ADVERTISEMENT

Rock Island Brewing Company

I wish I could remember the name, I met this gym owner, Victor was his name I think. He owned State Street Fitness and was the captain or president of this Rugby club. I think they were called the Quad City Irish.
Quad City Irish was a helluva a rugby club in the day, however Palmer got all the accolades. My wife and I like Benny’s in Milan. It reminds us a bit like the OP on the hill in Cedar Falls.

There was a strip club there? Never knew...........;)
The lads decided to take me to one, I was 22 and never went to one. First we went downtown I think Friday afternoon.
This poor bastard sat down at the bar and I’m guessing what looked to be maybe the trailer park’s finest 40 yo started to berate him.
I think it was her boyfriend and she felt slighted that he was late to see her dance.
Later I was introduced to what is called a bronski. I thought it was a welcoming Iowa custom and approved .
One buddy was a former D 1 football player ( I will not say from what school) and he saved our bacon when one idiot thought he could dance onstage. He was a D lineman and convinced the bouncers we were young and dumb and we would leave.
I liked my time in Iowa. It was a small town feel in a relatively big city and I was young and had a job, plenty of time and money up enjoy yourself .

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
A friend of mine met a girl and married her when I was out there. Her dad owned some fast food places and a riverboat . He was hoping riverboat gambling was coming because he was set to make bank of it came through.
I’m guessing he did alright lol. Their wedding was one of the nicest weddings I’ve attended. The reception was on his boat , open bar, basically top shelf liquor. It was a great time.

Anyone partake in “The Mound”? Nick in during high school with friend and fake IDs. Worst “gentlemen’s club” ever, and by that, I am not talking about the food or beer.
Mousetrap on sob road in Council Bluffs holds that distinction I believe

There was also a place I found that had 0.39 cheeseburgers around that time in Davenport. My Iowa grad school friend ( he was also a PSU alum) would come east and we'd each get a12 pack of Heilmann's Old style for $2.99. It might been my best worst beer and budget burger combination ever. The burgers were a little better than say McDonald's but we were happy paying $5 for the combination lol.
We'd usually watch football all day and well, drink and pig out.
Guessing the burgers were at Mr Quick, originally 23 cents each in the late ‘60’s.
They were better than McDonalds.

This gives me the sads. Saw Lonnie Brooks and the Kinsey Report at RIBCO back in the mid- to late-80s. Great place for blues in the QC.

Reactions: Hawkgma
He’s gotta be thinking of the Circle. $5 burger baskets everyday but used to be $2…. Rookies still has $1 burger baskets on Wednesday’s and tough to beat a Boozies burger.
Been hanging out at the Circle all my life, it never gets old to me. Now you want Great Burger try Beertinies out its top notch. The Peanut Butter Burger is to die for.🍺

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I thought they were good back in the day. I remember liking Jim’s Rib Haven in Rock Island as well but can’t remember one being better than the other. Hadn’t been exposed to much BBQ at that time and have since lived Wichita, so a little more experienced with BBQ. My wife makes great ribs on our pellet grill.
Jims Rib Haven are excellent but they’re more of the chewier style. Circle Tap ribs fly off the bone.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Jim's Rib Haven. Wow, that brings back memories. Great sauce. Gentlemen's Club north of Davenport was Southern Comfort in Mt. Joy. Narrowly survived my bachelor party there.
Used to bounce their back in the days. It came with a lot of benefits.😁

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT