ADVERTISEMENT

SB vs Neb

Row55

HR MVP
Feb 22, 2009
The Hawks got stomped Tuesday 12-2 & 16-7, but Starkenburg did not pitch either game (unless the stats are in error). Anybody know what happened?

BTW, the game at Michigan Sunday is scheduled to be on BTN (ouch).

Iowa is 1-4 in the B1G giving up an average of 13.2 runs per game.

I wondered the same thing about Starkenburg. Sarah Kurtz came in for Yoways in the 7th to finish off the final batter. We haven't seen her in the circle all year. Made me wonder if there was an injury or illness. I'm not sure why else Kurtz would be called on to pitch now.

Looper ran off Miceala Whitney last season. She is 8-4 with a 1.73 ERA with one no-hitter at Creighton. How much would have Mac helped the program this year? A fair amount. I'm guessing Looper thought with Starkenburg and Koral Smith she was set. Smith, of course, did not enroll at Iowa. Even with both of those, you need a third good pitcher. Very few freshman walk in and are difference makers in the circle and it wasn't like we had an established ace pitcher. That is definitly a head scratcher in my opinion. Starkenburg has thrown some good innings and you have to appreciate Yoways stepping in when she recruited as a middle infielder and being a team player, but the pitching woes have to be on Looper. Hopefully this is the low point in the program. Erin Riding from Texas should help a lot in the circle next season.

This post was edited on 3/26 3:59 PM by SynergyHawk12

Here's the Daily Iowan article on the game:

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2015/03/26/Sports/41467.html

Stuff happens -- players transfer or just up and give up the sport.

But a coach at this level (BCS school) should be able to go out and get suitable replacements so that an entire season isn't lost. See Bond Shymansky. Very high-quality pitchers at smaller schools should have been jumping at the chance to step right in at a B1G school. Did Coach not get out the word or was no one interested?

What does it say that we have one infielder (maybe two) who are better pitchers than the actual pitching recruit??
This post was edited on 3/26 4:47 PM by LinusPF

I know I've been a HUGE critic of Coach Looper over the years but i can say that this year her base coaching has not negatively influenced any play and has not taken away the chance of her players winning a game. Maybe she has improved upon that.

There are other improvements over last years team.

Sammi Guyerman is back and I have always been a fan of hers. She's solid in center. It is also good to see they haven't continued to try and make a slap hitter out of her. She has such a beautiful swing.

The new left fielder, Cheyenne Pratt (?) is definitely an improvement over the past few years.and the left side is more than adequate in the field.

Allie Wood has shown signs of being the desperately needed power but haven't seen enough to judge her fielding. i look forward to her future.

I continue to tense when the ball is hit to the right side infield but I think that is me remembering past years of these players and not being objective.

I like the contact this team makes with the ball when they hit it. Much more solid than in recent years.

I am pleasantly optimistic about the future of this team. Next year they lose one of the greatest Hawks ever but there is a solid foundation. If Coach Looper can keep the base, not drive players off and find some pitching, I think they can be a competitive team next year. Wow, I can't believe I actually typed that.

I agree this is likely the low point in the program. Once we get Riding from Texas that should help the pitching, but I think Looper needs to go find a third pitcher as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT