ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery Tidbit

ChrisVarick

HR Heisman
Dec 30, 2012
My son spent the last few days at the Iowa Basketball camp and he said that Patrick McCaffery is taller than Devin Marble. How tall could this kid get? With his handles, passing, and inside/out game this could be a very special talent.

How tall could this kid get?

I believe Patrick is 6ft5 now at age 15. Where he ends up is already pre-determined, he probably has room for another 2-3 inches. Could be another Uhl clone. If I was his coach (or father) I would have him working to improve his strength - that is something within his control to improve (also shooting and ball handling) and has more value IMO whether he plays college at 6ft6 or 6ft8.

I think he is closer to 6'7". He has really shot up there recently. Dev was a good 6'6".

Yeah reports are that he is around 6'7. Maybe he'll be 6'9 or so by the time he gets to college ala Uthoff.

I believe Patrick is 6ft5 now at age 15. Where he ends up is already pre-determined, he probably has room for another 2-3 inches. Could be another Uhl clone. If I was his coach (or father) I would have him working to improve his strength - that is something within his control to improve (also shooting and ball handling) and has more value IMO whether he plays college at 6ft6 or 6ft8.

My guess is, and it's just a guess, his father has a pretty good idea of what he should work on.

He's played my son's team four times since last fall. Patrick is noticeably taller than in Nov. Last time they played the guy keeping stats (I was running the board) said he was at 6'7 as of his last Dr appointment.

Whoever said he needed to add strength is right, but you also have to consider, he's a 6'7 15 year old, it would be normal to not be filled out completely yet.

He has good handles, great outside shot, plays good positional defense, athletic with the possibility of adding to that with some strength and most importantly, understands the game. He is almost always exactly where he should be on both ends of the court, sees the court extremely well, sets up teammates very well and is aggressive, but not overly so. He's going to be a great player even if he isn't a plus athlete.

Reactions: nu2u
He's played my son's team four times since last fall. Patrick is noticeably taller than in Nov. Last time they played the guy keeping stats (I was running the board) said he was at 6'7 as of his last Dr appointment.

Whoever said he needed to add strength is right, but you also have to consider, he's a 6'7 15 year old, it would be normal to not be filled out completely yet.

He has good handles, great outside shot, plays good positional defense, athletic with the possibility of adding to that with some strength and most importantly, understands the game. He is almost always exactly where he should be on both ends of the court, sees the court extremely well, sets up teammates very well and is aggressive, but not overly so. He's going to be a great player even if he isn't a plus athlete.

15 now? is he on the older side for his grade?

I get them confused. Patrick is 6'7 and 15. did he already "commit" to Iowa?

what about the other son? How old/tall etc?

He's a couple months older than my son who turns 15 this weekend. My son will be a FR this fall too.

There are a couple of classmates older than my son.

I get them confused. Patrick is 6'7 and 15. did he already "commit" to Iowa?

what about the other son? How old/tall etc?

The word I got from one of the other Barnstormers parents was that his mom won't let him commit until his FR year starts.

His brother is Connor, he's going to be a JR and is 6'5ish. I've seen the two together a couple of times and Patrick is taller, and obviously so.

Reactions: icu81222
Fran has finally dug us out of the Lick/Alford dungeon and now the white magic era is about to explode. It is always great to be a Hawkeye but right now is an especially sweet time with wrestling and basketball. Just need Bielema to come home and complete the trifecta.

The word I got from one of the other Barnstormers parents was that his mom won't let him commit until his FR year starts.

His brother is Connor, he's going to be a JR and is 6'5ish. I've seen the two together a couple of times and Patrick is taller, and obviously so.
So who is considered the better prospect? I've heard lots of good reviews for Patrick.

My son was there too, when we dropped him off I saw Pat he is a good 6'6 or 6'7. He was shooting 3's for a exhibition for some shot tracking system and was throwing up some bricks though... My son had a great time, Woody and Uthoff sitting down with him and eating dinner with him was his highlight!

Patrick turned 14 the day after Iowa lost to Tenessee (3/19) in 2014, so his birthday is 3/20/2000. He is a little old for his class, kind of the opposite of what Marble was for his. Regardless, the kid is growing like a weed. With 2 more behind him, I am sure that the McCafferys buy in bulk when they grocery shop!

Patrick turned 14 the day after Iowa lost to Tenessee (3/19) in 2014, so his birthday is 3/20/2000. He is a little old for his class, kind of the opposite of what Marble was for his. Regardless, the kid is growing like a weed. With 2 more behind him, I am sure that the McCafferys buy in bulk when they grocery shop!
They have 4 kids? Didn't know that.

You are comparing him to Uhl? Gosh....I would hope Patrick is better than Uhl.

They have 4 kids? Didn't know that.
Yes - Connor, Patrick, and a younger boy and girl. The little girl is the youngest. They all have come to the games at one time or another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT