ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick in portal

I realize you hate Fran, but at some point, we have to use our heads. Pat was averaging 27.5 minutes per game to begin the year, Fran had a talk with him and made his Senior some come off the bench halfway through the year and lowered his minutes to 20 per game for the betterment of the team.
Don’t hate him. He just hasn’t been putting the program first for a long time now. Same with Kirk. That can all change now with both programs.

I realize you hate Fran, but at some point, we have to use our heads. Pat was averaging 27.5 minutes per game to begin the year, Fran had a talk with him and made his Senior some come off the bench halfway through the year and lowered his minutes to 20 per game for the betterment of the team.
Was he coming off the bench before he took his leave of absence? I honestly don’t remember.

Neil Fegebank and Mark Gannon were Iowa prep phenom who never could really live up to the expectations of fans. They were ok, like Patrick but left fans wanting.

Nick Collison and Raef went to KU and flourished. Better players.
Street and settles and deano stayed home and were solid.

Just never know.

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
This whole situation with Patrick is odd. So the head coach's son whom he coveted enough to start many games over 4 years says adios to the team and his Dad. If that isn't bad enough...what happens if he goes to another power 5 program and looks and plays much better? Doesn't this reflect much worse on Dad than anything the fanbase could portray? Um me thinks so. I would think something more is brewing. Granted it didn't take high end coaching skills to see Patrick did not deserve the minutes he received. This alone hurt the program in several ways. How could potential recruits not see this? Plus current team chemistry suffers.

Reactions: jaffarosenfels
I always thought that Patrick was a decent player who will hopefully end up being picked by someone. He is the all-time leading scorer out of IC West High, one of the stellar programs in the state. If he weren't Fran's son, he probably would not have been bashed all year on this Board. I like that he was our leading scorer in his last game as a Hawkeye. Best wishes, Pat!
"If he weren't Fran's son, he probably would not have been bashed all year on this Board."

You are very wrong, it was about his number of minutes given his play and lack of hustle (defense and rebounding). And the fact that Dad has played his sons ahead of better players for quite some time.

"If he weren't Fran's son, he probably would not have been bashed all year on this Board."

You are very wrong, it was about his number of minutes given his play and lack of hustle (defense and rebounding). And the fact that Dad has played his sons ahead of better players for quite some time.
If he weren't Fran's son he likely would not have been here AND he would likely have better all around fundamentals.

Reactions: intrepodor
Neil Fegebank and Mark Gannon were Iowa prep phenom who never could really live up to the expectations of fans. They were ok, like Patrick but left fans wanting.

Just never know.

Looking back, it is easy to see why players like Gannon and other golden Oldies like Todd Berkanpas and Troy skinner didn't thrive at college level. They all played 1A basketball in Iowa and dominated but didn't have the size/athleticism advantage when they got to college level. I think Gannon averaged around 11ppg for Iowa....he was okay at times, but the Hawkeyes back in Lute's later days got known as Chokeyes becaue they kept losing close game. Gannon was a 90% foul shooter at Regina...when He got to Iowa he was more like 65-70%...It always torqued me that the one thing that should translate from High School to college didn't with Gannon.

Gannon did miss some clutch FTs over his career. He also got a foul call on a Gopher win at Iowa because with Gophers in desperation mode, he got to close to Gopher half court shot and touched the finger of the shooter. Big10 and ACC ruled the Basketball world in those days...winning in B1G10 meant something...no so true since early 2000's.

I think the quality/skill level of baskeball players coming out of Iowa is much better than Lute's days. The problem is most of the native Iowa guys are below the rim/slow twtch guys and you can't win in NCAA tourney with 4 or 5 of those type of guys starting despite MarkJ thinking otherwise. Or maybe you can if you have a 7'4 giant like Purdue though it didn't work last year.

really? the freshman could have played, correct?
Yes, but the goal was to win in the NIT, not to just prepare for next year. Also next year we have additional players coming in and Koch is very much in the mold of Patrick. The minutes played in the NIT have no relationship to the minutes for players next year.

He's much better than a D3 player, so yes, bashing
Is he really that much better overall than some D3 players?
As a 5th year senior playing 23 minutes a game he averaged 9 points, 3 rebounds, just over an assist a game, just under 1 turnover a game, .3 blocks a game, .4 steals a game and terrible defense. I’d be curious to know how many points, and rebounds he gave up in a game.

Any 6-9 player could probably average 3 rebounds and less than half a block and steal per game just from dumb luck.

His offense wasn’t great either, many times he’d dribble around for 10 seconds and throw up some wild shot and if by chance he did pass the ball, it was a pass to someone that was bailing him out and not in a position to score or make an easy assist.

I have nothing against the kid but he is far from a D1 power 5 athlete. He might be able to do well at a lower level D1 program but I wouldn’t bank on it.

Looking back, it is easy to see why players like Gannon and other golden Oldies like Todd Berkanpas and Troy skinner didn't thrive at college level. They all played 1A basketball in Iowa and dominated but didn't have the size/athleticism advantage when they got to college level. I think Gannon averaged around 11ppg for Iowa....he was okay at times, but the Hawkeyes back in Lute's later days got known as Chokeyes becaue they kept losing close game. Gannon was a 90% foul shooter at Regina...when He got to Iowa he was more like 65-70%...It always torqued me that the one thing that should translate from High School to college didn't with Gannon.

Gannon did miss some clutch FTs over his career. He also got a foul call on a Gopher win at Iowa because with Gophers in desperation mode, he got to close to Gopher half court shot and touched the finger of the shooter. Big10 and ACC ruled the Basketball world in those days...winning in B1G10 meant something...no so true since early 2000's.

I think the quality/skill level of baskeball players coming out of Iowa is much better than Lute's days. The problem is most of the native Iowa guys are below the rim/slow twtch guys and you can't win in NCAA tourney with 4 or 5 of those type of guys starting despite MarkJ thinking otherwise. Or maybe you can if you have a 7'4 giant like Purdue though it didn't work last year.
I remember Lute on his TV show while going over the last game's film reacting to a MG miss. Kind of dismayed he said, "He makes all of those in practice ..."

Coupled with the HS free throw percentage you mentioned, I dunno, seems like he just couldn't quite parlay his serious talent under the bright (FH flourecent) lights. Big-time recruit too, Knight and many others wanted him.

I remember the infamous foul call on MG too. Seems to me it was one of those cheap, stupid, anticipation whistles where MG went straight up and his hand came close but never touched the Goofer's hand. That was very hurtful and bitter loss for Lute.

Finally, on a POSITIVE note, I remember MG's Regina team being so good it was speculated widely they would win an all-schools State Tournament. Go Hickory ... errr, Regina!

I will be very disappointed, if Patrick is picked up by another D1 program and he suddenly starts playing with some physicality, willingly battling on the boards and standing his ground as a defender near the basket. Iowa fans have seen none of that in the past four years.

Reactions: DewHawk

It is very hard to adjust to the speed/quickness and above the rim game in small school BB.. One son of mine got to play against Jaquan Lyle, Bates-Diopp, Malcolm Hill, Nick Norton and some others in high school. That was entertaining and eye opening. Some players such as Andy Kaufman at IL and others can make the transition but most can't. Bobby Hansen piled up a bunch of points against Charitan if I remember right.

A big challenge for small school stars is learning to flow into the game rather than being the game.

I remember Lute on his TV show while going over the last game's film reacting to a MG miss. Kind of dismayed he said, "He makes all of those in practice ..."

Coupled with the HS free throw percentage you mentioned, I dunno, seems like he just couldn't quite parlay his serious talent under the bright (FH flourecent) lights. Big-time recruit too, Knight and many others wanted him.

I remember the infamous foul call on MG too. Seems to me it was one of those cheap, stupid, anticipation whistles where MG went straight up and his hand came close but never touched the Goofer's hand. That was very hurtful and bitter loss for Lute.

Finally, on a POSITIVE note, I remember MG's Regina team being so good it was speculated widely they would win an all-schools State Tournament. Go Hickory ... errr, Regina!
Regina was pretty darn good. Maybe could have beat my 2a state champ team but not sure they would have beat Bobby Hansen’s Dowling team.

Regina was pretty darn good. Maybe could have beat my 2a state champ team but not sure they would have beat Bobby Hansen’s Dowling team.
That's right! As Hawkeye freshmen they would have been HS seniors together. Seem to recall Regina had another really good player, maybe even D1 level? Just for fun ... what made your little 😉 2A team so special? Was it Paullina??? Prolly not, but that's the only small school State Champs I remember from that era. I'm sure that was a lot of fun.

I will be very disappointed, if Patrick is picked up by another D1 program and he suddenly starts playing with some physicality, willingly battling on the boards and standing his ground as a defender near the basket. Iowa fans have seen none of that in the past four years.
I think it would make it even easier for Beth to fire Fran if that were to happen.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
That's right! As Hawkeye freshmen they would have been HS seniors together. Seem to recall Regina had another really good player, maybe even D1 level? Just for fun ... what made your little 😉 2A team so special? Was it Paullina??? Prolly not, but that's the only small school State Champs I remember from that era. I'm sure that was a lot of fun.
Randy Norton played at Regina but was gone from that team. His younger brother Terry was a good player and on that team. Unlike a lot of 1a teams they had some depth. A lot of crying about the catholic school sweep that year Regina, Regis, and Dowling and the unfair “recruiting”. Can’t speak for Dowling but simply wasn’t the case for Regina and Regis. What made Regis special? Depth 8 players that averaged 8-12 points per game, good athletes. (also won 3a.football championship that year). Gannon was a handful but they sure were not going to blow Regis out of the gym. I really was not all that impressed with Dowling other than Bobby and one of their big men. Regina and Regis definitely had more better players on the court. But Bobby was such a tough matchup for anyone.

Last edited:

Just never know.
Collison is the best high school player the state ever produced. Raef is up there but you can’t teach that size. They would have excelled anywhere.

Randy Norton played at Regina but was gone from that team. His younger brother Terry was a good player and on that team. Unlike a lot of 1a teams they had some depth. A lot of crying about the catholic school sweep that year Regina, Regis, and Dowling and the unfair “recruiting”. Can’t speak for Dowling but simply wasn’t the case for Regina and Regis. What made Regis special? Depth 8 players that averaged 8-12 points per game, good athletes. (also won 3a.football championship that year). Gannon was a handful but they sure were not going to blow Regis out of the gym. I really was not all that impressed with Dowling other than Bobby and one of their big men. Regina and Regis definitely had more better players on the court. But Bobby was such a tough matchup for anyone.
Oh no! I think I'm talking to the "enemy," lol (something about a game at Kinnick ... grumble, grumble ... lol).

Hey, in looking up MG I ran across this:

At 6'7" Gannon stood out on the court ... the Regals captured three state championships ... during '79, Gannon's senior season, Regina went undefeated beating 3A state qualifiers (Dubuque Senior and CR Kennedy) during the regular season, as well as 2A state champs (CR Regis 😯 ).

Kinda cool that ICR intentionally challenged themselves that way. Doesn't seem, at least, like the average 1A team would tackle that CR/Dubuque gauntlet.

And yes, Bobby was the man. Gannon I think was the bigger recruit but it was Bobby who helped in the FF run (Gannon may have been injured though) and obviously Bobby went on to greater success.

Link: https://www.notesoniowa.com/post/iowa-history-daily-january-13-mark-gannon-commits-to-iowa

Reactions: NI hawk
Collison is the best high school player the state ever produced. Raef is up there but you can’t teach that size. They would have excelled anywhere.
Sorry but I don’t agree. Even if we just keep it between those two. I played against Raef and only watched NC. NC was a great player don’t get me wrong, but Raef was on another level IMO.

Oh no! I think I'm talking to the "enemy," lol (something about a game at Kinnick ... grumble, grumble ... lol).

Hey, in looking up MG I ran across this:

At 6'7" Gannon stood out on the court ... the Regals captured three state championships ... during '79, Gannon's senior season, Regina went undefeated beating 3A state qualifiers (Dubuque Senior and CR Kennedy) during the regular season, as well as 2A state champs (CR Regis 😯 ).

Kinda cool that ICR intentionally challenged themselves that way. Doesn't seem, at least, like the average 1A team would tackle that CR/Dubuque gauntlet.

And yes, Bobby was the man. Gannon I think was the bigger recruit but it was Bobby who helped in the FF run (Gannon may have been injured though) and obviously Bobby went on to greater success.

Link: https://www.notesoniowa.com/post/iowa-history-daily-january-13-mark-gannon-commits-to-iowa
Marion huh? Had good friends on that Marion team. Funny the article says Regina beat Regis in regular season. My memory may not be the best in my old age but I can pretty confidently say we didn’t play Regina. Had played against those guys in Catholic grade school since 7th grade but never played HS varsity against them as I recall. We lost quite a few games early season to teams we beat later as many of the players also were on the state championship FB team and didn’t practice until FB season was over.

Sorry but I don’t agree. Even if we just keep it between those two. I played against Raef and only watched NC. NC was a great player don’t get me wrong, but Raef was on another level IMO.
I played with raef in aau. He was skinny and could be man handled in hs. I could move him all over. Now keep in mind when we played after his freshman year at Kansas,,,holy shit what a difference. Routinely snatching boards at the height of the box. It was amazing to see, especially standing under him.
He was not the same dude in hs as collison. Collison was as polished in the post as they come in hs. He was tall, could jump, block shots, and rebound.
I’ve seen or played with most of the guys listed. As a senior in hs: collison was the best.

This whole situation with Patrick is odd. So the head coach's son whom he coveted enough to start many games over 4 years says adios to the team and his Dad. . . . I would think something more is brewing. Granted it didn't take high end coaching skills to see Patrick did not deserve the minutes he received. This alone hurt the program in several ways. How could potential recruits not see this? Plus current team chemistry suffers.

Not sure what Patrick is saying means….but, and good coach in America would not have given PM the minutes he received. Not trashing him but no way, no how anywhere else in P5. I wish him the best in life.
It means anything kept hidden and secret will be heard in the light. Not quite sure what he’s talking about, but I would guess he’s saying the truth will come out . What THAT is, I have no idea.

Reactions: Packer54
It means anything kept hidden and secret will be heard in the light. Not quite sure what he’s talking about, but I would guess he’s saying the truth will come out . What THAT is, I have no idea.

I think that quote is from back when CJF transferred after saying he was staying.

Don’t hate him. He just hasn’t been putting the program first for a long time now. Same with Kirk. That can all change now with both programs.
100! Still despite Fran's shortcomings, he did have a talk with his son this year about what was best for the team, and sat his Senior son more. That had to be a sad conversation. On to better things.

Dont worry, that wont happen because that is not who he is as a player. Toughness, rebounding and defense. Nope you have nothing to worry about. I saw The Athletic had a list of the top 76 players in the portal and he was not on the list. At least I did not see him. TP was 15 I believe..

Reactions: Hawksfor3
The bolded is the rub with PMAC.

On teams not coached by his Dad.....he wouldn't get enough PT to score 9 a game. Being a no show on D and the boards would have had him on the bench and not averaging 23 minutes a game.
Any player 6'9" that played 712 minutes and 31 games but grabbed only 5 offensive rebounds all season is going to be criticized.

Any player 6'9" that played 712 minutes and 31 games but grabbed only 5 offensive rebounds all season is going to be criticized.
The thing about Patricks rebounding #'s is he had the benefit of lining up on the baseline for opponents free throws. I'd venture to say half his rebounds were off missed free throws.

Perkins outrebounded him by 2 per game never getting that benefit. Josh dix was .6 behind him never getting that benefit.

With Patricks size and length his performance on the boards was truly pathetic.

Reactions: 504hawk and NI hawk
The thing about Patricks rebounding #'s is he had the benefit of lining up on the baseline for opponents free throws. I'd venture to say half his rebounds were off missed free throws.

Perkins outrebounded him by 2 per game never getting that benefit. Josh dix was .6 behind him never getting that benefit.

With Patricks size and length his performance on the boards was truly pathetic.
Interesting post, I was going to say that if he got 5 O rebounds that 3 of them probably bounced right to him. His lack of effort sometimes (far too often IMO) was extremely frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT