ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Owen Freeman commits to Iowa***

In the Chicago area, anything south of I80 is considered down state. Thus not part of Chicagoland

I'm a little fuzzy because it's been 25+ years, but isn't BB down near Kankakee? IIRC, it is. That's not suburban Chicago. They may be in a suburban conference, but that's likely because of size and nearest schools of similar size.

FTR Kankakee is like 30 miles south of the southern suburbs (Matteson, Frankfort, Tinley Park, Homewood, etc).

Reactions: BirdistheWord
In the Chicago area, anything south of I80 is considered down state. Thus not part of Chicagoland
As someone who grew up in the south suburbs, this does not pass the smell test. Not sure if serious. But if so...

I would argue Route 30 is a better geographic barrier (near Matteson over to Chicago Heights) with possibly the southern end of Cook County as the maximum line for the south suburbs/Chicagoland area. That would be near Richton Park, South Chicago Heights.

If you map a 25 mile radius from downtown, it seems pretty reasonable for the towns within all directions. It also lands just about to Route 30 heading south. One could argue to increase to 30 miles.

Reactions: SSG T
As someone who grew up in the south suburbs, this does not pass the smell test. Not sure if serious. But if so...

I would argue Route 30 is a better geographic barrier (near Matteson over to Chicago Heights) with possibly the southern end of Cook County as the maximum line for the south suburbs/Chicagoland area. That would be near Richton Park, South Chicago Heights.

If you map a 25 mile radius from downtown, it seems pretty reasonable for the towns within all directions. It also lands just about to Route 30 heading south. One could argue to increase to 30 miles.

We lived in Joliet, but I spent plenty of time over around Tinley Park and that area. Also went to Kankakee a few times. Always thought of TP, Matteson, Frankfort, etc as suburbs. Never considered Kankakee one.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
@perryhawk , here's more proof that Fran is "the closer!"

The first school to offer was the Illini, a program Freeman grew up watching and rooting for.

And he chose IOWA?????

Damn right, he did.

Side notes:

* In October 2019, Freeman was a lanky 6-foot-6 freshman. He's listed at 6'10" now.

* His father, Zach (6'9"), is a 2002 Olivet Nazarene University graduate and was the school’s all-time leading scorer until last season. He was an NAIA 1st Team All American. His mother, Christina also excelled on the floor for the Tigers, giving Freeman two parents who were All-American hoopers, but it’s his dad’s post game that Freeman is keeping alive while also expanding his game.

* His dad is sorta like a Frank Garza. “My dad taught me; it’s his legacy I’m trying to carry on, learning the post moves ... and I’m trying to work on my whole skill set and improve in as many ways as possible.”

Sources:

Question about the 2022 class. We got both a PG and a wing for the future, but seemed to strike out on a few really good big men. Freeman (our second Big O), along with Mulvey and the first Big O, make those recruiting losses hurt less. Are we still in the running for the forwards who were showing interest in Iowa, or have they moved on? We are currently loaded with talented, versatile forwards, but adding a third promising piece to the 2022 class would make it really good.

Reactions: perryhawk
Honestly, the competition is so weak in the tape that I can't really make much of an evaluation of Freeman. He is a willing passer, can dribble some with either hand, and can dunk. Obviously, a bunch of really good coaches have seen a lot more to have his offer list.

Reactions: EIHCGuy
Good pickup, could be great, have to wait and see. Like the other schools that were looking at him, that's for sure.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT