ADVERTISEMENT

Rebecca Lobo says Caitlin can’t ever be the GOAT

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
Because she would have to win multiple championships to be in the conversation. Reason she gives is that Candace Parker won 2 at Tennessee, Taurasi won 3 at UConn and Breanna Stewart won 4 at UConn.

There is no way you can convince me that taking Iowa to back to back championship games with 1 title wouldn’t be at least just as impressive as what the others did.

We ain’t UConn, Tenn, Stanford, Norte Dame, Baylor etc

I hope CC drops 50+ on Lobo's old team tomorrow night, on the way to the Natty game on Sunday.

Might not still make CC the GOAT, but will give Lobo all the more 'ammo' to find reasons to not recognize her as the possible GOAT.

Because she would have to win multiple championships to be in the conversation. Reason she gives is that Candace Parker won 2 at Tennessee, Taurasi won 3 at UConn and Breanna Stewart won 4 at UConn.

There is no way you can convince me that taking Iowa to back to back championship games with 1 title wouldn’t be at least just as impressive as what the others did.

Welp, that officially settles it.

I thought Caitlin is/was the GOAT no matter what happens tomorrow.

Lobo’s comments CEMENTS the fact that nobody’s close to her. And I’m talking all time women players!!!!

Iowa could lose by 7,000 points tomorrow & Lobo’s statements have officially made it official that Caitlin’s the GOAT no matter what happens for the rest of her career!!!!

Hat’s off to the one only GOAT!!

You’ve earned it Caitlin.

There is no no.2!!!

Lobo can tell it to my avatar.

Last edited:

Hey Rebecca, why the long face?

Millions of people that have no idea who Rebecca Lobo is will be watching NCAA Women's Basketball because of CC. Millions more never saw Rebecca even play a single game.

So to be the Goat you have to attend a blue blood program, Surround yourself with a roster full of 5 star players and win multiple Championships. Seems fair.
I agree - so dumb. People just need to have separate goats for separate accomplishments. There are goat programs with goat achievements, and for women that is likely UConn. I would say there is goat for a big dance run, which would go to Danny manning. Then there is goat player, which a separate concept than goat program.

200.gif

Maybe no one has told Lobo that basketball is a team sport and one player can only do so much. How would Lobo explain the championship teams at UConn and TN that didn't have one great player? Even today's UConn team has 7 high school all Americans even after all their injuries, Iowa has one.

She took a team to back-to-back Final Fours for a program that hadn't gone since the 90's and has what 4 or 5 total Final Fours?

Context matters. But in Lobo's mind, Caitlin should have transferred to South Carolina a couple years ago, played exactly the same and then she'd be the GOAT.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
CC wouldn't be welcome at SC.
She's right where she should be.

And Bluder should have been coach of the year. Being in final 4 2 years in a row making the best use of CC and working with the supporting cast to make them the best team they can be.

The definition of GOAT is slippery. Greatest what? Best player on a team that is loaded with talent and wins championships? Best player who has lifted her teammates to heights they could not have achieved without her (twice)? I say she's the greatest. That's my opinion, and it is as valid as Lobo's.

Not arguing that Taurasi, Parker, Stewart (and others) weren't/aren't great players, they just had a boatload of top-tier talent around them. That seems like a pretty big fact that those who require championships to be considered the greatest always leave out.

Nothing so past as a past NBA basketball star, eh Rebecca?

RL doing her best to try to remain relevant.

Reactions: VodkaSam
this current uconn team has 7 mcdonalds all americans. I would say winning a championship while you paly on an all-star team isn't very special.
As weil, the competition back then was limited. There was no parity and not as many great players to challenge them. The game has changed and much more difficult. CC has a good supporting cast but no where to what those teams were made up of and limited challenges for other teams.

Take Caitlin off of Iowa’s roster the last 2 years and replace her with any of the players on Rebecca Lobos list. Does Iowa make 2 straight Final Fours, Would they have won the Natty last year? I don’t see it but thats just my opinion.

Take Caitlin off of Iowa’s roster the last 2 years and replace her with any of the players on Rebecca Lobos list. Does Iowa make 2 straight Final Fours, Would they have won the Natty last year? I don’t see it but thats just my opinion.
Caitlin is the greatest female basketball player of all time in my opinion, your opinion as well as millions of other people’s opinions! No 2 foot long horse head Lobo is going to change that! She’s jealous and as another poster said above I hope she hangs 50 on them tonight!

She took a team to back-to-back Final Fours for a program that hadn't gone since the 90's and has what 4 or 5 total Final Fours?

Context matters. But in Lobo's mind, Caitlin should have transferred to South Carolina a couple years ago, played exactly the same and then she'd be the GOAT.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
3 total Final Fours, and 2 of them are CC's teams.

Really hope Iowa wins it all and shuts up the talking heads. But then the goalposts are moving - it has to be MULTIPLE titles now that Iowa is in the FF and has a chance to win one. Built in excuse ready to go just in case Iowa DOES win it this year. "Yeah, one title. She needs several!" Whatever.

And who's to say CC won't win any titles in the WNBA? Her story isn't even close to being written yet.

3 total Final Fours, and 2 of them are CC's teams.

Really hope Iowa wins it all and shuts up the talking heads. But then the goalposts are moving - it has to be MULTIPLE titles now that Iowa is in the FF and has a chance to win one. Built in excuse ready to go just in case Iowa DOES win it this year. "Yeah, one title. She needs several!" Whatever.

And who's to say CC won't win any titles in the WNBA? Her story isn't even close to being written yet.
If Iowa wins it all this year, the narrative will become that CC isn't the GOAT because she only won ONE title. It'll never be enough.

What these numbskulls fail to take into account, is the players they consider better played on teams loaded with 5 star talent, and there were only a select few dominant teams. What Clark has done.....not just with the records...but to lead IOWA to back-to-back Final Fours. Iowa! That in itself is amazing.

Eventually people will realize that comments like these do nothing but motivate Clark. Geno has that figured out which is why he has been very conciliatory in the pre-game. He can't control the ESPN people though. And maybe they do realize this and are hoping to get a rise out of her so she does something spectacular tonight. It's not like ESPN doesn't assign "roles" that their on air talent need to take just so they can debate a topic (what, you think it's a coincidence that they somehow always have one person agreeing and one person disagreeing on just about every topic?).

So, if stuff like this motivates Clark, I say bring it on. They will need her to have a top tier game tonight!

My goodness, what a stupid argument. Was Pistol Pete any less great because he played for LSU in the 1960s?

Name one of those players who could take these last two Iowa teams to two consecutive Final Fours. Not one of them could.

Good lord, she is stupid.

GOAT talk & debate happens in every sport.

In women's tennis, Chris Evert was the GOAT. Then Martina. Then Steffi. Now Serena.

In men's tennis, Sampras was the GOAT. Then Federer. Now Djokovic.

In men's basketball, the GOAT is either MJ, Kobe or Lebron.

Everyone has opinions (and bias) so these debates will never end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT