ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Dual

BIG10MANIAC

HR All-American
Apr 19, 2007
Just looking at the latest Intermat rankings as of 2-6-24... On paper only, we are only favored to win 1 match (@ 165 pounds) but Mesenbrink looks really really good. I still think Caliendo wins it...
I think Tom brings the best lineup and lets Gabe Arnold and Ben Kueter wrestle. If the Hawks wrestle well, I think Gabe wins. Not sure if Kueter can take down Kerk right now.... Ayala and Woods can both win if they wrestle like they know they can.... Still hard to see a path to win this but I hope our best effort comes out...

#7 Ayala vs. #2 Davis
#20 Schreiver vs #6 Nagao
#2 Woods vs. #1 Bartlett
#12 Rathjen vs. #10 Kasak
#5 Franek vs. #1 Haines
#6 Caliendo vs. #7 Mesenbrink
#7 Kennedy vs. #1 Starocci
UR Arnold vs. #6 Truax
#11 Glazier vs. #1 Brooks
UR Kueter vs. #1 Kerkvliet

Just looking at the latest Intermat rankings as of 2-6-24... On paper only, we are only favored to win 1 match (@ 165 pounds) but Mesenbrink looks really really good. I still think Caliendo wins it...
I think Tom brings the best lineup and lets Gabe Arnold and Ben Kueter wrestle. If the Hawks wrestle well, I think Gabe wins. Not sure if Kueter can take down Kerk right now.... Ayala and Woods can both win if they wrestle like they know they can.... Still hard to see a path to win this but I hope our best effort comes out...

#7 Ayala vs. #2 Davis
#2 Woods vs. #1 Bartlett
#5 Franek vs. #1 Haines
UR Arnold vs. #6 Truax
I believe we can win 125, 141, 149, 157 and 165.
174 and/or 184 could be extremely entertaining depending who wrestles there.
I want to see Glazier push Brooks to his limit. Brooks is just so damn tough.
I feel Kerk is just too damn big for Ben at this point in his career.

Brooks has been making the other top guys look not so good, my hope is Glazier just lets it all hang out. I think if Kennedy can weather the storm he may be able to keep it fairly close, not sure if Gabe goes but if he does I would rather see him go at 184. I want to see BK go but kirk has probably 40lbs on him, maybe he can keep kirk from getting to his legs early then who knows.
Agree with the rest

Those are some Hawk-colored glasses for sure. I like your style.

Brooks is probably going to major Glazier and Ben is definitely too small for Kerk. He should not wrestle Friday.

#7 Ayala vs. #2 Davis
#2 Woods vs. #1 Bartlett
#5 Franek vs. #1 Haines
UR Arnold vs. #6 Truax
You can’t possibly think keuter can hang with kerkvliet

Brooks is probably going to major Glazier and Ben is definitely too small for Kerk. He should not wrestle Friday.
What has Keuter been weighing in at? Kerk has been dropping weight since December and weighed in at 244.4 on teh 2nd.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
What has Keuter been weighing in at? Kerk has been dropping weight since December and weighed in at 244.4 on teh 2nd.
Then he's the biggest 244.5 I've ever seen. He's a monster and has been rag dolling everyone.

Nope, no chance. Would be his first loss, likely by bonus or FALL!

I'd be happy if we can win 2 of those weights and that's what I'm picking for Friday; Drake and Mikey and I jad to stretch to get 2 wins.

Glazier will wrestle hard and still give up bonus, possibly teched. Brooks is just that good.

I have heard the question asked before, but how does one access, or is it possible to access, what weight an individual wrestler weighed in for a competition?

#7 Ayala vs. #2 Davis
#2 Woods vs. #1 Bartlett
#5 Franek vs. #1 Haines
UR Arnold vs. #6 Truax
Here’s to hoping about 6 Lions get Carvered..

My predictions-
Ayala Dec 3-0
Teske Dec 6-0 (Nagao looked rough last time out)
Woods Dec 9-0 (he's going to come out ready)
VV Dec 12-0
Haines Dec 12-3 Franek can hang with anyone, just not scoring enough
Cali Dec 15-3
Starfish Dec 15-6
Truax major 15-10
Brooks Dec 15-13
Kerk major 15-17

Prior to last weekend I wouldn't even have felt this was an overly optimistic view but seems more so now.

Can’t believe I am saying this but Iowa could win as many as 5 matches but I feel more like 1 or 2 or more realistic and honestly would not be shocked if we didn’t win any. If Gabe goes at 184 I have no doubt he would get us a win but I will be shocked if he is going to wrestle. Possible wins at 125,141,149.157,165 and 184(with Gabe) but only one I am confident with right now would be Gabe.

My predictions-
Ayala Dec 3-0
Teske Dec 6-0 (Nagao looked rough last time out)
Woods Dec 9-0 (he's going to come out ready)
VV Dec 12-0
Haines Dec 12-3 Franek can hang with anyone, just not scoring enough
Cali Dec 15-3
Starfish Dec 15-6
Truax major 15-10
Brooks Dec 15-13
Kerk major 15-17

Prior to last weekend I wouldn't even have felt this was an overly optimistic view but seems more so now.
If it starts at 25 and the hawks are even near your scenario at intermission the trend would change in break glass speed.

Kirk is too big and polished for everyone at this point. He may be the next great Team USA heavyweight. He's starting to look the part.

No team matches up well against a stacked team like psu. I see a path for some to win, but I also don’t see much of an opportunity at a few weights. Real gut check night for a lot of individuals. I hope nothing more than to be shocked and see a ton of guys carvered.

Then he's the biggest 244.5 I've ever seen. He's a monster and has been rag dolling everyone.

He’s really improved his skills from neutral and I’d like to see him do more catch and release.

I have heard the question asked before, but how does one access, or is it possible to access, what weight an individual wrestler weighed in for a competition?

I try to listen to the PSU radio/audio stream if I can. Jeff Byers, Ironside’s favorite colleague, usually gives the weights of both 285#. Greg weighed 254.4 on December 3rd against Lehigh, and 244.4 on Friday against Ohio State. How a heavyweight looses weight over the holidays is beyond me. I think he could carry 260 without losing any quickness.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
If Arnold was to wrestle would anyone be surprised if Starocci moved up to 184 to wrestle Arnold. Just a thought.
If it starts at 125 and Penn State is up 4-2 or better and Gabe only weighs in at 184, then they could have Starocci bump up to get him if he really wants to. Barraclough only lost to Griffith 2-1 and was the better wrestler for most of that match, so giving it a go against PK isn’t just giving away the weight.

I doubt it happens, though, unless Starocci really wants to go after him. Cael typically doesn’t do that sort of thing.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU Mike
I would give him little to no chance of winning, but I actually think his athleticism and good strength could keep it closer than most guess. Admittedly, that might involve some stalling on his part, but my guess is he can keep it closer than Hill. I hope we see Kueter here, don't see much to lose trying.

I would give him little to no chance of winning, but I actually think his athleticism and good strength could keep it closer than most guess. Admittedly, that might involve some stalling on his part, but my guess is he can keep it closer than Hill. I hope we see Kueter here, don't see much to lose trying.
Wait. You want to see Kueter run around and stall to keep the match close when it’s most likely not even going to matter? Wouldn’t you rather see him cut it loose and see what happens if they’re down 15 points anyway?

Stalling? An Iowa wrestler stalling.? Say it ain’t so Joe.

Wait. You want to see Kueter run around and stall to keep the match close when it’s most likely not even going to matter? Wouldn’t you rather see him cut it loose and see what happens if they’re down 15 points anyway?
Stalling? An Iowa wrestler stalling.? Say it ain’t so Joe.
Yea, I knew that could have been worded better (if you actually cared about the intent of my post). My point was I think his athleticism and strength may be able to neutralize....somewhat.... Kerk's athleticism and strength. But in so doing, BK (if he even wrestles) is going to have to wait for a very good shot opportunity (and hence risk stall calls) because he certainly won't want to get caught under Kerk with his size and experience advantage. This is not a match where I think 'letting 'er fly' will pay off. JMO.

Yea, I knew that could have been worded better (if you actually cared about the intent of my post). My point was I think his athleticism and strength may be able to neutralize....somewhat.... Kerk's athleticism and strength. But in so doing, BK (if he even wrestles) is going to have to wait for a very good shot opportunity (and hence risk stall calls) because he certainly won't want to get caught under Kerk with his size and experience advantage. This is not a match where I think 'letting 'er fly' will pay off. JMO.
I am certain BK got plenty of reps against bigger guys than he’s ever faced in football practice. I understand in football they aren’t trying to take you down, however there are brief explosive encounters of hand control, shedding and leverage. What I am saying is, he’s had a feel of bigger stronger guys.
If he does go, you certainly don’t want to go under Kerk. He has a better chance of scoring in scrambles if Kerk doesn’t get off a clean shot. There is an outside chance of a freak throw.

Not sure why Hawk colored glasses??
Every weight class I listed has a very realistic shot of winning their match.

Reactions: el dub
On paper PSU should dominate this dual. Paper doesn't mean much, nor do rankings. I remember a time when I expected the lower ranked Hawkeye to win more than they lost. Iowa doesn't seem to be in that place currently, but this would be a great dual to change that. I hate that the Hawks don't seem to pull out very many upsets anymore, and they are even fewer and far between against Carl. Winning a few of the slight underdog matches would go a long ways on the mental front for Iowa even if we lose the dual.

I took my boss (at that time) to it, and he said that it was the most exciting sports event he'd ever been to, and by a large margin.

I might have to say the Iowa-ISU meet where Simpson pinned Voelker might edge it out for me.
The full 2020 Iowa v PSU meet is on youtube. If anyone watches could you tell me why we didn't get 5 points for Spencer's Teck, was there a team point deduction?
I took my boss (at that time) to it, and he said that it was the most exciting sports event he'd ever been to, and by a large margin.

I might have to say the Iowa-ISU meet where Simpson pinned Voelker might edge it out for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT