ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment rumors

Realignment is on HOLD until it is official that the Pac-10 cannot secure a viable new media contract.

They are looking for anything that secures them what the Big12 is getting per team...or very close to it.

If that does not happen, then the conference will most likely collapse (schools deciding to abandon ship) and you'll see the BigTen (and most likely Big12) expanding once again.

I read somewhere that the unofficial deadline to secure that media contract is before the start of the football season.

Reactions: squeezebox
I believe it’s already been announced that the East-West set up is going away. Even if they don’t expand any further.
Yes, it was reported that the Big 10 office was doing away with divisions but if Wash and Oregon join then and 18 team conf without divisions will not be as exciting. You will have many teams out of the race after 2 weeks. Even with only 16 teams I bet in a few years they are back to divisions, 2 or 4.

I bet two 9 team divisions if the number of teams hits 18. I see a 10 game Big 10 schedule soon with only 2 non-conf games to keep as much money in the league as possible. There are not near as many great non-conf yearly matchups anymore.

If the Pac 12 collapses and Utah and Colorado fit the mold for a Big 10 team I could see them being added to the Big and then seeing 4 five team divisions and a semifinal and then Big 10 Champ game. money money money

I believe it’s already been announced that the East-West set up is going away. Even if they don’t expand any further.

yeah, starting next year, the B1G East / West is done

but I don't think there's been much yet reported yet on how they are going to form schedules, how many conference games there will be (8, 9, or 10?), what rivalries will be protected, etc.

The CFP expands to 12 teams next year, of course, so lots of important decisions are coming

looks like two super conferences the big ten and the sec. The leftovers from the pac 12 and the big twelve should merge and form a conference. Television revenue And an expanded playoff are driving this. Nothimg amateur about it.
You're absolutely correct. But would you rather be in the club or not be?

Reactions: kceasthawk
You put USC and Oregon into the West division and that will be tough, very tough. That puts Iowa at a consistent 4th -6th pick each year.

NCAA will eventually mimic the NFL (American vs National) with East, West, North, and South divisions.
USC hates Oregon. Funny if they get stuck together again.

Reactions: obfuscating
They need to get a weekend long season scheduling show on air. We would all watch a lot of it. Do team previews. Game previews , etc.

yeah, starting next year, the B1G East / West is done

but I don't think there's been much yet reported yet on how they are going to form schedules, how many conference games there will be (8, 9, or 10?), what rivalries will be protected, etc.

The CFP expands to 12 teams next year, of course, so lots of important decisions are coming
I am sure the new Commish will be working with media partners and ADs on that over the summer.

If you were Oregon and Washington wouldn’t you be praying there is no tv deal now?
probably do some boutique deal with AppleTV or such and force anyone wanting to watch to HAVE to buy a package to watch; putting nothing on regular "free to view" broadcast channels.

Have two conferences with two divisions each, and call it the Big Tens.
Semifinal game, and then the championship.
I have been saying for years, the B1G should end up a 20 Team Conference.

The B1G should have an East Division & West Division each with 10 teams.

Each Division should have 2 Regions of 5 teams. Teams play everyone in their Region every year.

The B1G Regions would be:
Atlantic
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
ND
Purdue

Central
Ohio State
Michigan
MSU
Illinois
IU

Midwest
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minn
NW
Nebraska

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Wash
Stanford

Each Division should have 2 Regions of 5 teams. Teams play everyone in their Region every year.

Atlantic
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
ND
Purdue

Central
Ohio State
Michigan
MSU
Illinois
IU

Midwest
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minn
NW
Nebraska

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Wash
Stanford

How would you determine who’s in the conference championship in this format? Do you just ignore the actual regions and take the best records? Otherwise you’re adding another game which would be hard to do considering the national playoff is already expanding.

How would you determine who’s in the conference championship in this format? Do you just ignore the actual regions and take the best records? Otherwise you’re adding another game which would be hard to do considering the national playoff is already expanding.
With the expanded NCAA playoff, maybe just eliminate the B1G championship game. This way, each of the four regional champs arguably should be in. It would resemble the NFL.

Atlantic
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
ND
Purdue

Central
Ohio State
Michigan
MSU
Illinois
IU

Midwest
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minn
NW
Nebraska

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Wash
Stanford
In a perfect world kick Nub out and bring Cal in, then match up the core rivalries into pods...

IllinoisMichiganCaliforniaIndiana
IowaMichigan StateNotre DameOregon
MinnesotaOhio StateStanfordPurdue
NorthwesternPenn StateUCLARutgers
WisconsinMarylandUSCWashington

9 conference games per year; four from your pod every year and rotating from the other three pods.

Home-and-Away model only for those teams in your pod.

McMurphy has been beating this drum on Washington and Oregon, but he is the only one.

If the B1G wanted those two schools, they'd have them already.
Maybe, but it's common knowledge that the B1G doesn't want to be the one to put the final dagger into the Pac ...they are simply waiting on the Pac to implode (see my previous comment above)

With the expanded NCAA playoff, maybe just eliminate the B1G championship game. This way, each of the four regional champs arguably should be in. It would resemble the NFL.
I guess in theory go back to the old co-champion possibility in some years, but that would seem rather dissatisfying, moving away from unequivocally being able to name a champion

two ways of looking at this
18 teams can be split in 2 9 team division and it can still be a East West split. 9 teams means 8 conference games and 1 cross over game plus the 3 OOC's games.
then you can still have the conference championship games. really don't care f they don't play OSU or Michigan during the regular season. doesn't mean much if the goal is to reach the CFB Playoff's.

make it 20 teams then have 10 in each division that would make 9 conference games no crossover and still keep the conference championship game.

way to much being made about not playing OSU or Michigan enough. who the f*** cares as they have to beat the teams on their schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
that would put the B1G at 18 teams

how many do you think the B1G eventually gets to? 20?

Or will 18 be it...for now.... ??
There will always be a spot for Notre Dame if they ever want it. Probably the only way Pitt could get in to the Conference since the Big 10 will take just about anyone else if it meant getting Notre Dame. Pitt fits the profile really well and a renewal of a Pitt-PSU rivalry game is very marketable.

Ok, it could be anyone in addition to Notre Dame, I don't think it would matter too much.

You do it by starting play a week earlier, taking away a non-conf game, play 10 reg season Big 10 games for 12 game schedule, have two semi-final games with winners going to the Big 10 Champ game.

Most schools are in session by late august and if they aren't the team has been practicing and can play a week earlier. I do not want to see a 13 game schedule as it is long enough and tough enough on the player's bodies already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT