ADVERTISEMENT

? on Fran and transfers

Hawkeye2222

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2014
did he say he WON'T take them or did he say he DOESN'T LIKE to take them? taking a transfer SR as a Center makes sense as that would fill a void and allow him to have 5 scholarships for the 2016 class other than banking a scholarship.

then in 2016 he can take 2 centers, with 2 other players to go with Pemsyl, Fran will definitely need a PG at least the SG and SF position is full,

he doesn't like the 5th year rule nor does he like recruiting over program kids with one year players.

he doesn't have a problem with kids transferring. he was a transfer himself, and he's recruited traditional transfers, juco transfers, and kids that were signed elsewhere.

thx. so it is my understanding that he would take a PF in this class that was 6'8 to 6'10 as there is no proven player for that spot?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

thx. so it is my understanding that he would take a PF in this class that was 6'8 to 6'10 as there is no proven player for that spot?
Yes, because he actually has 2 open scholarships currently.

He could take two players yet this spring if he wanted to.

I know he can take 2. just don't see him taking 2 transfers that were 1 year players, but thx. after reading some of these posts where someone said Fran would be a hypocrite if he took one, I got kinda curious.

this is why I am still thinking about Ike being a JUCO FR that will have 4 to play 3 at 6'11 245 lbs at the center spot.

Why would you a 5th transfer possibly want to transfer in to play reserve minutes behind a 4 year starter? He wouldn't. Also, a fifth year transfer doesn't help at all for year after. We will either have to rely on a freshman or find another transfer. Obviously, the better approach is to find a kid in high school that can backup Woodbury next and then have three years to play. A JUCO transfer also could work. A 5th year transfer makes little sense.

this is my thought just what good does a 5th year transfer do for the team, Fred did it because he did not have very many if any established players to deal with,

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

this is my thought just what good does a 5th year transfer do for the team, Fred did it because he did not have very many if any established players to deal with,
A 5th year big man would be great for the team. He would get starter like minutes especially when Woody is having an off game or in foul trouble.

Originally posted by HellaHawk:
Why would you a 5th transfer possibly want to transfer in to play reserve minutes behind a 4 year starter? He wouldn't. Also, a fifth year transfer doesn't help at all for year after. We will either have to rely on a freshman or find another transfer. Obviously, the better approach is to find a kid in high school that can backup Woodbury next and then have three years to play. A JUCO transfer also could work. A 5th year transfer makes little sense.
He wouldn't start you're right, but if the 5th year is worth something, he'll get at least 15-18 mins a game, which is pretty solid for a reserve. Woody has pretty consistently demonstrated he's not reliable to play more than 25 a game. 20 if he's lucky.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Originally posted by HellaHawk:
He wouldn't start you're right, but if the 5th year is worth something, he'll get at least 15-18 mins a game, which is pretty solid for a reserve. Woody has pretty consistently demonstrated he's not reliable to play more than 25 a game. 20 if he's lucky.
Fran does not owe Woodenbury a starter's position. If Iowa could land a true post player as a grad transfer like Jameel Warney whose Stoney Brook team lost any chance at this year's NCAA tournament, Jameel could start and Woodenbury could be the sub. Warney can give Iowa at least 10 points by himself in the paint and he averages double digit rebounds.

Fran needs to focus on a winning program, not coddling underperforming players. Set a fire under Woodenbury's seat.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400767020

So we have a coach that's not willing to do everything possible within the rules to put together the best possible roster. Great.

Fran is in the process of bringing in players that have size and 230+ as freshman. Pemsl is already at this weight and might be 250 before he gets here.
I believe that is what we're missing inside and the reason why we lose some of these games where we're favored.

The years to come the shooting will be there. Fran knows what to do just need 2 more years to get them here. Meantime we enjoy 20+ win seasons and NCAA tournament bids.

Next stop is Sweet 16's and beyond. I really think our program was lower than what most people realized. We're almost there folks.

Iowa Basketball is on the apex of a bell curve.
This post was edited on 3/14 8:11 PM by N.Legend

I agree with Nlegend that next year will be a down year from the past 2. Who he signs this spring (if anyone) with the 2 open schollys could change that some, but next year's recruiting class could turn things around again, if Fran can sign the right guys.

Originally posted by ynglbc:
Fran is in the process of bringing in players that have size and 230+ as freshman. Pemsl is already at this weight and might be 250 before he gets here.
I believe that is what we're missing inside and the reason why we lose some of these games where we're favored.

The years to come the shooting will be there. Fran knows what to do just need 2 more years to get them here. Meantime we enjoy 20+ win seasons and NCAA tournament bids.

Next stop is Sweet 16's and beyond. I really think our program was lower than what most people realized. We're almost there folks.
Pemsl is coming off a knee injury and looks like he is carrying too much weight right now. He needs to get leaner and quicker.

Imo next year we will have nearly half freshman, and that means growing pains, however I also think they may be the best athlete' s Iowa has had in a long long long time. Another thing to consider is that all of these players signed as of now are playing some of the best competition there is in high school nationwide. I am enjoying the roller coaster, whereas 6 years ago I fell asleep watching Iowa basketball. Sunday will be a fun day for me.

sorry but I don't think it is even close to the apex, next seasons team with 2 True SR starters + 1 RSSR, the 6th man is a SR, and Fran will have 4 starters returning, only a true negative Nellie could possibly predict this team going backward next season,

most of you wanted Fran to play 7-8 players per game, well guess what here are 6 of those 7-8

Gesell
Clemmons
Uthoff
Uhl
Jok
Woody
Fran needs is 1-2 players to step up their game as FR to become players 7 and 8. if IA is to take a step back I would guess it would be the 16-17 season, as that is when IA will have just 1 SR.

We will be fine next year, if not better. Very mature team playing next year. Although, I am hoping at least 2 players in this class step it up. Which I definitely see that happening. All of these guys are playing great competition (Fleming in practice, the rest in games), that will better prepare them for next year. More so than all of our current roster had in High school...

The year after might be a down year, but that I doubt. Regardless it is too early to tell that one. Fran could easily get another good big & a kicka$$ PG. The core of the team will be there for another 20+ win season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT