ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

Hmmm, flames appearing under the smoke about the Padres being forced to slash payroll. They had to take out a $50 million loan this year. Not wholly uncommon, and they drew 3.3 million fans, but they are having TV revenue issues.
Soto must go, apparently. Anyone else worth kicking the tires on?
I’ve seen Jake Cronenworth also talked about, but he’s a year into a 7 year deal for $80M. Not a terrible price for him, but he’ll be 31 and that’s a lot of years left for a player that is solid, but not great.

The Cubs have started cleaning up their 40 man roster. Burdi, Estrada, and Young. I’d expect them to try and bring all three back on minor league deals.
I would agree on all 3.
If I have this correct, Cubs won't have to worry about losing Estrada; he'll have to accept the minor league assignment. Young and Burdi have been outrighted before, so I believe they are free to sign with anyone. Would be nice to have all of three of them in the organization, though, and brought into spring training as NRI's.

I'd have to think that Heuer is next - don't picture the organization paying ARB2 $ for a guy who may not even pitch in '24. After that, there is probably enough room on the 40-man (for the R5D) that they can wait until Nov 17 to make decisions on other non-tender candidates.

Expect any surprises on the options contracts? I assume Stroman, Hendricks, Gomes & Smyly to have options exercised. I expect that Boxberger won't. And of course, I expect the Cubs and Belli won't suddenly come up with a multi-year deal during the quiet period, and the Cubs will extend a QO.

The Cubs would have won the World Series this year if they would have signed Corey Seager two years. Instead they stuck a bunch of money into two bums in Happ and Suzuki. Seager is a hell of a ball player.

The Cubs would have won the World Series this year if they would have signed Corey Seager two years. Instead they stuck a bunch of money into two bums in Happ and Suzuki. Seager is a hell of a ball player.
CSB. Sounds like you should be a Rangers fan. Start a thread on them.

I would rather have Stroman back than that damn Japanese pitcher they’re going to sign because he’s Suzuki’s friend.

If I have this correct, Cubs won't have to worry about losing Estrada; he'll have to accept the minor league assignment. Young and Burdi have been outrighted before, so I believe they are free to sign with anyone. Would be nice to have all of three of them in the organization, though, and brought into spring training as NRI's.

I'd have to think that Heuer is next - don't picture the organization paying ARB2 $ for a guy who may not even pitch in '24. After that, there is probably enough room on the 40-man (for the R5D) that they can wait until Nov 17 to make decisions on other non-tender candidates.

Expect any surprises on the options contracts? I assume Stroman, Hendricks, Gomes & Smyly to have options exercised. I expect that Boxberger won't. And of course, I expect the Cubs and Belli won't suddenly come up with a multi-year deal during the quiet period, and the Cubs will extend a QO.
I was wrong on Stro, I assumed he’d be back, but it’s probably a win-win for both him and the Cubs. He wasn’t healthy for a full season either of his years in Chicago and the Cubs need to add more whiff to the rotation. It’s interesting that we haven’t heard anything on Hendricks or Gomes yet, but I know there were reports of the Cubs working on restructuring Hendricks and it wouldn’t be surprising if they were doing the same with Gomes.

Smyly has an opt-out and I’d be fine if he took it, but I can’t imagine he will - don’t think he’ll get the same money on FA market. The Cubs have a good chunk of money to spend. JHey’s $23M is off the books, along with Stro’s $21M. Hendricks would be $16M and Gomes $6M. Belli’s $17M is cleared as is a combined $6M for Fulmer and Boxberger. Of course, they’re Still on the hook for a tick over $10M for Mancini and Barnhart this year, so that’s about $44M available plus whatever happens with Hendricks, Gomes & Smyly. A few arb increases likely (notably Steele), but if they’re willing to cross the first level of CBT, that opens up another $20M to spend before they hit tier 2.

I would rather have Stroman back than that damn Japanese pitcher they’re going to sign because he’s Suzuki’s friend.
I really like both Yamamoto and Imanaga and would be fine with the Cubs getting either or both.

I really like both Yamamoto and Imanaga and would be fine with the Cubs getting either or both.
No more Japanese players. You don’t remember Kosuke Fukudome. Spent a lot of money for little production. Just like Seyia Suzuki.

Stroman is betting on himself, which is his right. I just figured he'd do better after next season if he bounces back. I'm not sure how many years I'd give him guaranteed this offseason.

Reactions: hawkifann
Stroman is betting on himself, which is his right. I just figured he'd do better after next season if he bounces back. I'm not sure how many years I'd give him guaranteed this offseason.
With the number of guys this year lost to TJ, there will be a lot of teams chasing pitching, plus the age…but yeah, I thought the same thing. I can see the logic in what he’s doing, but I didn’t expect it.

With the number of guys this year lost to TJ, there will be a lot of teams chasing pitching, plus the age…but yeah, I thought the same thing. I can see the logic in what he’s doing, but I didn’t expect it.
I can see him getting something like what he signed for with the Cubs. 2-3 years. Something a team can get out from under, something he can get out of and bet on himself one final time.

I can see him getting something like what he signed for with the Cubs. 2-3 years. Something a team can get out from under, something he can get out of and bet on himself one final time.
Yep, and good for him.

Was thinking Cubs would have worked out a 2 or 3 year deal with Hendrick to save some on the annual salary. He’s more of a #3 or #4 these days, so $16.5m is a bit rich IMO; but like they brought him back

Was thinking Cubs would have worked out a 2 or 3 year deal with Hendrick to save some on the annual salary. He’s more of a #3 or #4 these days, so $16.5m is a bit rich IMO; but like they brought him back
I am crossing my fingers that they land one FA starter, and Ohtani. KH comes off the books for 2025 and Ohtani can return to pitching along with a wealth of home grown pitchers. At best Horton projects for 2025.
Given how close they came to landing Ohtani when he first came to the US I feel good about the Cubs chances. His buddy Suzuki is here. Wrigley is conducive to mashing homers for a lefty slugger, and it’s a world class city with a large Japanese population tied to multinational corporations.

I like the return of Gomes. Hopefully Amaya takes on more starts this year, but it’s a solid move. I’m glad they didn’t do something dumb like sign a Barnhart type just to find lefty / righty balance.

I like the return of Gomes. Hopefully Amaya takes on more starts this year, but it’s a solid move. I’m glad they didn’t do something dumb like sign a Barnhart type just to find lefty / righty balance.
Gomes at $6M is an absolute no-brainer. Don’t try to out-think the room. You can’t do better than him at that price point. Let Amaya transition into being #1.

Reactions: Scott559

I was in favor of an extension, just to be fully transparent, but the argument against is that he’s well into his 30s and extending him ties up years in which he’s likely not going to be at his best.

I realize Counsell is a good manager but Ross is beloved. Does the manager really make that much of a difference? Really? A big enough difference to make a move like this by dumping Ross?

Counsell probably wanted to see what he could do with a big market team that has the money to contend every year.

Have to wonder what will happen with Ross, a lateral move within the organization?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Wow, that is exciting. Knew he was making his decision today, but this is surprising and good.

Pretty self explanatory. Ross is canned and Counsell is hired. Not too difficult to figure out WTF just happened.
Well, no shit. It was just an extremely unexpected move. There was no indication the Cubs were parting ways with Ross.

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT