ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: High Octane Offense vs Shut Down Defense

Dec 29, 2014
If you could have one or the other which would you have? In this hypothetical situation you can't have both
3dgrin.r191677.gif
, in other words what kind of coach would you like to see replace Captain Kirk? Defensive guy, or Offensive guy?

In the age of hurry up/spread offenses, even really good defenses are not going to shut teams down consistently. I still went with defense, though. In the Big Ten, I still think a dominant defense and an average offense can win you a championship.

Teams like UNI can now play a competitive game against Iowa. The spread offense is all about playing in space and finding a weakness in the defense.

Originally posted by hoks2415:
In the age of hurry up/spread offenses, even really good defenses are not going to shut teams down consistently. I still went with defense, though. In the Big Ten, I still think a dominant defense and an average offense can win you a championship.

Teams like UNI can now play a competitive game against Iowa. The spread offense is all about playing in space and finding a weakness in the defense.
I think they found it that game with his help.

574873_1.jpg

Great. Boredom. Let's figure how we can keep offenses from scoring at all. Let's make it really exciting.

A great defense will often let even a weak offense score enough points to win games. Who doesn't love a good smash mouth defense?

A dominate defense and an average offense won't win a championship. A dominate defense and a good offense wins championships and vice versa.

False choice. Shutdown defenses are a myth in today's cfb. You need to score a lot and limit the opponent in defense to win games.

Who had a shutdown defense in the top 20 last season? There really is no such thing anymore. You had better be able to score and score quickly these days.

High octane O's will only take you so far. Ask OSU in '13 or Oregon every year. You must have a strong D.

Be careful now, let's be sure we don't start thinking in terms of actually recruiting some hi rev offense players. No, god forbid. Let's continue to wallow in vanillaville and congragulate ourselves on being able to keep scores close.

This is my opinion, but I cannot begin to understand how any fan of any game sport prefers low scoring.

Originally posted by JAYBAN:
If you could have one or the other which would you have? In this hypothetical situation you can't have both
3dgrin.r191677.gif
, in other words what kind of coach would you like to see replace Captain Kirk? Defensive guy, or Offensive guy?
Defense and special teams are the major factors in controlling field position which is normally the deciding factor in games. But you still need a good offense and good FG kicker to take advantage of the shorter field you have. It is best that all 3 units are good.

3dgrin.r191677.gif
Defense and special teams are the major factors in controlling field position which is normally the deciding factor in games. But you still need a good offense and good FG kicker to take advantage of the shorter field you have. It is best that all 3 units are good.

Shootout basketball was the big thing when I was growing up. If you didn't score in the 90 to 100 range you had no chance of winning the game. This ruined the game for me and ruined the game for this country. We found out we couldn't win international games playing the run and jam game our young people had learned to play. We then brought in the NBA players to make up for our lack of basketball ability. The more I watch the college game today and the rules they adopt every year it's clear to me the NCAA wants to be like the NBA. I haven't been able to enjoy an NBA game for some time and can only hope we don't screw this college game.

Originally posted by Bill_D:
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Obvioiusly, I think that was the point. He was looking for what people are looking for, what's more important...Oregon like offense, or Alabama type defense. I would go with offense honestly, we don't face good enough offenses in the B1G.

O$U shredded that mighty Alabama defense. so the comment about there not being any good offenses in the BT got shredded by that same offense that shredded Alabama, Gordon tore up the BT running the ball in fact these RB's in the BT ended up
Gordon #1 nationally
Coleman #2 nationally
Elliott #3 nationally
Cobb #11 nationally
Abduhlah #12 nationally
Howard # 14 nationally from Indiana

and IA faced 5 of those the only one they did not face was Elliott of O$U, that was a daunting task 3 new LB's faced last fall. and that does not include the passing QB's IA faced there were a lot of high powered offenses in the BT, but to few stout defenses.

give me top defense every time, and even after facing those players IA's defense ended up 17th nationally.
Coleman and Howard were both from Indiana,

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

O$U shredded that mighty Alabama defense. so the comment about there not being any good offenses in the BT got shredded by that same offense that shredded Alabama, Gordon tore up the BT running the ball in fact these RB's in the BT ended up
Gordon #1 nationally
Coleman #2 nationally
Elliott #3 nationally
Cobb #11 nationally
Abduhlah #12 nationally

and IA faced 5 of those the only one they did not face was Elliott of O$U, that was a daunting task 3 new LB's faced last fall. and that does not include the passing QB's IA faced there were a lot of high powered offenses in the BT, but to few stout defenses.

give me top defense every time, and even after facing those players IA's defense ended up 17th nationally.
Are you serious? Iowa faced zero elite qbs let alone any really good ones last season. Yes think any fan can agree Iowa faced some of the top RBs in the nation but it was the exact opposite on the QB end. Who was the best qb Iowa even faced? Iowa lucked out and one could argue missed out on 4 of the top QBs in conf with Cook from MSU, Barrett OSU, Hackenburg PSU and Nova Rutgers.

Plus Howard didn't play at Indiana last season he played at UAB last year in Conf USA not the big 10. Just because he is transferring doesn't mean he put up those #s against the Big 10 last season.

in the rushing stats it lists him as a member of Indiana and since I don't follow Indiana how was I to know that. as for BT QB's everybody raved a the Illinois QB Luck till IA made him look silly, what some of the BT QB's lacked in throwing most made it up with their ability to RUN and THROW, but what ever it takes to belittle what IA's defense did by trashing the competition.

Armstrong for Nebraska finished in 50th place

these were the top 5 in the BT conference
1st 28th overall Cook for MSU 3214 yards 13 games
2nd 40th Hackenberg PSU 2997 yards 13 games
3rd 43rd Nova Rutgers 2887 yards 13 games
4th 50th Armstrong Nebraska 2695 yards 13 games
5th Rudock 69th OMFG quick kick him off the team as he was the worst QB in the BT 2436 yards 12 games at most

give him the game against Purdue and he finishes in the top 50

JR also did this in his 1st season
2013 65th 2383 yards in 13 seasons
2014 69th 2436 yards in maybe at best 12 games, as he missed the 2nd half against Pitt and maybe at most got 4 series against Tennessee.

yeah I can se why you poster just HATE JR and want to run him off. you have to hate him as that is the only way to explain all this venom being spewed at JR.

in the rushing stats it lists him as a member of Indiana and since I don't follow Indiana how was I to know that. as for BT QB's everybody raved a the Illinois QB Luck till IA made him look silly, what some of the BT QB's lacked in throwing most made it up with their ability to RUN and THROW, but what ever it takes to belittle what IA's defense did by trashing the competition.

Armstrong for Nebraska finished in 50th place

these were the top 5 in the BT conference
1st 28th overall Cook for MSU 3214 yards 13 games
2nd 40th Hackenberg PSU 2997 yards 13 games
3rd 43rd Nova Rutgers 2887 yards 13 games
4th 50th Armstrong Nebraska 2695 yards 13 games
5th Rudock 69th OMFG quick kick him off the team as he was the worst QB in the BT 2436 yards 12 games at most

give him the game against Purdue and he finishes in the top 50

JR also did this in his 1st season
2013 65th 2383 yards in 13 seasons
2014 69th 2436 yards in maybe at best 12 games, as he missed the 2nd half against Pitt and maybe at most got 4 series against Tennessee.

yeah I can se why you poster just HATE JR and want to run him off. you have to hate him as that is the only way to explain all this venom being spewed at JR.
First enough with the JR comments on hating him. No where in my post was Rudock's name mentioned or even alluded to. You really have an unhealthy obsession with JR.

Again my point is Iowa did not face any top level passing QBs. Because reread your previous which said "was a daunting task 3 new LB's faced last fall. and that does not include the passing QB's IA faced." You list 2 names. Armstrong was the best one and you just said he was 50th in yards thrown. Second one was Illinois' QB whose name is Lunt not Luck and if you watched the game how many times did they mention it was his first game back from a leg injury he suffered early in the season and had missed 4 of last 5 big 10 games. Heck you even validate my point that Iowa didn't face top 3 passing qbs in the conference and that didn't even include off player of the year Barrett from OSU. Not belittling Iowa's D just stating facts and not over exaggerating their competition as you've have done with the passing teams they played. Again agreed faced top RBs but QBs.

Also with Howard you try to hammer your point even more stating he's 14th in nation and include him with other Big 10 RBs. If the guy is 14th in nation and plays for Indiana who has #2 already and you've never heard of him and didn't play against Iowa earlier in the seas that should be an indicator of something being up. Go to espn, yahoo or any other site for Indiana football and clear as day when list top 2 rushers for the team. Or just ignorance...

This post was edited on 3/6 11:15 AM by iahawkeyes17

Gordon #1 nationally
Coleman #2 nationally
Elliott #3 nationally
Cobb #11 nationally
Abduhlah #12 nationally

Alabama TRADITIONAL defense, Clemson type defense, Stanford, we were top 10 defense in 2013 and we still finished 8-5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT