ADVERTISEMENT

Say what you will about Iowa State...

Originally posted by NI hawk:

Originally posted by soybean:
...but they did what they had to do. You can't take that away from them.
Congrats TO CLONES. Reading through these threads is what separates a Clone fan from a Hawk fan. Hawk fans will acknowledge Cyclone success and compliment it. (I realize not all but a lot) Very seldom does a Clone fan acknowledge any good the Hawks do.
Hawkeye fans have nothing good to acknowledge, why would Clone fans?
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wyohawk:

Originally posted by MTHawkeyes43:

Originally posted by OldTownPepe:

Originally posted by iceland:
Somehow, I find nothing fun about hearing how awesome Iowa State is, but I guess I am weird. I thought the Wayne Morgan and Greg McDermott years were pretty great.
Have you ever been to Reykjavik? I have. You should go.
I flew through Keflavik en route to Paris but now kind of regret not opening a longer layover. I assume you suggest a summer visit?
Summer would be best, I think. I was there in May. Eerily beautiful place that leaves a lasting impression.
I didn't care for Wayne Morgan, though.
As a Wyomingite, I'm no stranger to the beauty of bleakness. Have always thought it may be fun to rent a car or sleeper van and drive the ring road. With constantly lowering airfares (WOWair is pretty ridic), this may just be the year to do it.
What part of Wyoming?
Laramie. About as far from MT as possible, but I still enjoy my time up there when it (rarely) materializes. What part of MT do you harken from currently?
Flathead Valley up by Glacier National Park.
Mmm...fantastic country. Just had a good friend move up to Kalispell and I've been meaning to visit her. It's just...so...far.
My son plays tournament basketball and we practice in Kalispell so we are there daily.
Very cool. Good on you mate. Enjoy the sky up there.

I promise if our paths ever cross, I won't try to get your goat like I do here. You mostly seem like a good, thoughtful dude (with sometimes overly negative, critical opinions) and I guess I believe you aren't actually a Cyclone fan... for now.

ec
I just want to see the Iowa Hawkeyes return to the Final Four Elite 8 days of Lute and Dr. Tom and most of my criticism is directed at Fran.

Originally posted by iceland:
Somehow, I find nothing fun about hearing how awesome Iowa State is, but I guess I am weird. I thought the Wayne Morgan and Greg McDermott years were pretty great.
Have you ever been to Reykjavik? I have. You should go.
I flew through Keflavik en route to Paris but now kind of regret not opening a longer layover. I assume you suggest a summer visit?
Summer would be best, I think. I was there in May. Eerily beautiful place that leaves a lasting impression.
I didn't care for Wayne Morgan, though.
As a Wyomingite, I'm no stranger to the beauty of bleakness. Have always thought it may be fun to rent a car or sleeper van and drive the ring road. With constantly lowering airfares (WOWair is pretty ridic), this may just be the year to do it.
What part of Wyoming?
Laramie. About as far from MT as possible, but I still enjoy my time up there when it (rarely) materializes. What part of MT do you harken from currently?
Flathead Valley up by Glacier National Park.
Mmm...fantastic country. Just had a good friend move up to Kalispell and I've been meaning to visit her. It's just...so...far.
My son plays tournament basketball and we practice in Kalispell so we are there daily.
Very cool. Good on you mate. Enjoy the sky up there.

I promise if our paths ever cross, I won't try to get your goat like I do here. You mostly seem like a good, thoughtful dude (with sometimes overly negative, critical opinions) and I guess I believe you aren't actually a Cyclone fan... for now.

ec
I just want to see the Iowa Hawkeyes return to the Final Four Elite 8 days of Lute and Dr. Tom and most of my criticism is directed at Fran.
I've noticed. Patience, my friend. Trust the process.

I don't think that is true. College basketball is a funny thing. ISU has a lot coming back next year, but everyone knows how things can just not work the right way for a team on any given night.

I do think ISU has a better future ahead in the next couple of years, and is poised to be a consistent Top 25 team, and I think the Hawks are behind in that aspect.

But in this rivalry, neither side can take a win for granted. Said it once, I'll say it again: I look forward to the day when both teams are highly ranked when they meet. It's just fun!

Personally, I think it is the exact opposite...but then again, I have a biased viewpoint of that. Each can only draw from one's own experience, and that experience cannot be used to judge an entire fanbase.

I find that a lot of Cyclone fans like the Hawks--the Hawkeye teams. What they don't like are the Hawkeye fans. Many are good folks. But in every work setting, every social setting, everywhere, there are obnoxious ones who are loud, jealous, make excuses for losing, and just plain wear out their welcome soon. They tend to think the Hawks are better than they actually are most of the time. And they can't stand it to see UNI, ISU, Drake or anyone else have success. Unfortunately, those loud obnoxious ones dominate the good folks and override their decency. Cyclone, Drake, UNI fans don't mind seeing Hawks win when they aren't playing each other. They just can't stand the aftermath and easily predictable blow-hards. Most of them never even attend Iowa games and support the Hawks. Most of them never even attended Iowa. That's why the atmosphere in the two major sport venues is trending downward. They just like to spout off on here and everywhere else.

Hawkeyes to the bone but props to the clones, they win on the big stage. Freddy knows how to get his team ready to get it done. I am a bit intoxicated right now but I'm super jealous of their team once again. Let's hope the Hawks can bottle a little of this for themselves this week. Go hawks

Originally posted by Pauly85-2.0:
Personally, I think it is the exact opposite...but then again, I have a biased viewpoint of that. Each can only draw from one's own experience, and that experience cannot be used to judge an entire fanbase.
I grew up immersed in Big Red, then spent most of my working career in the Belly of the Beast, Cedar Rapids. Obvioiusly, know a great many Hawkeye fans who are very good friends. As I've said before, I had season tickets for a number of years before ISU hired Orr.

IMHO, if you don't enjoy watching this year's Cyclone team play, you aren't a basketball fan. The same was true with the Ronnie Lester teams at UI and, before that, Miller's Six Pack.

Are there asshole fans? Indubitably. For all teams. Hell, go to www.phog.net and read some of the posts.

I think it's cool to have all three in the Dance. Did I chortle when Iowa lost to Northwestern State a few years ago? Of course. Just as most Hawkeye fans chortled when Hampton beat ISU.

But as Pauly said, basketball is not the same as football. Losing the in-state game doesn't really mean much in the long run.

Make sure when you add your eggs to the mixture, that the yolks have been removed. This will add to the smoothness of your batter.
I have spent a lot of time in Wyoming. My band backed up 3 Dog Night in Sheridan. Lots of nice people in Wyoming and beautiful country.

"Say what you will about Iowa State..."!?!?

123920_o.gif

"Hello, have you heard the Word of......"

123920_o.gif

"I sell frozen meat...."
"I'm running for City......."
"I just moved in and I'm required by the court to inform my new neighbors..."

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

I grew up immersed in Big Red, then spent most of my working career in the Belly of the Beast, Cedar Rapids. Obvioiusly, know a great many Hawkeye fans who are very good friends. As I've said before, I had season tickets for a number of years before ISU hired Orr.

IMHO, if you don't enjoy watching this year's Cyclone team play, you aren't a basketball fan. The same was true with the Ronnie Lester teams at UI and, before that, Miller's Six Pack.

Are there asshole fans? Indubitably. For all teams. Hell, go to www.phog.net and read some of the posts.

I think it's cool to have all three in the Dance. Did I chortle when Iowa lost to Northwestern State a few years ago? Of course. Just as most Hawkeye fans chortled when Hampton beat ISU.

But as Pauly said, basketball is not the same as football. Losing the in-state game doesn't really mean much in the long run.
Most folks I know are either ardent Hawkeye or Cyclone fans. But most of them also pull for the other when they are not in direct competition. This year basketball fans in Iowa have three rooting interests in ISU, Iowa and UNI. If you will allow yourself to March will be an interesting month.

Most folks I know are either ardent Hawkeye or Cyclone fans. But most of them also pull for the other when they are not in direct competition. This year basketball fans in Iowa have three rooting interests in ISU, Iowa and UNI. If you will allow yourself to March will be an interesting month.

Just wondering, what part of the state are you from?

I ask because I grew up close to the Mississippi River and Hawkeye fans there had the Illini to contend with. ISU was an afterthought. When it came to the NCAA's we rooted for Iowa first of course, and a distant second was that the Big Ten did well.

Personally, I find ISU fans to be aptly nicknamed, "Little Brother" as they are annoying and one can't get rid of them. Why I should root for their school while I endure their pestering is beyond me.

Yes, it is kind of neat that three instate schools will make the NCAA Tournament this year. But really only two recruit Iowa kids, so the provincial stuff doesn't cut it either. Iowa State could be Arizona State as far as I'm concerned. And if I could get away with it I'd take their "Little Brother" fans out with the trash.

DanL53 - The term "Little Brother" may have worked once upon a time...but now it make Hawk fans who use it look small.

was in Ames yesterday..had lunch at a place called the The Other Place..really nice sports bar..was around 3 so plenty of ISU clad fans...I had my Iowa gear on...got plenty of looks but no comment..

hard core Iowa fans & ISU give a rats ass about each other or their team..

The few ISU fans I know are a pain in the ass when they beat us......they are in heaven (and they should be)...great BB team...a never quit attitude (plays very similar to MSU) in that they play MUG ball..especially when they are down...they really make the other team "panic",,,Kansas did..Oklahoma did...Texas did.. ISU is one tough SOB of a team...like Izzo has said..they cant call every foul.

now..there is all the credit I give without hurting my fingers...but I would say...there are a number of ISU fans that do believe Hoiberg has walked a tightrope with a few of the transfers...there is the exposure that it could come crashing down..thats not me saying it...they are. But until it happens...hey Hoiberg has created a creation....a "bad boy" image...and make no mistake it has and is working....what his face..their big guy transfer has been the difference.

..ISU has a legit shot at a Final 4...but until then...I will be rooting against them every single time...you get my respect (meaningless I know)...when you earn it....the ISU people I know..enjoy anything negative Iowa...so that's where I'm at...
This post was edited on 3/15 8:46 AM by hawk-i bob

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:

was in Ames yesterday..had lunch at a place called the The Other Place..really nice sports bar..was around 3 so plenty of ISU clad fans...I had my Iowa gear on...got plenty of looks but no comment..

The few ISU fans I know are a pain in the ass when they beat us......they are in heaven (and they should be)...great BB team...a never quit attitude (plays very similar to MSU) in that they play MUG ball..especially when they are down...they really make the other team "panic",,,Kansas did..Oklahoma did...Texas did.. ISU is one tough SOB of a team...like Izzo has said..they cant call every foul.

now..there is all the credit I give without hurting my fingers...but I would say...there are a number of ISU fans that do believe Hoiberg has walked a tightrope with a few of the transfers...there is the exposure that it could come crashing down..thats not me saying it...they are. But until it happens...hey Hoiberg has created a creation....a "bad boy" image...and make no mistake it has and is working....what his face..their big guy transfer has been the difference.

..ISU has a legit shot at a Final 4...but until then...I will be rooting against them every single time...you get my respect (meaningless I know)...when you earn it....the ISU people I know..enjoy anything negative Iowa...so that's where I'm at...

Just curious, Bob. Using your criteria, which programs have your respect?

Originally posted by DanL53:

Just wondering, what part of the state are you from?

I ask because I grew up close to the Mississippi River and Hawkeye fans there had the Illini to contend with. ISU was an afterthought. When it came to the NCAA's we rooted for Iowa first of course, and a distant second was that the Big Ten did well.

Personally, I find ISU fans to be aptly nicknamed, "Little Brother" as they are annoying and one can't get rid of them. Why I should root for their school while I endure their pestering is beyond me.

Yes, it is kind of neat that three instate schools will make the NCAA Tournament this year. But really only two recruit Iowa kids, so the provincial stuff doesn't cut it either. Iowa State could be Arizona State as far as I'm concerned. And if I could get away with it I'd take their "Little Brother" fans out with the trash.
you mad.

Fred offered Uthoff and Morgan. Just because ISU has no Iowa kids on scholarship it gives Iowa fans a reason to dismiss how good they are. It's hilarious. Diatribe Dan is a hoot.

However, it's your board so you are allowed to say as many stupid things as you like. I'll just read and chuckle.
This post was edited on 3/15 7:04 AM by Cydkar

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:

Just curious, Bob. Using your criteria, which programs have your respect?
I wasn't talking program respect...I was talking about the ISU fans I know...and because they are who they are..I hope ISU loses every single game you play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT