ADVERTISEMENT

" ...prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense ... they keep claiming to be"

Rustys Dad

HR Heisman
Jun 19, 2015
Des Moines
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...834900-7da4-11e5-beba-927fd8634498_story.html
Uh sure ...

"Though Maryland has already shuffled its rotation on the offensive line after losing starting left guard Mike Minter to a season-ending shoulder injury, the unit has found a comfort level with interim coach Mike Locksley’s new approach on offense. Behind Hills’s ability to run and set up the zone-read attack, the offense finally has an identity and won’t stray from its plan to establish the run against Iowa, senior left guard Ryan Doyle said on Wednesday.

“They’re coming in and saying, ‘Okay, try and run the ball,’ ” Doyle said of Iowa, which is limiting opponents to 74.1 yards rushing per game. “We’re going to do just that. We want to run the ball. We want to prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense that they keep claiming to be.”

Bad idea! Bad BAD BAD BAD

Iowa's worst defensive player is Greg Mabin. The game plan should be to throw at him 30 times.
That is a bit unfair, Mabin has been inconsistent in the pass game but has been extremely stout in the run game and setting the edge on his side. On the other hand you might be right (although Taylor is suspect in passing as well) and if Mabin is our "worst" our defense is pretty damn good

I hope Maryland does try to run. That would be great for Iowa. And I don't think left guard Ryan Doyle is very clever to throw out such challenges. I wouldn't be surprised if his words have found their way onto a bulletin board or two. Go ahead, Mr. Doyle. Give it your best shot. Welcome to Iowa City. LOL

Reactions: DixieHawkeye
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...834900-7da4-11e5-beba-927fd8634498_story.html
Uh sure ...

"Though Maryland has already shuffled its rotation on the offensive line after losing starting left guard Mike Minter to a season-ending shoulder injury, the unit has found a comfort level with interim coach Mike Locksley’s new approach on offense. Behind Hills’s ability to run and set up the zone-read attack, the offense finally has an identity and won’t stray from its plan to establish the run against Iowa, senior left guard Ryan Doyle said on Wednesday.

“They’re coming in and saying, ‘Okay, try and run the ball,’ ” Doyle said of Iowa, which is limiting opponents to 74.1 yards rushing per game. “We’re going to do just that. We want to run the ball. We want to prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense that they keep claiming to be.”

LOL...I smell bulletin board material. Smart move! Get our D riled up after a week off. Apparently the terps haven't heard the ole expression "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie"?? Could be a major beat down coming for them Saturday

That is a bit unfair, Mabin has been inconsistent in the pass game but has been extremely stout in the run game and setting the edge on his side. On the other hand you might be right (although Taylor is suspect in passing as well) and if Mabin is our "worst" our defense is pretty damn good
Amazing how 'fans' can take a shot at our guys, no matter the situation. Greg Mabin has had to pick up a lot of slack this year- first because no-one in his right mind throws at Desmond King, thus doubling the number of throws at Greg; but also in trying to 'save' other plays where team-mates have made inappropriate or late reads, leaving areas uncovered. Greg has made some mistakes - so has everyone on the team - but he has also made some jaw-dropping great plays - thankfully, so have many of his teammates. Great, great year.

One of my favorite things over the years here is to watch how our cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties have no speed, skills or talents, and then to watch them for years in the NFL. Don't be surprised if Greg Mabin follows that storyline.

Always appreciative of every single Hawk, always in awe of the talent, skills, sacrifice and work necessary to be a Division I football player, starter or otherwise; Go Hawks!

Amazing how 'fans' can take a shot at our guys, no matter the situation. Greg Mabin has had to pick up a lot of slack this year- first because no-one in his right mind throws at Desmond King, thus doubling the number of throws at Greg; but also in trying to 'save' other plays where team-mates have made inappropriate or late reads, leaving areas uncovered. Greg has made some mistakes - so has everyone on the team - but he has also made some jaw-dropping great plays - thankfully, so have many of his teammates. Great, great year.

One of my favorite things over the years here is to watch how our cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties have no speed, skills or talents, and then to watch them for years in the NFL. Don't be surprised if Greg Mabin follows that storyline.

Always appreciative of every single Hawk, always in awe of the talent, skills, sacrifice and work necessary to be a Division I football player, starter or otherwise; Go Hawks!

p.s. My reply is to Gridiron24, not to MileHighHawkeye 24

Bad idea! Bad BAD BAD BAD

Iowa's worst defensive player is Greg Mabin. The game plan should be to throw at him 30 times.
I would imagine Iowa's worst defensive player is somewhere on the sideline during games. If they throw at Mabin 30 times a couple picks wouldn't surprise me at all, and the way he hits a guy or 2 could end up with alligator arms by the end of the day.

I'm hoping that is what he was saying.

Well, apparently there are a lot of people not in their right mind, because they have thrown at King all year and they've burnt him a couple times. He's definitely 'won' more battles than he's lost though. Yeah, Illinois started 'picking' on Mabin for awhile in that game, but if you'll remember correctly, the long TD pass was 'at' King. But besides that, I agree with most of your post.

Mabin has also been dealing with a hamstring injury since (I believe) the Iowa State game. While I think he has played fine this year regardless, I also think his productivity has been stunted by injury in the same way Canzeri's injuries last year prevented him from being as productive as he could be had he been healthy. The bye week could prove very beneficial for Mabin, as well as the other notable players with injuries.

Before facing Michigan and Iowa, Northwestern had been averaging a shade over 270 yards per game on the ground (if I'm recalling correctly). The Northwestern QB is mobile and Justin Jackson was one of the better RBs we had faced all season. All the same, apart from a few blips from blown coverages .... the Hawks severely limited Northwestern's run-game. Furthermore, while being just a RS FR, Thorson at least had started EVERY game throughout the season.

Now Iowa faces ANOTHER run-heavy attack. This attack features a mobile QB and a talented RB. However, the Maryland starting QB now has NOT been the primary QB throughout the whole season. The current Maryland starting QB has thrown 2 INTs against Ohio State and 3 INTs against Penn State. Not only are the Terrapins going against one of the best run Ds they've faced all year ... they're also facing one of the best pick-artists they've faced all year. Lastly, the game is far away from home ... in an environment that will likely embolden the Iowa O ... thereby keeping the Maryland D on the field. Thus, when the Maryland O does take the field ... they'll likely be facing off against a pretty darn fresh D.

Lastly, it's not like Iowa isn't familiar with Locksley's option running scheme. Iowa was one of the few teams to be able to shut it down ... back when they faced the Illini option-O back in 2007. That was a vaunted attack that had run rough-shod through essentially every Big 10 squad ... and they got severely limited by a Hawk D that really wasn't even one of our better ones. I'll be curious how well we game-plan it ... especially now that Norm is gone.

Reactions: ichawk24
If Maryland has success running the ball, I doubt it will come from a traditional manner. I could see their QB breaking contain on a few plays and picking up big yards on broken pass plays, but I doubt they will be able to design a running scheme that has consistent success against our defense.
I'll say this - the Maryland run-O is definitely the most sophisticated one we've faced all year. There will be a continued premium on guys focusing on doing their job. One of the problems is that a wrong read might come to burn you that much more. I expect that we'll see Lomax come up a lot based on reads he makes ... and that will put more pressure on the secondary if the offensive play involves a run-pass option (rather than just a run-run option).

We're going to need to BOTH worry about setting the edge AND containing the QB. A number of Perry Hills's big runs have been down the middle of the field ... and he has the speed to break long runs.

I'll say this - the Maryland run-O is definitely the most sophisticated one we've faced all year. There will be a continued premium on guys focusing on doing their job. One of the problems is that a wrong read might come to burn you that much more. I expect that we'll see Lomax come up a lot based on reads he makes ... and that will put more pressure on the secondary if the offensive play involves a run-pass option (rather than just a run-run option).

We're going to need to BOTH worry about setting the edge AND containing the QB. A number of Perry Hills's big runs have been down the middle of the field ... and he has the speed to break long runs.

I don't mind them having a good running QB, just hit him a few times and see how much he is willing to run after that....

I don't mind them having a good running QB, just hit him a few times and see how much he is willing to run after that....
Agree, the back 7 this year is one of the harder hitting groups we've seen for a while. Hard to dodge defenders when you're seeing 3 of each of them. :)

Reactions: wyldhawk9
That isn't the firs thing these jokers have said. One of their players also said they were going to be able to pass bc Iowa's DBs weren't that good and they can exploit them. Apparently their coach wants them to give Iowa all the bulletin board material they can take

I'm sorry, but this year's Iowa defense doesn't need bulletin board material. If you watch the interviews, everyone on this defense is extremely confident. They don't boast or claim to be anything. They just are, and they know it.

If the game plan for Maryland is to establish the run against Iowa, then they will abandon it very quickly. It's one thing to watch this Iowa defense on tape and see that they don't do anything out of the ordinary, it's an entirely different matter trying to play this defense.

This defense may not be too aggressive, but they play as violent as any defense I've seen this year. There are two things at the core of a good to great Iowa defense. Perfect technique/assignment football and play violently. IT's the most violent defense we've had since the '08 and '09 team with Angerer.

It's far easier for an offense to prepare for the more scheme oriented defenses of the OSU's and PSU's; which are successful. But you can replicate going up against a defense were it's success comes from how much more violent they are willing to play.

If the entire Maryland offense has the same attitude towards Iowa's defense as this Doyle, then they aren't going to be prepared to face the Iowa defense. Sorry. Because it tells me that all they've seen is that our defense isn't very complex; which is true and it's the way Norm originally designed it.

Norm was a firm believer in KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. He was also a believer that if your going to have a simpler defense, the players better play with violence to be successful. That belief is where "6 seconds of hell" came from. Phil has added a few things to make the defense his own and a little more complex than Norm's but not much. The core values are still the same.

We've played against far superior rushing offenses than Maryland's and they weren't able to run against Iowa. What makes them think that they will be able to?

I sure hope MD does this! Iowa's rushing D is traditionally very stout in the middle, so if MD tries to run it up the gut, straight into the teeth of Iowa's defense, then I see lots of 3rd and long in this game for the Terps.

They (Hawk D) do not need BB material.....BUT, you know some folks will let them know what was said just in case they missed it.
Set the edge and gap control. Do that and you hold them under 100 yds.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddelzell

I agree that their's is quite sophisticated. They even like to give 'false' reads, for instance, pulling 2 lineman to the right, then running a 'lead' play 2 the left (RB leading for the QB). They hurt us with that one a couple times last year. Have to be incredibly disciplined in gap responsibility.

To be fair, their game plan is to run the ball every week largely because they do not have a quarterback on their roster that can reliably complete a forward pass.

Maryland's play by play guy was on 1600 AM yesterday and said that for one, UM will run the read option with Hills until Iowa stops it - and two, he's taken a pounding the last two weeks and was curious how he'll hold up against a third such pounding.

He also said that they have installed a Will Lively offensive package (their good yet diminutive corner) recently.

Maryland's play by play guy was on 1600 AM yesterday and said that for one, UM will run the read option with Hills until Iowa stops it - and two, he's taken a pounding the last two weeks and was curious how he'll hold up against a third such pounding.

He also said that they have installed a Will Lively offensive package (their good yet diminutive corner) recently.
Some jet plays, I'm guessing.

They (Hawk D) does not need BB material.....BUT, you know some folks will let them know what was said just in case they missed it.
Set the edge and gap control. Do that and you hold them under 100 yds.

You just nailed it. I think that is exactly where Maryland is going to try and exploit the Iowa D; edge and gap. I'm guessing, but I imagine some kind of QB read option where Hills will essentially try to find the gaps in the Iowa D. I think Iowa will load the box and play man coverage. It worries me because if Maryland can be physical at the point of attack and pick up four or five yards a whack, they might be able to control the tempo of the game. Iowa hasn't played any team that has had any success controlling tempo on offense. I worry how the Hawks will respond if their defense is on the field more than they are used to.

Reactions: Packer54
If I remember correctly the team that actually broke some consistent runs against us was actually N. Texas.....again if I remember correct it seemed like it was mainly on the opposite side of the formation and our DE would crash down and the back would hit the short side of the alignment outside the DE. That is the KIND of thing we need to be aware of. When the QB is holding the ball in the RBs gut trying to decide in an instant to hand it off or run I would like him to see very solid gap position by the black and gold jerseys. If he does, he is in trouble.

If I remember correctly the team that actually broke some consistent runs against us was actually N. Texas.....again if I remember correct it seemed like it was mainly on the opposite side of the formation and our DE would crash down and the back would hit the short side of the alignment outside the DE. That is the KIND of thing we need to be aware of. When the QB is holding the ball in the RBs gut trying to decide in an instant to hand it off or run I would like him to see very solid gap position by the black and gold jerseys. If he does, he is in trouble.
NW tried the same thing, I think we have cleaned that up since that game....besides N Texas racked up almost 80 of their yards when we were up by 30+....I know I know players should always play hard but its pretty common to "let up" when you are destroying a team

The North Texas game was a 28-3 game after 20 minutes. Then the defense went soft, preventing anything over the top and playing out the string.

Here are all the NT runs to that point in the game:

It is misleading to read anything into their running success in garbage time.

You just nailed it. I think that is exactly where Maryland is going to try and exploit the Iowa D; edge and gap. I'm guessing, but I imagine some kind of QB read option where Hills will essentially try to find the gaps in the Iowa D. I think Iowa will load the box and play man coverage. It worries me because if Maryland can be physical at the point of attack and pick up four or five yards a whack, they might be able to control the tempo of the game. Iowa hasn't played any team that has had any success controlling tempo on offense. I worry how the Hawks will respond if their defense is on the field more than they are used to.

This concerns me as well. It will be the most sophisticated run scheme Iowa has played so far.

Wow, it's almost as if you don't know anything about football. I don't even know where to start on this one, so I probably shouldn't. But if you want to learn anything, let me know. I'll be glad to explain some things to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT