ADVERTISEMENT

Promoting bad behavior.

IAFB2021Champs

HR Heisman
Feb 6, 2012

I know I’m doing the same thing I’m upset about. But why does the media love promoting bad behavior.

In this article it talks about the punishment a student received for misbehaving in class.
Which might have worked but instead the media is making it seem like she was the victim. How are kids supposed to learn and become better humans when they are rewarded for negative behavior.

Before you jump my a$$ and back up this troublemaker. Myself along with 30 some other people went through this sort of situation.
I was on our high school football team and one Saturday practice roughly 10 of our teammates didn’t show up for practice.
Instead of those 10 players being punished. The rest of us that showed up had to do 100 yard bear crawls for every person that didn’t show up. The entire team had blisters when we were done.
We didn’t cry and complain to the media. We made sure to hold each other accountable after that and learned from it.

And to think our coach at the time is now a superintendent at an Iowa high school.

I know I’m doing the same thing I’m upset about. But why does the media love promoting bad behavior.

In this article it talks about the punishment a student received for misbehaving in class.
Which might have worked but instead the media is making it seem like she was the victim. How are kids supposed to learn and become better humans when they are rewarded for negative behavior.

Before you jump my a$$ and back up this troublemaker. Myself along with 30 some other people went through this sort of situation.
I was on our high school football team and one Saturday practice roughly 10 of our teammates didn’t show up for practice.
Instead of those 10 players being punished. The rest of us that showed up had to do 100 yard bear crawls for every person that didn’t show up. The entire team had blisters when we were done.
We didn’t cry and complain to the media. We made sure to hold each other accountable after that and learned from it.

And to think our coach at the time is now a superintendent at an Iowa high school.
why does the media promote this stuff?

BECAUSE THATS WHAT AMERICAN CONSUMERS PAY ATTENTION TO!

Ah yes, because causing a disturbance in class should equate to 2nd degree burns and a 7 hour trip to the hospital. You're a clown bruh.

Also, nobody wants to hear about your "back in the day" spiel. Too bad your coach didn't teach you guys how to view others with respect rather than judgement.

Well if the part about her laughing in class is true then I don't think second degree burns were punishment enough. Back in my day we were very serious in class and would never think to laugh.
Was your school ran by this hag?

4865655885_3ca7da8173.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Moral

CSB. When do you graduate?

I should think the adults in this situation should find a way of punishing students in a way that doesn't lead to 2nd degree burns.

It sounds to me like instead of cracking down on bad behavior by students you are promoting or defending irresponsible or abusive behavior from adults.

This is so much like the discussion about police officers. A person can be both a criminal that needs to be apprehended and brought to jail AND the police officers shouldn't take that as a license to conduct a vicious beating on them while they are handcuffed.

I can agree that the student needs to be punished for her behavior AND question the way the adult is doing it since it left 2nd degree burns on her hand. The bear crawls arn't even necessarily the problem, the adult should know that the ground is too freaking hot to do that outside so maybe do it inside or find a different punishment that doesn't involve the student touching their bare skin to the ground repeatedly.

Ah yes, because causing a disturbance in class should equate to 2nd degree burns and a 7 hour trip to the hospital. You're a clown bruh.

Also, nobody wants to hear about your "back in the day" spiel. Too bad your coach didn't teach you guys how to view others with respect rather than judgement.
I suppose you wonder why no one wants to be a teacher as well.

I know I’d love to be around a bunch of teens every day that are never punished and continue to be allowed to be little shits

And then you wonder wtf is wrong with people.

Is it a little extreme maybe but do we actually know the full story. The girl said she laughed in class. How many times was she asked to stop and continued to disrespect the adult telling her to knock it off.

Instead the media and all of you feel sorry for someone who doesn’t listen.

Well if the part about her laughing in class is true then I don't think second degree burns were punishment enough. Back in my day we were very serious in class and would never think to laugh.
One time in baseball practice our center fielder launched a cannon into home plate and nailed our head coach square in the nuts. like a perfect shot. Our 2nd baseman laughed and we all had to run laps.

When we finished he tried to give some lecture about "I didn't make you run because you hit me in the nuts, i made you run because you laughed." Our 2nd baseman replied "yeah cause it was funny." He made us run again.

You know what I remember most from that moment? That our 2nd baseman was right, it was f*cking funny.

I know I’d love to be around a bunch of teens every day that are never punished and continue to be allowed to be little shits

Is it a little extreme maybe but do we actually know the full story. The girl said she laughed in class. How many times was she asked to stop and continued to disrespect the adult telling her to knock it off.

BECAUSE THE GROWN UP IS SUPPOSE TO BE THE GROWN UP!

Kids laugh in class, they cause disturbances, they misbehave, they even talk back and disrespect people. They have to be talked how to act right. And this should be done by punishing them for bad behavior.

The trick is as the grown up you are suppose to figure out how to punish bad behavior without leaving physical marks or hurting the child mentally. There are plenty of ways to do that. But the grown up has to recognize the ground is too hot and find an alternative mode of punishment. I don't care if they take her inside and make her do bear crawls in the gym because the gym floor is probably not so hot it's going to burn her skin.

One time in baseball practice our center fielder launched a cannon into home plate and nailed our head coach square in the nuts. like a perfect shot. Our 2nd baseman laughed and we all had to run laps.

When we finished he tried to give some lecture about "I didn't make you run because you hit me in the nuts, i made you run because you laughed." Our 2nd baseman replied "yeah cause it was funny." He made us run again.

You know what I remember most from that moment? That our 2nd baseman was right, it was f*cking funny.

Did he think that years of conditioning to make people laugh about nut shots could be fixed by some laps?

No one wants to be a teacher because they don't have free reign to abuse students that act out? Odd take.

Come on man, if you're going to come on here to try and bait people into arguing with you or get a reaction, at least come correct. Making yourself look foolish probably isn't what you were going for, but here we are I guess.

A little advice for your next "argument", don't tell people to not make assumptions, when you yourself are making assumptions. You weren't there either. You have no idea what happened. If you really believe 2nd degree burns and a 7 hour trip to the hospital is fair punishment for causing a disturbance in class, then you're probably close to the same level of intelligence as those pesky 7th grade troublemakers.

Kids laugh in class, they cause disturbances, they misbehave, they even talk back and disrespect people. They have to be talked how to act right. And this should be done by punishing them for bad behavior.

The trick is as the grown up you are suppose to figure out how to punish bad behavior without leaving physical marks or hurting the child mentally. There are plenty of ways to do that. But the grown up has to recognize the ground is too hot and find an alternative mode of punishment. I don't care if they take her inside and make her do bear crawls in the gym because the gym floor is probably not so hot it's going to burn her skin.
They talk back and disrespect because they are untouchable. If you discipline them, they go crying to someone and get what they want. In this situation they are even thinking about suing the school. lol
I never once thought about acting out or talking back to any adult because I was disciplined and learned from it. My parents didn’t put me in a corner for disrespecting them and I learned very quickly.

They talk back and disrespect because they are untouchable. If you discipline them, they go crying to someone and get what they want. In this situation they are even thinking about suing the school. lol
I never once thought about acting out or talking back to any adult because I was disciplined and learned from it. My parents didn’t put me in a corner for disrespecting them and I learned very quickly.
What is the end game for this student in your mind?

So it's your contention the softball coach knew doing the bear crawls outside on the turf could cause burns and that's why she had her do them? That's what you're going with?

They talk back and disrespect because they are kids and that's what kids do. And people have been talking about how kids these days are super extra disrespectful and they don't face an consequences since the time of socrates.

So I have a hard time believing it's really all that different now than it was in the past.

But ultimately that doesn't matter. What matters is that the grown up needs to find a way of punishing the student that doesn't result in 2nd degree burns.

It's not black and white. It's not either no consequences or 2nd degree burns. You can find that middle ground if you have a halfway functioning adult brain.

So it's your contention the softball coach knew doing the bear crawls outside on the turf could cause burns and that's why she had her do them? That's what you're going with?
the girl told coach it was happening...coach told her to keep going

“I could feel my hands start to whelp and burn. I could feel the blisters burning on my hands. I told her, and she was like, ‘You’re OK. You’re almost done. Just keep going.’ But I wasn’t really almost done,” Caydence said. “So, I kept going, and I got on my knees because I could feel them push and pop. She’s like, ‘No, you’re fine. Keep going.’”

What is the end game for this student in your mind?
She was punished did her time and learned from it. She behaves in class after serving the time and has some respect for her teachers.

What do you expect that person has learned now that it’s in the media and worse, what happens if they sue the school and win a bunch of money. What is she learning from this in your mind?
Come on man, if you're going to come on here to try and bait people into arguing with you or get a reaction, at least come correct. Making yourself look foolish probably isn't what you were going for, but here we are I guess.

A little advice for your next "argument", don't tell people to not make assumptions, when you yourself are making assumptions. You weren't there either. You have no idea what happened. If you really believe 2nd degree burns and a 7 hour trip to the hospital is fair punishment for causing a disturbance in class, then you're probably close to the same level of intelligence as those pesky 7th grade troublemakers.
I guess I am basing this on my own situation.
We all had blisters and most likely some of us had 2nd degree burns.
None of us went to the hospital. Maybe we should have but we toughed it out. We were doing our bear crawls in August on a dried out dirty football field.
Some of our coaches washed our hands after doing these bear crawls and we put some tape on them and then continued with practice.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

My contention is the softball coach F*** UP and didn't realize or take into account how hot the ground was. That's irresponsible.

The simple answer:

Americans are starving for attention and the surest way to get it is to be a "victim". We have rewarded victimhood in our society.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
She was punished did her time and learned from it. She behaves in class after serving the time and has some respect for her teachers.

What do you expect that person has learned now that it’s in the media and worse, what happens if they sue the school and win a bunch of money. What is she learning from this in your mind?

None of us went to the hospital. Maybe we should have but we toughed it out. We were doing our bear crawls in August on a dried out dirty football field.
Some of our coaches washed our hands after doing these bear crawls and we put some tape on them and then continued with practice.
She has most likely learned that there are some disturbed teachers in her school that are ok abusing kids for *checks notes* laughing in class.

Reactions: JWolf74 and Moral

I don't know if you had 2nd degree burns or not but I would imagine if you had them you would know.

That said even if that is what happened to you, the fact that it happened to you does not make it right or acceptable.

I mean if a 3 year old was reaching for something they were not suppose to have and the parent reacted to this by literally breaking the child's arm, would you think it would suddenly make it better if the parent said "Well my parents did that to me."

the girl told coach it was happening...coach told her to keep going

“I could feel my hands start to whelp and burn. I could feel the blisters burning on my hands. I told her, and she was like, ‘You’re OK. You’re almost done. Just keep going.’ But I wasn’t really almost done,” Caydence said. “So, I kept going, and I got on my knees because I could feel them push and pop. She’s like, ‘No, you’re fine. Keep going.’”
I'm not defending the coach, but I'm also not dumb enough to think the coach knew it would result in burns. Even if the girl was telling the coach her hands were burning, common sense says the coach didn't expect what happened. Kids complain during hard exercise.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
My contention is the softball coach F*** UP and didn't realize or take into account how hot the ground was. That's irresponsible.
Agreed, but burning her hands wasn't the intent as you made it seem. There's a big difference between negligent and intentional.

Did you know right away you're gay...or did it take until 1st grade?

They talk back and disrespect because they are kids and that's what kids do. And people have been talking about how kids these days are super extra disrespectful and they don't face an consequences since the time of socrates.

So I have a hard time believing it's really all that different now than it was in the past.

But ultimately that doesn't matter. What matters is that the grown up needs to find a way of punishing the student that doesn't result in 2nd degree burns.

It's not black and white. It's not either no consequences or 2nd degree burns. You can find that middle ground if you have a halfway functioning adult brain.
It is infinitely different than 2-3 decades ago. The acceptable forms of discipline and consequences aren't nearly the same as they were.
Don't you homeschool your kids or something?

Agreed, but burning her hands wasn't the intent as you made it seem. There's a big difference between negligent and intentional.

I'm not defending the coach, but I'm also not dumb enough to think the coach knew it would result in burns. Even if the girl was telling the coach her hands were burning, common sense says the coach didn't expect what happened. Kids complain during hard exercise.
I would hope the coaches would be aware of what 90 degrees feel like on turf in Texas. Exposed skin on said turf is just stupid.

At least the coaches know now.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Fair but in neither case do you look at it like "she was just teaching them a lesson"
I disagree. The outcome was awful and the coach needs reprimanded bc she should have been smart enough to know the turf was too hot.
But extra exercise for misbehaving when you're a part of a team has its place and I have no issues with the premise of it whatsoever.
My kids grew up in athletics and it was commonplace... When handled correctly it can be productive.

It is infinitely different than 2-3 decades ago. The acceptable forms of discipline and consequences aren't nearly the same as they were.
Don't you homeschool your kids or something?

My kids do online school because of disabilities.

In terms of it being different, I feel like I'm going to need objective statistics to back this up. Because "kids these days" statements are as old as humanity itself. So I need something more than people's feelings.

I mean you are essentially saying to me "Yes adults have been saying this thing for 3000 years now, but they were all wrong for the previous 2990 years, it's totally right in the last 10 years.

And I got bullied a lot in middle school while administration did nothing so telling me about how the kids are total bullies now and get away with it would just make me think yeah that's pretty much how it was 30 years ago too.

I don't know if you had 2nd degree burns or not but I would imagine if you had them you would know.

That said even if that is what happened to you, the fact that it happened to you does not make it right or acceptable.

I mean if a 3 year old was reaching for something they were not suppose to have and the parent reacted to this by literally breaking the child's arm, would you think it would suddenly make it better if the parent said "Well my parents did that to me."
I would hope a 12 or 13 year old should know the difference between right or wrong. But judging by the comments some of you have made, they might not.

If that’s the case and she didn’t know better. Then yes I feel sorry for her. Hopefully she’s getting the special education that she needs.
She has most likely learned that there are some disturbed teachers in her school that are ok abusing kids for *checks notes* laughing in class.
after the media attention she has received, do you think she will continue to be a disruption in class and disrespect elders?

If she didn’t receive the media attention, do you think she would continue to be a disruption in class and disrespect elders?

From what you said, I take it she didn’t learn anything from this whole situation about being a better person but just that if I fvck around enough, I’ll eventually find out what will happen. “Fvck around and find out” or “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”

Reactions: NI hawk
I disagree. The outcome was awful and the coach needs reprimanded bc she should have been smart enough to know the turf was too hot.
But extra exercise for misbehaving when you're a part of a team has its place and I have no issues with the premise of it whatsoever.
My kids grew up in athletics and it was commonplace... When handled correctly it can be productive.

I stated multiple times I don't have issues with the premise, if she wanted to take them inside to do bear crawls in the gym where the floor is presumably not so hot that it will burn her hands, I'm ok with that.

I have issues about not calling out the coach's negligence.

I don't think the family is upset about the bear crawls, they are upset cause her hands got burned up.

That’s actually exactly what our teacher/coach taught us, to have respect for each other, have each others back and work together as a group or team.
Much like this softball coach was teaching this 7th grade girl to have some respect for her teacher and other students in class.

Now everyone is judging the teacher because she tried to teach the girl a lesson.

I would hope a 12 or 13 year old should know the difference between right or wrong. But judging by the comments some of you have made, they might not.

If that’s the case and she didn’t know better. Then yes I feel sorry for her. Hopefully she’s getting the special education that she needs.

after the media attention she has received, do you think she will continue to be a disruption in class and disrespect elders?

If she didn’t receive the media attention, do you think she would continue to be a disruption in class and disrespect elders?

From what you said, I take it she didn’t learn anything from this whole situation about being a better person but just that if I fvck around enough, I’ll eventually find out what will happen. “Fvck around and find out” or “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”

They can know the difference between what they are suppose to be doing and what they arn't and still as kids like to test boundries or just be immature. Again totally fine with punishments, I'm even fine with bear crawls. But you can't ignore the coach's negligence in having them done on a hot surface that caused burns.

Just as kids have to take responsibility for when they screw up, so too do adults. It goes doubly so for adults. You can't tell a kid they have to be responsible and allow them to watch grown ups skate free.

That’s actually exactly what our teacher taught us, to have respect for each other, have each others back and work together as a group or team.
Much like this softball coach was teaching this 7th grade girl to have some respect for her teacher and other students in class.

Now everyone is judging the teacher because she tried to teach the girl a lesson.

Her lesson ended up being not very good, eh? The coach probably learned not to make kids bear crawl especially on hot days. They will probably learn how to get registered in the unemployment office too. The school will probably learn they need to clearly define their punishment policies and heat related policies to prevent settling future lawsuits. The kids in the school probably will figure out they can't be punished anymore.

All because some teacher couldn't handle some 7th graders laughing and decided to rat a kid out to a coach to have punishment dealt out for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT