ADVERTISEMENT

Police sneak into car with a sleeping 17 year old. Proceed to surprise jump them and shot and killed them *Content Warning*

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

The FBI and federal prosecutors have opened a civil rights investigation into the deadly police shooting of 17-year-old Dalaneo Martin by an officer in Washington, DC, last month after the teen was found sleeping in an allegedly stolen vehicle.

The announcement came after US Park Police and Washington Metropolitan Police released body-worn camera videos Tuesday showing the fatal encounter on March 18.

"The loss of a life is always tragic but is especially heartbreaking when it involves a child," the US Attorney's Office in Washington said in a statement, calling the bodycam video "extremely upsetting."

"In coordination with the FBI Washington Field Office, the United States Attorney's Office has opened a civil rights investigation into the circumstances leading to Mr. Martin's death. That investigation – which we are committed to conducting diligently and thoroughly – is ongoing," the statement said.

The release of the videos comes amid nationwide scrutiny of police use of force, sparked by the release of bodycam footage in several cases where an interaction with police resulted in death or injury, including the fatal February shooting of Alonzo Bagleyin Shreveport, Louisiana, and the beating death of Tyre Nichols by officers in Memphis, Tennessee.

Officers from both the Park Police and the Metropolitan Police were responding to a report of a stolen vehicle just before 9 a.m. when the shooting of Martin happened, they said.

An MPD officer arrived first and "observed the occupant of the vehicle was asleep and the ignition was punched. The officer determined the vehicle was stolen and then called for additional units," Park Police said in a statement.

Several officers from both agencies arrived and began discussing how to approach the situation, including the possibility of breaking the window and pulling the driver out.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/22/us/hylton-brown-crash-police-guilty/index.html

"Once you break it, he's gonna wake up, start it and put it in drive to go. We don't want nobody to get hurt," one officer is heard telling another officer in Park Police bodycam footage.

As the officers continue to strategize, an MPD officer can be heard in the bodycam footage saying, "So, here's the plan. He's knocked out. The back window is just a plastic. I'm going to try to cut that out quietly, unlock the door. If he doesn't get startled, doesn't wake up then we're going to try to get in there, grab him before he puts that car in gear."

The officer continues, "If he does take off, just let him go."

Officers from both agencies eventually approach the vehicle and try to pull the driver out as the footage shows a Park Police officer jump into the backseat and yell, "Police, don't move. Don't move. Don't move."

The vehicle then suddenly drives off as the Park Police officer is still in the backseat, the footage shows. The officer yells, "Stop!" The vehicle keeps going and the officer yells, "Stop man, just let me out. Let me go!"

Then the officer then yells, "Stop. Stop or I'll shoot!"

"The driver did not comply" and the officer "discharged his firearm," Park Police said.

Seconds later, the vehicle crashes into a house and the officer jumps out, the footage shows.

Officers pulled the driver out of the vehicle, called for medical assistance and began administering aid, including doing chest compressions.

US Park Police said the driver, identified as Martin, died at the scene and a gun was recovered inside the vehicle. No one inside the house was injured.

The officer who shot Martin and a second Park Police officer were transported to an area hospital for treatment, the Park Police said.

"The investigation into this incident is being handled by the Metropolitan Police Department and reviewed by the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia. An administrative review of this incident is being conducted by the Department of the Interior," Park Police said.

Martin's mother wants officers fired, charged​

None of the officers involved have been identified by either police agency and their faces are blurred in the bodycam videos.

An attorney for Martin's family, Jade Mathis, told The Washington Post the family reviewed the videos shortly before they were released to the public.

"Their initial reaction was tears and then it turned to anger," Mathis told the Post. "But it was also relief because they have more answers than they had before."

The family wants the Park Police officer who shot Martin to be identified, prosecuted and terminated, Mathis told the Post.

CNN has reached out to Mathis for comment.

Park Police would not confirm the status of the officer who shot Martin. "Pursuant to applicable law and department policy, we do not publicly disclose information about personnel actions concerning our employees," a Park Police spokesperson told CNN.

The head of the Park Police union, Kenneth Spencer, defended the officer who shot Martin, telling the Post, "There is a lawful reason for him to be in the car, the use of force was justified and the union stands behind the actions the officers took."

The Metropolitan Police told CNN in a statement, "The preliminary investigation by our Internal Affairs Division has been sent to the (US Attorney's Office) for their independent review."

CNN has reached out to the Department of the Interior for comment.

Looks like a botched operation by the cops, and the cop freaked out.

Also: Almost everybody that gets killed by the cops is an idiot doing something really stupid. The cops **** up, but these people are **** ups that put themselves in idiotic situations that exponentially increase the likelihood they'll get killed by cops.

Maybe there should be a public messaging campaign on the matter.

Thread title reads like drunk person at 12:45 am tried to write it.

Yeah not a great look for the cops. I saw the video and seems silly they had to shoot the young man as there was 100 of other ways they could have apprehended him

Also: Almost everybody that gets killed by the cops is an idiot doing something really stupid. The cops **** up, but these people are **** ups that put themselves in idiotic situations that exponentially increase the likelihood they'll get killed by cops.

When the cops act like the bad guys maybe we shouldn't blame people for assuming they are the bad guys.

Seriously when does a cop see a sleeping person on the side of the road and get into the backseat of his car?

Pretty sure they are suppose to knock on the window or something.

This is a tragedy, and unfortunate, but this is a lot different that some of these situations. It does not seem like an instance of cops being overly aggressive or trigger happy, just...kind of dumb?

I mean, there are at least two points at which the cops indicated they were willing to let him go rather than hurt him, it's kind of tough to put this in the same category as other incidents...it appears they were trying to act reasonably. I don't think you can accuse the cops of being out to kill this person.

That said...there should be some consequence for not coming up with a better solution to disable the vehicle. Not many of us have law enforcement experience, but aren't having that much difficulty coming up with other options. Why not lay out the tire sticks in front of the vehicle to blow the tires if he ran? Why not box a police car in front and back of the vehicle?

To me, this feels suspension/lose a rank worthy...not sure it's end your career worthy, and definitely not charge-worthy.

And also...at some point we have to acknowledge that stealing a car and defying cops who are trying to respond appropriately...one possible non-zero outcome is serious bodily injury or death. This is not being killed for playing with a toy that looked a little like a gun, or stealing a candy bar on a dare. This is a somewhat serious crime that by its very nature puts the perpetrator in some danger of bodily harm or death.

He did not deserve to die for what he did, in the least. But this is in the category of having six drinks and driving home. You don't deserve to die for that. But if you forget to put your lights on, run a stop sign, and get t-boned...good luck suing the town for it being an unsafe intersection. Playing stupid games and all that...

It would be MUCH more productive in the fight against police brutality and malfeasance if we were willing to make common sense distinctions between outright criminal police aggression, unfortunate but not criminal events, and justified force. The constant need to insert the latter two categories into the discussion of the first category kills any chance of progress.

There was mass public support against police brutality after George Floyd, across almost all spectrums. The movement largely dissipated to just activists on the extreme when the media and activist wing very strongly tried to place the death of a black teenager shot in the act of trying to stab someone to death in the same category.

When the cops act like the bad guys maybe we shouldn't blame people for assuming they are the bad guys.

Seriously when does a cop see a sleeping person on the side of the road and get into the backseat of his car?

When the car is stolen and running, and they're trying to recover the car and the perpetrator safely without a chase or an incident.

I'm definitely not saying it was the best idea...they should have taken other precautions to prevent him running.

But it wasn't malicious with an abject regard for human life, as many of these cases are.

When the car is stolen and running, and they're trying to recover the car and the perpetrator safely without a chase or an incident.

I'm definitely not saying it was the best idea...they should have taken other precautions to prevent him running.

But it wasn't malicious with an abject regard for human life, as many of these cases are.

Video is 30 minutes long and he doesn't wake up til after the 20 minute mark. They had 20 minutes to figure this one out. Block him in with a squad car!

Reactions: Pinehawk
How hard would it have been to pull a car in front of the stolen vehicle before they tried to pull the occupant from it, thus, blocking him in? There were a half a dozen or more cops there for at least 30 minutes and no one thought of that?

Known stolen vehicle not just a sleeping person, but yes seems like you would just make sure the car couldn't go anywhere

Sneaking into the car via the backseat seems like the worst possible option. Getting into the backseat puts the officer in an inferior position to secure the suspect, and there are so many unknowns before even getting into the backseat.

Pull one car to the front bumper and another to the driver, position one on the passenger side door, and blast your siren to wake the guy up, and then you have the advantage.

Poor planning and fear led to that young man being shot.

How's this for a tagline...

"Make no mistake, it could get you killed"

Reactions: Colonoscopy
How hard would it have been to pull a car in front of the stolen vehicle before they tried to pull the occupant from it, thus, blocking him in? There were a half a dozen or more cops there for at least 30 minutes and no one thought of that?
As a general cop apologist, I'm not naive to the fact that they aren't the best and brightest.

Everyone that I went to school with who went into law enforcement had mediocre grades, poor attitudes and just general hillbilly vibes.

Most everyone I've met thru my 50 plus years has the same story

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

I read it was a stollen vehicle and after the fact they recovered a gun from the vehicle. Like I said, I think they screwed up their strategy here... But they certainly had reason to think that this was a volatile situation.

It seems impossible that police can be this dumb. Why did he need to be shot over a stolen car?
It didn't need to end this way. Imo... dumb strategy by the cops led to a cop stuck in the back of a fleeing vehicle. Which led to the unfortunate situation we saw. It all went south with a strategy that allowed a cop to be stuck in a fleeing vehicle. That couldn't have been the preferable solution by the police. Hence dumb strategizing.

Yeah not a great look for the cops. I saw the video and seems silly they had to shoot the young man as there was 100 of other ways they could have apprehended him
Yeah, blast a few into the dash or something to let him know you mean business. Or taze? Billy club? He did ask to be let out.

Sneaking into the car via the backseat seems like the worst possible option. Getting into the backseat puts the officer in an inferior position to secure the suspect, and there are so many unknowns before even getting into the backseat.

Pull one car to the front bumper and another to the driver, position one on the passenger side door, and blast your siren to wake the guy up, and then you have the advantage.

Poor planning and fear led to that young man being shot.
Don’t they have devices you could put on a tire to keep a car from moving?

canadian-police-chase-snow.gif

Among others, yes. It would be a misstep to actually list the mistakes that could end badly. The list is way too long and inconsistent.
Big list, but... percentage and probability. Egregiously stupid stuff like I mentioned would be more likely to end in violence than a bunch of the more innocuous items, I'm betting. Show the public the raw numbers and the innocuous stuff -- the good citizen that complies -- is much less commonly killed.

You don't want to cultivate an inaccurate risk assessment by the general public on police violence. I think we've borderline done this because of the media works anymore.

I read it was a stollen vehicle and after the fact they recovered a gun from the vehicle. Like I said, I think they screwed up their strategy here... But they certainly had reason to think that this was a volatile situation.
Sure, but the video shows 20 min of planning…and this was the best they could come up with? Don’t get the keys out, don’t block the vehicle, don’t disable the vehicle, just put an officer in the back and hope for the best? My 12yo could put together a better plan than this.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Can we all agree that little Dalaneo Martin would probably still be around to steal more cars had he not resisted arrest and drove off with a police officer hanging onto the back of the vehicle for dear life?
LOL he was in the backseat dipshit.

LOL he was in the backseat dipshit.
there was more than one cop. Poor plan, yes. Another darwin winner that won't cause me to lose a second of sleep, yes.
When you live your life outside the laws of society and first reactions are to fight and flee, I'll have no empathy.
Maybe some of you should spend some time with a cop on patrol in a big city or spend some time in a classroom and see the disregard for rule and authority and you might look at things differently. Even in your small rural iowa towns, the number of kids that can't be told what to do is growing and is scary.

Sure, but the video shows 20 min of planning…and this was the best they could come up with? Don’t get the keys out, don’t block the vehicle, don’t disable the vehicle, just put an officer in the back and hope for the best? My 12yo could put together a better plan than this.
The article said the ignition was popped, no keys to take out.

there was more than one cop. Poor plan, yes. Another darwin winner that won't cause me to lose a second of sleep, yes.
When you live your life outside the laws of society and first reactions are to fight and flee, I'll have no empathy.
Maybe some of you should spend some time with a cop on patrol in a big city or spend some time in a classroom and see the disregard for rule and authority and you might look at things differently. Even in your small rural iowa towns, the number of kids that can't be told what to do is growing and is scary.

Better kill 'em.

Better kill 'em.
I don't have to sit and wonder if they have a gun (to be honest I have wondered with about 4-5 kids if I have to worry if they are going to come to school with a gun) or be the one someone calls when someone with a gun won't comply.

If I wonder to myself, is this kid is going to be the one to shoot the school up, imagine being a cop who spends a much higher percentage of their time dealing with them and people that have far less self control that a school shooter.

I don't have to sit and wonder if they have a gun (to be honest I have wondered with about 4-5 kids if I have to worry if they are going to come to school with a gun) or be the one someone calls when someone with a gun won't comply.

If I wonder to myself, is this kid is going to be the one to shoot the school up, imagine being a cop who spends a much higher percentage of their time dealing with them and people that have far less self control that a school shooter.
LOL wut?

Reactions: Jerome Silberman

That's all sorts of f@cked up. I'm not judging you or your perspective, but I do find it to be bleak and very confusing.

That's all sorts of f@cked up. I'm not judging you or your perspective, but I do find it to be bleak and very confusing.
As a teacher you often times wonder when you discipline a kid nowadays what their reaction will be. If you teach long enough you will see your former students become great people and leaders but you will also see some become some of societies worst. I have former students in jail for murder and armed robbery, what would they be like today? My point was: as a teacher if you have concerns for a very small number of kids, imagine being a cop and having those kids be 90% of your interactions.
I would imagine most cops have to assume that every interaction they have with a person, that person may have a gun. While not true we have the luxury of not having to worry about it but the person you call to deal with those people does.
I find these police issues as much an indictment of our society and certain groups priorities as I do police

I would have wrapped the car in duct tape, towed it to the pound and let it sit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT