ADVERTISEMENT

" ...prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense ... they keep claiming to be"

The North Texas game was a 28-3 game after 20 minutes. Then the defense went soft, preventing anything over the top and playing out the string.

Here are all the NT runs to that point in the game:

It is misleading to read anything into their running success in garbage time.

Aaaaaaa, I wasn't trying to be misleading about the mighty N. Texas running attack. I was simply pointing out that this is the TYPE of play that we have to remain edge/gap solid. Again it was the ONLY time I remember seeing it all year besides a one off play here or there. Sorry you had to go through all the N. Texas plays to prove me wrong???

Focusing on the "sophistication" of Maryland's offense is ignoring all their glaring weaknesses. They are not a good football team.

Iowa is not invincible either. I'm hoping they are prepared for this distinct running attack. That is all I'm saying. Maryland has put up outstanding rushing numbers this year.

If I remember correctly the team that actually broke some consistent runs against us was actually N. Texas.....again if I remember correct it seemed like it was mainly on the opposite side of the formation and our DE would crash down and the back would hit the short side of the alignment outside the DE. That is the KIND of thing we need to be aware of. When the QB is holding the ball in the RBs gut trying to decide in an instant to hand it off or run I would like him to see very solid gap position by the black and gold jerseys. If he does, he is in trouble.
I don't think you are remembering correctly. Later in the game when they were breaking some good runs, our DE's (especially Ott) were pass rushing (driving strait up the field) and they were just bouncing off tackle in the void they created. Man, I don't know how they've held anyone under 100 yds. rushing without you guys there at practice to point out the KIND of things they need to be aware of. Lol.
P.S. What is the 'opposite side of the formation'? It's almost as if you know less about football than Ddelzell.

I don't mind them having a good running QB, just hit him a few times and see how much he is willing to run after that....
Apparently this QB is on record saying he refuses to slide. Something about toughness.

Mr Jewell and Mr Lomax may test his braveness

Reactions: Hark10
I'm sorry, but this year's Iowa defense doesn't need bulletin board material. If you watch the interviews, everyone on this defense is extremely confident. They don't boast or claim to be anything. They just are, and they know it.

They are confident as a group because they trust the guy next to him is going to do his job. All they have to do is worry about their assignment and do it well. The defense doesn't have a lot of studs (yet) like in previous seasons (minus King) but they play very well together.

I don't think you are remembering correctly. Later in the game when they were breaking some good runs, our DE's (especially Ott) were pass rushing (driving strait up the field) and they were just bouncing off tackle in the void they created. Man, I don't know how they've held anyone under 100 yds. rushing without you guys there at practice to point out the KIND of things they need to be aware of. Lol.
P.S. What is the 'opposite side of the formation'? It's almost as if you know less about football than Ddelzell.

I know...your shit doesn't stink and you have pointed out numerous times how much YOU know and how little WE know. You obviously have a complex that drives you to use faceless approach to being an ass in trying to make up for whatever major deficiency(s) you have in your life. Short, no job, ugly wife/girlfriend, can't get any from ugly wife/girlfriend, too much extra space in the front of your jeans.
Goodbye sorry little man.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Folks...sometimes teams are what they are. And right now, Maryland has beaten exactly one FBS team so far this year, and they gave up 45 and 49 their last two road games.

Everybody's sweating MD putting up big numbers on us, but ignoring that Iowa most likely will put nearly a half century on them. At the VERY least.

So, if you think Iowa's D is going to give up roughly 7 touchdowns this game, then sure...go ahead and worry.

Folks...sometimes teams are what they are. And right now, Maryland has beaten exactly one FBS team so far this year, and they gave up 45 and 49 their last two road games.

Everybody's sweating MD putting up big numbers on us, but ignoring that Iowa most likely will put nearly a half century on them. At the VERY least.

So, if you think Iowa's D is going to give up roughly 7 touchdowns this game, then sure...go ahead and worry.

Agree....I think until someone actually RUNS on our defense then I have no reason to doubt we will control that part of their game. Queue up for interceptions at that point.

Prophet, cmon man....I do think you are quite knowledgable about the Iowa program and football in general, which is really a breathe of fresh air in many regards bc many posters are not. However, I really wish you would stop being so presumptuous about everything....I mean you really make your self out to be a tool sometimes and that is unfortunate because you could really bring a lot to this board, but that is often overshadowed by your douchy comments more often than not.

Well said. Iowa has allowed the 3rd fewest rushing yards per game in the country, and the 3rd fewest yards per rushing play in the country. Yet we have people posting how "concerned" and "worried" they are about 2-5 Maryland's rushing game.

Iowa is not invincible either. I'm hoping they are prepared for this distinct running attack. That is all I'm saying. Maryland has put up outstanding rushing numbers this year.
Agreed. Maryland is not "good" in the sense that they make a bunch of costly mistakes (usually) to cost games. When you give up 600+ yards and 49 points to Bowling Green you have issues.

What Maryland does have is more tools to attack Iowa on the ground than any team Iowa has played this year. A QB who really runs and plays like a RB, B1G level backs, a competent line and a scheme that has given Iowa trouble the past. Note: that doesn't mean Iowa will struggle with it this year, just that it's going to be a better test. Who is the best running QB Iowa has played so far? Roberson for Illinois State could run, but the mismatch between Illinois State's OL and Iowa's DL was so massive Roberson was rendered useless. Wisconsin has a good running game, but lacked breakaway speed at RB and had a statue at QB.

Iowa's D needs to force Maryland into passing downs (3rd and long) and then make Hillis throw to convert rather than scrambling. And then attack the Maryland defense.

Reactions: BulliesOfTheBigTen
Agreed. Maryland is not "good" in the sense that they make a bunch of costly mistakes (usually) to cost games. When you give up 600+ yards and 49 points to Bowling Green you have issues.

Iowa's D needs to force Maryland into passing downs (3rd and long) and then make Hillis throw to convert rather than scrambling. And then attack the Maryland defense.

I don't want Iowa to go into contain the QB mode like they did last year vs. Iowa State. Not rushing the QB was what lost the game for the Hawks. Play zone. Have Taylor/Lomax keep an eye on him. Anything but contain mode.

All this scared talk of Maryland sounds a lot like what everyone said about Northwestern. So, if I understand things correctly, MD has an NU offense, but not the NU defense. I like our chances against that kind of team.

Bad idea! Bad BAD BAD BAD

Iowa's worst defensive player is Greg Mabin. The game plan should be to throw at him 30 times.

Not only unfair, but false. Mabin plays much farther off the ball than King and it is clearly by design. Watch that Illinois game again, the throws were mostly underneath his coverage, because he was clearly positioned to play deep. That has been many a poster's complaint about the NP/PP defense since the turn of the century. Sure they threw to his side like 14 passes in a row, but he didn't allow it to amount to much. And one needs to remember what happened to King/Lomax on one of the routes.

Mabin is fine, he is no liability.

Apparently this QB is on record saying he refuses to slide. Something about toughness.

The no sliding thing is the only smart thing to come out of that program this week. I constantly see QBs pick up concussions when they slide late, way more than when they take on a tackler. Sliding is only good for trying to pick up cheap personal foul calls, thankfully officials seem to have figured out the late slide scam and aren't calling it.

No coach at any level should teach a running QB to slide. Telling a pocket QB to slide with 5 yards between him and the nearest defender is fine, anything later than that is just begging for a concussion and a correct no call by the official.

JFC, Maryland isn't some rushing power. Everytime they've face a top 50 rushing defense, they've been shut down on the ground and have gotten their asses kick with the exception of USF. Maryland beat USF by throwing the ball, not rushing.

The rushing defense most similar to Iowa's statistically is Michigan. Maryland gain a whooping 29 yards on Michigan and was shut out.

Maryland is not this rushing juggernaut the posters in this thread are trying to portray them to be. They are barely inside the top 50 in rushing offense.

Reactions: IACub and ichawk24
Probably not reflective of Maryland to use season rankings. More accurate to look at last few games.

Probably not to much unlike Northwestern.
Teams tend to change during the season

Not surprising, I was listening to some of the Penn State/ Maryland game last week and the announcers said that Hills was a Pennsylvania High School state wrestling champion. I expect he'll leave on a stretcher Saturday but his toughness is probably one of his best assets.

Again Iowa's run defense has been far better than Penn State's and Ohio State's so looking at how they did against those teams is not exactly reflective of what they will do against Iowa. People just see the names and think "oh man, they ran against those teams" but they are both ranked in the mid 50's in rush defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT