ADVERTISEMENT

Outsider perspective

hawkguy6

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2004
I was talking with a couple of friends this morning who aren't Iowa fans but follow them and it is interesting what they thought about Ferentz. They both felt the odds of Iowa being a better program with a new coach were much worse than what they will be with Ferentz. Both of them had several examples of programs like Colorado that were horrible for years with several different coaches before Colorado found a good one and he will likely get poached soon. It is just interesting to hear from fans from teams that aren't traditional powerhouses how they'd be happy to have a Ferentz type. I think we all got a little spoiled last year, myself included, and forget that it is always a razor margin for Iowa. I have some ideas as do many on this board about how we could maybe fix things so it always isn't a razor thin margin but I trust the coaches know how to fix a team a lot better than I do and I expect they are doing their best. Lastly, it is almost easier to be a fan when we aren't good or don't have high expectations because you just enjoy watching your favorite team give it their best and the outcome isn't as important as the act of watching the game with friends and family (or your dog, you know who you are). I am likely in the minority, but I enjoyed watching Iowa in the dreadful 90's probably more than I have the last 6 years. Back then, I was just happy if they showed up and would compete. Call me a loyalist, an idiot (and I won't argue that), or blind KF supporter but I still wouldn't want anyone else at the helm and still have a lot of faith that this year isn't lost despite some close calls and close losses. Iowa coaches young men the right way and I'd like to see some minor changes but I still think they get A LOT more right than they get wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News