ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

Day off Thursday is much, much needed.

16 games in a row.

Rest, refresh and start winning series again.
And after their 1 day off, they get 10 in a row again. And as mentioned above, they get to face the #1 draft pick (Skenes) from last year on Saturday in Pittsburgh, and also get to face another Pirates hard thrower (Jones) on Friday. Skenes has pitched 27 1/3 IP at Indianapolis and has given up 3 runs with 45 Ks. Time for the bats to come to life.

They said on the broadcast today that today's game was the first time since they started recording Exit Velocity, that this is their first game without a hard hit ball (95 mph or higher). Tauchman had 94.6 today for their best effort. I guess Gomes had a little dribbler for their only hit. :rolleyes:

And after their 1 day off, they get 10 in a row again. And as mentioned above, they get to face the #1 draft pick (Skenes) from last year on Saturday in Pittsburgh, and also get to face another Pirates hard thrower (Jones) on Friday. Skenes has pitched 27 1/3 IP at Indianapolis and has given up 3 runs with 45 Ks. Time for the bats to come to life.

They said on the broadcast today that today's game was the first time since they started recording Exit Velocity, that this is their first game without a hard hit ball (95 mph or higher). Tauchman had 94.6 today for their best effort. I guess Gomes had a little dribbler for their only hit. :rolleyes:
They weathered not having key players well.

Just win series and avoid 2+ game losing streaks and they’ll be positioned excellently.

Just win series and avoid 2+ game losing streaks and they’ll be positioned excellently.
You’re right, that’s what they’ve been doing and what they need to continue to do as much as possible. They’ve had a 5-game winning streak, a 4-game winning streak and a 3-game winning streak, but no losing streaks more than 2 games. That will change at some point, but that’s why they’re staying in this thing. They’re avoiding the big down cycle.

Reactions: torbee

Yes they have. Their SP has been carrying them the last couple of weeks as their offense has struggled. Hopefully Suzuki can resume from where he left off before he got hurt. They need Swanson and Happ to get their offensive Mojo back.

Given the Cubs history against hard throwing rookies, I am somewhat concerned about this weekend in Pittsburgh though, to be honest. At least it appears that they are catching the Braves at a good time, unlike the team they faced last September.

I was looking foward to South Bend and the CR Kernals tonight on Marquee, but that is looking like a rain out right now. I'd rather see more Smokies games as the AA roster is more compelling, but you take what you can get on an off day.

South Bend is as good as the Cubs with the bases loaded and nobody out. Three straight strike outs with the bases loaded in the bottom of the first tonight.

Suzuki back today?
That was the plan as long as he didn't aggravate anything. 2 games of rehab, and rejoin the team in Pittsburgh. I believe he went 0-3 yesterday, but all that really matters is if he wakes up today clutching his side.

Yeah this injury crap has gotten UGLY! opefully we can hang on and at least play .500 ball for another couple weeks before the schedule lightens up closer to the 2nd half.

It's retroactive to May 8 it sounds like. Taillon is having back stiffness as well.
Which pisses me off. He’s been injured for over a week, and ineffective at the plate and in the field. He should have gone in the IL instead of “working through it”.

Reactions: hawkifann
60 miles N of the burgh, sun is shining and 55. Will get this game in, but Looks like rain Sat and Sunday both evening.

Yeah, Bellinger needs to play 1B. We're good already in the outfield, and this team depends too much on defense to have the worst defensive 1B in baseball.

What a crap line up tonight. Happ, Madrigal, PCA, Amaya...
bad willy wonka and the chocolate factory GIF

They're giving the BP more to work with tonight. Wonder if it will still turn into a nail biter, though?

So what was the projection for St. Louis. 83 Wins. There is no way this Cardinal team I’m watching the brewers slap around is going to win 75. Let alone 83. They suck at every phase of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I thought their leadoff hitter hit it out too, but I guess it was off the top of the wall. Still got a double.
As Harry Caray would have said, "One more biscuit for breakfast and that would have been out of here"! And, that guy, Grandal, is a White Sox cast off. How bad is it to almost give up a four bagger to him?

So what was the projection for St. Louis. 83 Wins. There is no way this Cardinal team I’m watching the brewers slap around is going to win 75. Let alone 83. They suck at every phase of the game.

And it’s glorious!

“Best fans in baseball” don’t show up when they suck.

Reactions: Easthawk1062
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT