ADVERTISEMENT

Odd old-time Colorado Buffs basketball question

wneff

HR Heisman
Jan 14, 2003
I don't want to have to join a Colorado ( or ISU) board to ask this. I had an odd memory come to me while bicycling this afternoon. Only thing that could be odder is if the memory didn't even happen.

I grew up in Des Moines in the 60s and 70s. For basketball on Saturday afternoons, channel 13 showed the MVC game of the week, 8 had the Big 10, and of course 5 had the Big 8. We didn't get a color TV until March 1969.*

So, with regard to Colorado, we would be starting with the 69-70 season ( the Cliff Meely era). What I remember, though, is that every single game broadcast EXCEPT for the ones played in Boulder was in color.** Colorado home games were black and white. Altitude? I also remember the Colorado floor having some weird gloss, so maybe didn't broadcast well in color. Anyone else remember this or able to explain? I suppose I'll manage if I don't get an answer.

*It was in fact the very night Drake played UCLA in the Final Four. My recollection has always been that this was a coincidence, but that sure sounds naive when read.
**The basement TV was still B&W until the 80s or so and where I spent much of my time.

I may be wrong but I believe most arenas back then had their own cameras installed so all a broadcast would have to do is tie into those. Maybe this was the case at Balch Fieldhouse and it was one of the ones to convert to color cameras later than the rest.

And fyi, Youtube, the UCLA-Drake videos there are in B&W. Color was coming on big time in the 60's, but it wasn't universal yet. For some reason I remember the Iowa-Jacksonville regional final was in B&W and we got our first color TV in 1967.

Hard to say really.

Last edited:
I don't want to have to join a Colorado ( or ISU) board to ask this. I had an odd memory come to me while bicycling this afternoon. Only thing that could be odder is if the memory didn't even happen.

I grew up in Des Moines in the 60s and 70s. For basketball on Saturday afternoons, channel 13 showed the MVC game of the week, 8 had the Big 10, and of course 5 had the Big 8. We didn't get a color TV until March 1969.*

So, with regard to Colorado, we would be starting with the 69-70 season ( the Cliff Meely era). What I remember, though, is that every single game broadcast EXCEPT for the ones played in Boulder was in color.** Colorado home games were black and white. Altitude? I also remember the Colorado floor having some weird gloss, so maybe didn't broadcast well in color. Anyone else remember this or able to explain? I suppose I'll manage if I don't get an answer.

*It was in fact the very night Drake played UCLA in the Final Four. My recollection has always been that this was a coincidence, but that sure sounds naive when read.
**The basement TV was still B&W until the 80s or so and where I spent much of my time.
AlI we had on farm was black and white with two stations. Three on a good day. But the first thing that came to mind when you said Colorado was Cliff Meely. Remember listening to Colorado-ISU on radio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT