• All 5

Votes: 8 4.6%

Votes: 6 3.5%

Votes: 24 13.9%

Votes: 37 21.4%

Votes: 61 35.3%

Votes: 37 21.4%

• Total voters
We've had plenty of guys leave over the years because they couldn't win a spot here. Many went to D3 schools and AA'd or were Champs. Some have even been D1 AA's and we once sent a guy who was stuck behind someone in our lineup to help Mike DeAnna get his program going when he went to coach Edinboro, and he went on to be a NC. I think his name was Day, but my memory is a little foggy on the name.
We've never really recruited over an AA or a Top 10 recruit that was healthy and eligible though. As stated earlier, there were a lot of questions about future eligibility for several of last year's starters, and our team would have been gutted if were hadn't brought in the transfers. Chittum had been in the room for a year and still hadn't signed a LOI, so he was a question mark as well. All of our coaches since Kurdelmeier have been very faithful/loyal to their top returners, and I'm proud of that. but maybe loyalty needs to be a thing of the past if you want to be competitive.🥺

wow one guy who was going to transfer but didn't... don't follow along if yo don't think he knows anything.
I do follow along….he got called out and later admitted “he made it up”…..maybe you ought follow a little closer

Reactions: Hawkgma
I do follow along….he got called out and later admitted “he made it up”…..maybe you ought follow a little closer
oh.......
Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo

We've had plenty of guys leave over the years because they couldn't win a spot here. Many went to D3 schools and AA'd or were Champs. Some have even been D1 AA's and we once sent a guy who was stuck behind someone in our lineup to help Mike DeAnna get his program going when he went to coach Edinboro, and he went on to be a NC. I think his name was Day, but my memory is a little foggy on the name.
We've never really recruited over an AA or a Top 10 recruit that was healthy and eligible though. As stated earlier, there were a lot of questions about future eligibility for several of last year's starters, and our team would have been gutted if were hadn't brought in the transfers. Chittum had been in the room for a year and still hadn't signed a LOI, so he was a question mark as well. All of our coaches since Kurdelmeier have been very faithful/loyal to their top returners, and I'm proud of that. but maybe loyalty needs to be a thing of the past if you want to be competitive.🥺
David Ray, Edinboro
Steve Knight, Iowa State
Charlie Sherertz, Missouri
Rich Cattalano, Pitt
Steve Mocco, Ok State
Seth Gross, SD State

Probably missing a few...Iowa guys who transferred out and AA'd elsewhere.

David Ray, Edinboro
Steve Knight, Iowa State
Rich Cattalano, Pitt
Steve Mocco, Ok State
Seth Gross, SD State

Yes, David Ray. I knew Day wasn't right, but it was close.

I remember Catalano driving Gable crazy.

Pretty good list. Was Colby Covington one too, or am I misremembering again?

An obvious, but underrated part of recruiting is talent evaluation. Can't just chase rankings. And that part is really hard.

Arnold and Braden Thompson were very similar prospects. Tons of credentials, considered to be elite defensively. Thompson has Senior Level freestyle success. And yet...he's getting destroyed in his first match at CKLV.

David Ray, Edinboro
Steve Knight, Iowa State
Rich Cattalano, Pitt
Steve Mocco, Ok State
Seth Gross, SD State

Rich Cattalano was my HS coach my senior year. He was an odd duck but I really liked him. The first time we ever wrestled I threw him to his back and pinned him. He only shot low singles from there on out.

An obvious, but underrated part of recruiting is talent evaluation. Can't just chase rankings. And that part is really hard.

Arnold and Braden Thompson were very similar prospects. Tons of credentials, considered to be elite defensively. Thompson has Senior Level freestyle success. And yet...he's getting destroyed in his first match at CKLV.

Yea...I don't put too much stock in it. First big tourney, welcome to the show.

Reactions: el dub
Yea...I don't put too much stock in it. First big tourney, welcome to the show.
For a different example, look at Wittlake vs. Brooks.

Wittlake was ranked higher almost his whole career. He beat Brooks head to head multiple times. He committed to PSU first. Yet, there was a reason many felt Brooks was the better prospect and by the end of their senior year, it looked pretty clear.

Reactions: IAChief32
For a different example, look at Wittlake vs. Brooks.

Wittlake was ranked higher almost his whole career. He beat Brooks head to head multiple times. He committed to PSU first. Yet, there was a reason many felt Brooks was the better prospect and by the end of their senior year, it looked pretty clear.
Aaron Brooks ??

Reactions: goldenanimal
Henckel to PSU.
Lockett to OSU.
Torres to VT.
Deluca to Iowa

Just waiting on Blaze. Hope he was the other silent recruit for 2025

2024 we got Angelo and Estrada who hasn't wrestled in a long time.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
Maybe I'm in the minority, but Henckel doesn't bother me that much. I don't see him cracking the lineup at PSU and he seemed pretty limited offensively against the cream of the crop. Lockett stings much worse to me.

I haven’t seen or heard much about the Rayney brothers recruitment. Have they released a list? Is Iowa in on these kids. If not, they absolutely should be. Anyone know anything about these hammers?

I haven’t seen or heard much about the Rayney brothers recruitment. Have they released a list? Is Iowa in on these kids. If not, they absolutely should be. Anyone know anything about these hammers?
was just gonna ask the same thing. seen plenty of posts over the last 2 years that Iowa should be in on them, but nothing confirming that they are.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
was just gonna ask the same thing. seen plenty of posts over the last 2 years that Iowa should be in on them, but nothing confirming that they are.
Willie said Iowa should go all in for them. They train at the Illinois RTC though.

You mean Illinois has an RTC but doesn't have a college team?

Illinois placed 38th with 7.5 points. If you can't excite the Raneys away from that juggernault, ...
Their RTC coach is super respected. Jacob Warner's high school coach back in the day. Great greco coach too and that might appeal to them.

They also had 2 of their best wrestlers out of the lineup this year. It's not a bad program by any means and they have a history with Kentucky guys.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Their RTC coach is super respected. Jacob Warner's high school coach back in the day. Great greco coach too and that might appeal to them.

They also had 2 of their best wrestlers out of the lineup this year. It's not a bad program by any means and they have a history with Kentucky guys.
For the amount of talent Illinois puts out, Illinois has been dog water

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Jesus, if we can’t lure lightweight talent from Kentucky away from Illinois, it’s time to throw in the towel. Especially since the coaches here are also identical twins like they are, should be able to relate to their unique situation.
recruiting sucks. they need another binder from Larry Lee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT