ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Which new player makes the biggest impact next year?

tWarnerHawk

HR All-American
Nov 18, 2004
I'd say Jones (assuming he gets here) because of the need of size, plus he will be a junior correct? If not Jones than maybe Ellingson for experience and his shooting. Of the incoming freshman, Wagner has size, Hutton and Fleming for defense, Moss and Williams most likely to redshirt. Thoughts?

1. I think Jones, then Moss having the biggest impact. Possibly Wagner, but with Jones in the fold, I'd think he'd largely take that that role.
2. I'll be surprised if anyone redshirts, but i'd think the best chance would be Hutton.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Other than Jones and Ellingson, I'd redshirt them all because I'm not sure any will have a substantial impact right away and all could use a year to grow and adjust.

Having said that, Jones will likely see the most PT with his combo of experience, size, 3pt shooting, and rebounding can't be matched by the others.

Of the incoming freshmen, I think Wagner will see the most PT because he has the body type to let him hang in some B1G games. Moss will be right behind because I think he's most likely to become our next Marble. And I think Hutton surprises people because if he can play D like his reputation suggests, he could be useful. I think Williams is looking at a redshirt. Can't decide where Ellingson and Fleming will fit in although I think alot of people are writing off Ellingson too quickly.

Was going to go Moss, but chose to take Flemming.

No basis for that other than the fact that I like his attitude.

A lot of freshman come in a bit overwhelmed and tentative, I think his attitude potentially minimizes that.

Has a bit of Kingsbury in him maybe.

Cannot assume Jones is a Hawk....cuz it's never over until it's over.

If so, he will probably have the biggest impact. Otherwise we really need Wagner or maybe Hutton to be ready to play heavy minutes.

Originally posted by tWarnerHawk:
I'd say Jones (assuming he gets here) because of the need of size, plus he will be a junior correct? If not Jones than maybe Ellingson for experience and his shooting. Of the incoming freshman, Wagner has size, Hutton and Fleming for defense, Moss and Williams most likely to redshirt. Thoughts?
I go back and forth, because of the number of newcomers, and the athleticism of many. I picked Jones, but I also think Ellingson, Fleming and Moss will add the most offensively behind Jones. I look for Hutton and Wagner to make their mark with defense and rebounding.

Moss may have the highest ceiling, and I'll be really surprised if he redshirts. IMO Williams (strength) and Hutton (offensive development) have the most to gain by redshirting.

Originally posted by seer_hawk:
I go back and forth, because of the number of newcomers, and the athleticism of many. I picked Jones, but I also think Ellingson, Fleming and Moss will add the most offensively behind Jones. I look for Hutton and Wagner to make their mark with defense and rebounding.

Moss may have the highest ceiling, and I'll be really surprised if he redshirts. IMO Williams (strength) and Hutton (offensive development) have the most to gain by redshirting.
It's got to be Jones as the incoming player with the biggest impact. Which would make it quite an insult if we didn't get Jones after an offer. Where else would he have a chance to make as much of an impact on a power conference team in the wake of White's and Olaseni's departures? If he didn't sign, I can only think after visiting that he or Fran didn't think he was good enough for the team once he was in IC in person.

I agree about the incoming wing guys. Think about the lack of shooting options we had the last couple of years. Then consider not only Uthoff and Jok, but Ellingson, Moss, Fleming... Shooting could actually become a strength because some of these guys are going to pan out.

Williams does look like a RS candidate, not only because of MG and Sapp in front of him, but because he was the last guy signed and so realized the numbers situation he was signing up for. He must know that his chance will come in 2016 and beyond.

I was told by someone inside the program that Hutton is an absolute BEAST and it would be very hard to keep him off the court next year. I am anxious to find out if that is true.

I wish I knew how to copy and paste pics from twitter. Hutton posted something like two months ago showing a series of still images where he threw it down on a kid then stood over him (and got a T...oops). Love the attitude though.

Hutton may well emerge as the player who challenges Uhl next season. I can see Uhl and Ellingson both playing significant minutes as the first players coming off the bench.

Originally posted by hooper56:
I was told by someone inside the program that Hutton is an absolute BEAST and it would be very hard to keep him off the court next year. I am anxious to find out if that is true.
Both Hutton and Wagner play 'bigger' than their heights would suggest. Both are very athletic, very strong, and play good defense. Both should contribute this next year.

I don't know if Hutton will start or not but throw Jok into the mix and we should have a pretty solid first eight. Who starts and how much of each them plays will likely depend on match-ups and how Fran chooses to mix and match.

I just hope the incoming class has patience, because with so many returning starters and contributors, minutes may be hard to come by at first.

Originally posted by Ronman:
I just hope the incoming class has patience, because with so many returning starters and contributors, minutes may be hard to come by at first.
That has to be hard for these kids. I think it's the really good coaches who can make it work. As much as I can't stand Calipari he is obviously able to get his recruits to understand the benefit of 'patience' with regards to playing time. With several high school all-Americans on a team not everyone is going to play 20+ minutes each and every games.

Originally posted by mstp1992:

That has to be hard for these kids. I think it's the really good coaches who can make it work. As much as I can't stand Calipari he is obviously able to get his recruits to understand the benefit of 'patience' with regards to playing time. With several high school all-Americans on a team not everyone is going to play 20+ minutes each and every games.
True but even if you're a minor contributor on the Kentucky teams, you're probably already a pro prospect and are not going to be in college long. Counter that with Bo Ryan who gets kids to buy into redshirts and then staying for four more years after that. I think that speaks to something impressive.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
True but even if you're a minor contributor on the Kentucky teams, you're probably already a pro prospect and are not going to be in college long. Counter that with Bo Ryan who gets kids to buy into redshirts and then staying for four more years after that. I think that speaks to something impressive.
This is what makes me feel cheated as a fan about the teams like KY: there's so much talent on those teams that players don't play very much in college and so aren't as prepared to be as good a pro as they could be playing for teams where they could carry teams themselves. So, as a fan, you get cheated both ways: both on the college and pro levels.

Originally posted by CanadaHawk:

This is what makes me feel cheated as a fan about the teams like KY: there's so much talent on those teams that players don't play very much in college and so aren't as prepared to be as good a pro as they could be playing for teams where they could carry teams themselves. So, as a fan, you get cheated both ways: both on the college and pro levels.
You've just made a very good argument why it makes so much sense for the NBA to raise the legal age for entry which would solve so many of these problems. Without probably even realizing it they did the stupidest thing they could have raising to 19. Everybody would win with a higher age limit although it would meet some resistance from the players.

With MG, AC, Jok, JU, Woody, & Uhl we got six returning players who have played a lot of minutes. It seems hard to go anymore than 9-10 deep so 3-4 of the newcomers may play. I believe Ellingson already redshirted and Jones only has 2 years to play 2 seasons so those 2 got to be ready to go. I know its a lot to expect but why offer Jones unless he can play right away? Jones is running away with the poll so maybe that part is obvious. Jones will hopefully gets some of the minutes left by White and Ellingson gets the mins left by JO's. JO's 3pt% was 29% last yr so hopefully Ellingson can do better than that even if his all around game isn't there yet. I love the comments about Hutton and Wagner and think we will need inside help more than we need contributions from Moss, Fleming or Williams. So unless one of those guys is are a big upgrade over the returning six players it seems like we should prolly redshirt them.

It seems like the expectations are pretty high on Moss. Not saying he's not worth the high expectations, but wasn't he the recruit who got pulled from his HS team's starting line up this season? Where are these expectations coming from?

It seems like the expectations are pretty high on Moss. Not saying he's not worth the high expectations, but wasn't he the recruit who got pulled from his HS team's starting line up this season? Where are these expectations coming from?
I could be wrong but I think you're thinking of Fleming (given the talent on his squad, that part isn't surprising). I think AAU evaluations are bit better to see how a player will translate to the next level. I think people, including myself, have seen that when Moss is given more freedom in a wide open game (which happens way more in AAU than in more structured high school ball), they see a very athletic 6'6 who glides pretty effortlessly on his dunks and has pretty solid shooting, decent handles, and decent vision. He'll need work on his D like every freshman. This is where my Marble comparison comes from.

Having said that, yes he was like the 4th or 5th best player on Simeon, although to be fair, that team has a few D1 prospects on it. But I think when he matures, he can really be something.

I could be wrong but I think you're thinking of Fleming (given the talent on his squad, that part isn't surprising). I think AAU evaluations are bit better to see how a player will translate to the next level. I think people, including myself, have seen that when Moss is given more freedom in a wide open game (which happens way more in AAU than in more structured high school ball), they see a very athletic 6'6 who glides pretty effortlessly on his dunks and has pretty solid shooting, decent handles, and decent vision. He'll need work on his D like every freshman. This is where my Marble comparison comes from.

Having said that, yes he was like the 4th or 5th best player on Simeon, although to be fair, that team has a few D1 prospects on it. But I think when he matures, he can really be something.
+1. Moss was a starter as far as I know, and IIRC Simeon was rated one of the Top 10 HS teams in the nation. As a Jr and first year player at Simeon, Moss wasn't a starter, but that team churns out high major talent.

According to Ballislife Midwest "6'6 wing Isaiah Moss plays for Chicago high school basketball powerhouse Simeon Career Academy, but he isn't ranked on any national recruiting lists.After coming off the bench as a junior, averaging under 5 points, Isaiah Moss has gained newfound confidence and was the breakout star of the summer (that our cameras caught) as he heads into his senior season. Simeon expects to compete for its 5th Illinois 4A state title in the last 6 years.In April, Moss was used sparingly off Mac Irvin Fire's bench to start AAU season. Then he led Simeon to several summer league tournament titles across the Chicago area through June, turning heads in the process. Coming full circle, Moss ended the summer AAU season showing-out back with Mac Irvin Fire in front of dozens of D1 coaches as they captured their first Big Foot Hoops Las Vegas Classic title (with former Mac Irvin Fire and Simeon star Jabari Parker as guest coach).Now as high school basketball season approaches, Moss' stock has skyrocketed to new heights.With no Division 1 offers when the high school season ended, Isaiah Moss now holds offers from Temple, SMU, Auburn, URI, UW Green Bay, wyoming, UIC, DePaul, Chicago St, East Carolina, NIU, La Salle, Loyola, UTEP, and San Jose St!Check out these summer highlights from Class of 2015 wing Isaiah Moss (Chicago Simeon Career Academy)!For more Isaiah Moss and Chicago high school basketball highlights, watch Ballislife Midwest!Please subscribe to our youtube channel and follow @scottballislife on IG!"
Fleming was a reserve for Oak Hill, but I believe his minutes were close to everyone except Bacon's. Being a 6th man on a team that finishes 47-1, and is widely considered one of the top prep schools isn't exactly like being a reserve for an Iowa high school. Fran isn't big on redshirting, and I'll be surprised if more than 1 player ends up sitting out the season.

Isaiah Moss

I hope Wagner.
If he hits the weights, and the training table, hard over the summer he could pack on a few more pounds of muscle and help support down low which they will desperately need.

I think Fran will play them all eventually depending on how well the frosh practice and develop. The only scenario in which I can envision one or more of the newcomers to redshirt, would be because of injury. These kids need to get as many minutes and experience early due to the number of players that will be departing over the next two years. For us to have substainable success without any downturns will be important for future recruiting and visibility for the Iowa hoops program going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT