatGeek Stadium, a soccer stadium on the South Side, has a music festival that conflicts with one of NU's early games. Just not a lot of great options. Personally, I think the temporary stadium on the lake will be cool for a few years--and better than a high school stadium.
WM_OPEN_GETTY_IMAGES.jpg

Word is that the Bears were not too receptive.

So, Bears were ok to play in U of Illinois’ stadium while Soldier Field was being renovated, but they’re being difficult when the Chicago area B1G team could use a similar arrangement. What a bunch of punks. No wonder their team usually sucks.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
The B1G needs to step in and tell them to either figure it out with the Bears or your conference games are all on the road.

You can't play a game next to the lake in October or November with absolutely no wind block; there won't be one forward pass and kicking/punting could be almost impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT