ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Tax the Rich?

Should our gov't redistribute wealth by heavy taxes on the rich?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I stumbled across an article that included this Gallop Poll question:

gallup-poll.png

So what would your answer be? Obviously the "heavy" part of "heavy taxes on the rich" is problematic. How heavy? You'll just have to wing it. I would suggest thinking of is as noticeably more than current rates, but how much more is up to you. Even a lefty like me doesn't support outrageous top rates. Laffer has suggested a top rate in the 48-49% range is probably the tipping point on the famous Laffer curve. So probably no higher than that. Although I suspect we could easily go higher on the top 0.1%.

The poll results sort of surprise me until I remembered that for most of that time this was the policy.

Just a comment: I would've expected the lines to be correlated to poverty rates. Interestingly, they are not.
From google search-- According to the Census Bureau, the poverty rate declined from 22.2 percent in 1960 to 12.6 percent in 2005. Also it has stayed at about 12% for 40+ years.
Is it fair to conclude that redistribution sentiments are divorced from poverty rates?

Just a comment: I would've expected the lines to be correlated to poverty rates. Interestingly, they are not.
From google search-- According to the Census Bureau, the poverty rate declined from 22.2 percent in 1960 to 12.6 percent in 2005. Also it has stayed at about 12% for 40+ years.
Is it fair to conclude that redistribution sentiments are divorced from poverty rates?
Really? So the war on poverty did work? Hmmm....

Look up top income tax rates by year. I'd suggest that there is a correlation that when the top rate was 90%, people felt the rich were paying enough.

Absolutely. Our Gini index is an embarrassment. We have among the highest wealth gaps in the world. Higher taxes on the rich will do nothing to hurt the economy, many studies actually find that higher taxes on the rich help the economy, so start jacking up their rates. Our deficits will fall. We will be able to afford much needed things like education and rebuilding our infrastructure. And our country will be far healthier because of it.

This is a no-brainer.

Even though the Republicans are terrible on most social issues this is the single reason I'm voting republican next election.

I'm tired of being taxed to support the lazy and the illegal. That and I want government downsized.
Didn't know that you're in the top 1%. Congratulations. And if you aren't, you've really been led down an economic rabbit hole by the right. Because taxing the rich more would be a benefit to you.

Interesting. Would that mean "relative" poverty is the driver even in the absence of real poverty? Or might there be other reasons?

Even those of us who live comfortably enough may not be happy with the way much wealthier folks and corporations can use their money to call the shots in our culture. Moreover, we may be sick and tired of subsidizing their power with tax breaks. And finally, we may be upset with the way the US runs up the national debt so that the wealthy only have to pay low tax rates.

Personally, I strongly support the idea that we should pay our bills from the revenues we raise in all but emergency situations. We've had a couple of legit emergency years in the last few decades. But what's the excuse for the borrowing in all the other years?

Didn't know that you're in the top 1%. Congratulations. And if you aren't, you've really been led down an economic rabbit hole by the right. Because taxing the rich more would be a benefit to you.
New poll should be, "are you a 1%er?"

Absolutely. Our Gini index is an embarrassment. We have among the highest wealth gaps in the world. Higher taxes on the rich will do nothing to hurt the economy, many studies actually find that higher taxes on the rich help the economy, so start jacking up their rates. Our deficits will fall. We will be able to afford much needed things like education and rebuilding our infrastructure. And our country will be far healthier because of it.

This is a no-brainer.
That you think our deficits will fall with a tax increase made me laugh. Give a politician a dollar and they will find a way to spend two, hence why we have as big of deficit as we do. Heck you don't even have to give them a dollar they are happy to borrow. You don't get more candy from a baby by giving it more candy.

I would support higher taxes if the money generated would go only to fixing social security, Medicare, and deficit reduction.

There are other ways to fix problems than increasing income tax rates. For example we could eliminate the cap on how much of your earnings are taxed for social security (currently $118,500) and we could go to a means based benefits model.

New poll should be, "are you a 1%er?"
Perhaps. But I think we all know what WWJD means when he says "rich." I would personally prefer that we not try to turn this thread into a definitional argument. And it still doesn't change the fact that if you're in the middle class, taxing the rich more would be a benefit for you.

That you think our deficits will fall with a tax increase made me laugh. Give a politician a dollar and they will find a way to spend two, hence why we have as big of deficit as we do. Heck you don't even have to give them a dollar they are happy to borrow. You don't get more candy from a baby by giving it more candy.

I would support higher taxes if the money generated would go only to fixing social security, Medicare, and deficit reduction.

There are other ways to fix problems than increasing income tax rates. For example we could eliminate the cap on how much of your earnings are taxed for social security (currently $118,500) and we could go to a means based benefits model.
Absolutely our deficits will fall. They fell after Obama raised the rate on the rich. And they fell when Clinton raised the rate. And the opposite occurred as well. After Bush cut taxes on the rich, our deficits increased. And after Reagan cut taxes on the rich, our deficits grew.

It's nice that you're basing your economic decisions on bumper stickers, but you're clearly wrong in real life. There is ample evidence of deficits falling after rate increases and vice versa.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you that raising the payroll tax rate would be a great benefit. I would be more than satisfied if we could only get this rate to $250,000

Reactions: cigaretteman
Only if The money is given directly to everybody else. No crap programs for cops teachers anything.
The gap between the super rich and everybody else is too high but for some reason the government just can't take it and then give it. They have to spend it.

Reactions: 22*43*51
This would be an increase in taxes on the rich

Only if The money is given directly to everybody else. No crap programs for cops teachers anything.
The gap between the super rich and everybody else is too high but for some reason the government just can't take it and then give it. They have to spend it.
Spending it is sort of the idea. It makes little sense to take the rich's money and then just sit on it. Ideally you want to spend it on things that will help the middle class like education, healthcare, infrastructure, and so forth.

I stumbled across an article that included this Gallop Poll question:

gallup-poll.png

So what would your answer be? Obviously the "heavy" part of "heavy taxes on the rich" is problematic. How heavy? You'll just have to wing it. I would suggest thinking of is as noticeably more than current rates, but how much more is up to you. Even a lefty like me doesn't support outrageous top rates. Laffer has suggested a top rate in the 48-49% range is probably the tipping point on the famous Laffer curve. So probably no higher than that. Although I suspect we could easily go higher on the top 0.1%.

Taxes are already in that range. Following the Obama tax increase, I pay 44% federal marginal rate. Missouri state income tax is 6%, and we have a 1% earning tax here in St. Louis. So I already over 50% marginal rate. That doesn't count real and personal property taxes, etc.

I know you disagree, but this really creates a disincentive to work. For example, my wife would like to return to work full time (our boys are just about grown) but it really makes no sense, since
she would pay more in taxes than she would keep of her earnings.

Reactions: unIowa and HawkinMN
Taxes are already in that range. Following the Obama tax increase, I pay 44% federal marginal rate. Missouri state income tax is 6%, and we have a 1% earning tax here in St. Louis. So I already over 50% marginal rate. That doesn't count real and personal property taxes, etc.

I know you disagree, but this really creates a disincentive to work. For example, my wife would like to return to work full time (our boys are just about grown) but it really makes no sense, since

She SHOULD go to work anyway. If you make good money then you two are not getting a bad deal. What about the poor wife at home with the babies that wants to work? It depends on how you look at it and your deal is just one way it can be.

Spending it is sort of the idea. It makes little sense to take the rich's money and then just sit on it. Ideally you want to spend it on things that will help the middle class like education, healthcare, infrastructure, and so forth.

It should be given directly to those that need it.

These numbers are shocking. Not the taxes, but the amount of women willing to remain married to coff. I would have assumed it was much lower than one.

Absolutely our deficits will fall. They fell after Obama raised the rate on the rich. And they fell when Clinton raised the rate. And the opposite occurred as well. After Bush cut taxes on the rich, our deficits increased. And after Reagan cut taxes on the rich, our deficits grew.

It's nice that you're basing your economic decisions on bumper stickers, but you're clearly wrong in real life. There is ample evidence of deficits falling after rate increases and vice versa.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you that raising the payroll tax rate would be a great benefit. I would be more than satisfied if we could only get this rate to $250,000
You are right the deficits will go down, but you have to admit Obama had a lot bigger number to reduce.

The Bush years were not full of deficit increase as you can see from 2004 thru 2007.

cp-federal-spending-by-the-numbers-2014-01-1-federal-budget_510.ashx

She SHOULD go to work anyway. If you make good money then you two are not getting a bad deal. What about the poor wife at home with the babies that wants to work? It depends on how you look at it and your deal is just one way it can be.

Isn't it a little early in the day to be piss-ass drunk?

We are not getting a "deal" you half-wit. What we make, we earn. Not like the dead-end government teat-sucking, steal money from the taxpayer job you claim to have.

"What about the poor wife at home with babies that wants to work"? Uh, I'm guessing you put a lot of thought into that stupid question, since it has nothing to do with my post, or this thread.

Finally, I agree with your last point: It does depend on how you look at it. If you look at it through the lens of a loser, handout taking, public sector slacker idiot, then you are prone to make really stupid post, like the one you just made.

Seriously, doucher, go back to the shallow end and make bubbles.

These numbers are shocking. Not the taxes, but the amount of women willing to remain married to coff. I would have assumed it was much lower than one.

Oh, you would be surprised how many women find me totally engaging and fun to be with.

This is a no-brainer.

Your last statement is correct if you are referring to yourself. These are completely the wrong ideas to grow the economy. Take Econ 101 and enlighten yourself.

He was a jerk to me like 10 times in a row so I am doing that back. What the heck should I do? Besides why would he talk about these other women if he's married? It was a real question.

No, I have curb-stomped you repeatedly, and you have made yourself look like a pathetic, insecure, needy, obsessive, creepy stalker.

Let me give you some free advice: It is not wise to engage in a battle of wits when you are unarmed.

This would be an increase in taxes on the rich

Do you really think somebody making $118,500 is rich? I remember when Obama started all of this, it was $250,000. I also remember many people saying that the definition of "rich" would fall rapidly as time went on and the revenue grab grew.

Well, sadly, for most of us, the definition of rich is "somebody who makes more than me".

Reactions: icu81222
Well, sadly, for most of us, the definition of rich is "somebody who makes more than me".

That is the argument has been spun to "wealth gap" instead of poverty.

"Yo MTV Cribs" mentality emerged and made people realize that "my s#it isn't as cool as your s#it."

So now they want to close "the gap" by taking some of "your s#it."

Reactions: icu81222 and INXS83
It depends on how the increase is used.

For instance, I don't think either party or any person should be able to decide how to distribute it. Corruption will surely occur. We will never get our money's worth. It will fail...miserably, and make things worse.

I'm all for using it for "things" where there are checks and balances where we're not enriching friends of any particular group of people. Meaning, try like a mf'er to cut out as absolutely much waste as possible. No paybacks for contributors by dispersing the proceeds to the friends/contributors of those in power. No checks to people just because they're poor unless we get something in return.

It has to be infrastructure, goods, and services that serve everybody - from the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich. Nobody gets a goddam check just by being alive and here. Nobody gets rich. We're not hiring some damn construction company to build highways and bridges where they just use the labor force they already employ. You're hiring off the street, pal. The unemployed. Only.

That is the poor's benefit...a job - and along with it the sense of self-worth in that they get exactly what they need to become productive citizens. It trains them for their future, it gets them off their ass, it gives people a purpose in life, and keeps them "off the streets" to resolve crime and other issues in many ways.

Their ultimate benefit is an honest paycheck for honest work. By design, it would resolve a lot of issues this country has. Less unemployment, which means getting people off the welfare rolls and unemployment rolls. More healthcare via businesses, which means Obamacare is needed less. With cash in their pocket, it means spending goes up by consumers. It gets people in inner cities by design out of the very shitholes they live in cause they have to go where the work is. Related to that, we're cleaning up the shitholes! Our cities are death traps for the poor...fix them up. OK, you're able-bodied and unemployed, you live in a sewer. Fine...you're building highways and bridges 500 miles away. While you're gone, people from the country hired are coming to the cities to tear down the sewer and rebuild it where the area has a new purpose to benefit the entire nation for a hundred years.

This is very much like the mobilization during WWII in getting our money's worth. Reach that wartime equilibrium where we are maximizing our "capacity" in the spending. It has to reach the very people it is by design trying to help the most, but in a fashion where they realize real-life benefits when it's done.

Oh, and one last thing. The spigot stops when the needs of the country lessen. This is by design not a never-ending proposition. Sooner or later, the gravy train ends. The end result is that once it starts tapering off (you can't rebuild every highway in America over and over...sooner or later, the need will subside) the greatest recipients are much better prepared to contribute to society after this is done to where they have a fighting chance "once the war's over".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT