ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Chuck Grassley calls Trump trial a 'political lynching' but says he's too busy to go

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
What a sad shadow of his former self Chuck has become:

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said Wednesday the criminal prosecutions of Donald Trump amount to “political lynching” of the former president.

“I think you're seeing that whatever the Democrats were trying to accomplish by prosecuting in four different ways, former President Trump, that it's kind of backfiring on them,” Grassley told reporters on a weekly press call. “And I think I see it as a political lynching.”

Grassley noted that he was taking the phrase from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who described his 1991 Supreme Court confirmation hearings as “a high-tech lynching” after he was accused of sexually harassing Anita Hill.

Grassley said he has not been paying close attention to Trump’s criminal hush money trial, which is continuing in New York City this week.

Unlike other Republican politicians who have attended the trial to voice their support of the former president, including Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird, Grassley said he is too busy to make an appearance.

“My life is pretty much Washington, D.C., or Iowa — representing Iowa,” he said. “It's a full-time job.”

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said Wednesday the criminal prosecutions of Donald Trump amount to “political lynching” of the former president.

“I think you're seeing that whatever the Democrats were trying to accomplish by prosecuting in four different ways, former President Trump, that it's kind of backfiring on them,” Grassley told reporters on a weekly press call. “And I think I see it as a political lynching.”

Grassley noted that he was taking the phrase from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who described his 1991 Supreme Court confirmation hearings as “a high-tech lynching” after he was accused of sexually harassing Anita Hill.

Grassley said he has not been paying close attention to Trump’s criminal hush money trial, which is continuing in New York City this week.

Unlike other Republican politicians who have attended the trial to voice their support of the former president, including Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird, Grassley said he is too busy to make an appearance.

“My life is pretty much Washington, D.C., or Iowa — representing Iowa,” he said. “It's a full-time job.”
I give him a little credit for not showing up at court to lend his support, like the members of the crazy wing of his party.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Anyone else remember when Chuck had the vapors over Bill Clinton lying about a blow job? Something, something, the integrity of the office.
Now he's falling all over himself defending a guy who raped at least one woman, ran multiple scams over the years, lost a massive civil trial against his company, and a criminal trial against his company. A man who staged a coup as president, and a man who hid documents he had no right to keep, and then conspired with others to keep them, or destroy them in order to keep them from being turned over.
F*** Chuck. And, again, I voted for him twice.

He deserves to be lynched.
Yes, Chuck does! His place in the ending of democracy in America was cemented when he and Moscow Mitch contrived the established precedence in how and when SC justices are selected. Honestly, May Grassley rot in hell. There will be a special place for the ol’ Chuckster next to Moscow Mitch and Benedict Arnold. Next to the bon fire.

Pretty obvious why Chuck keeps supporting Trump. He wants that Third Reich Trump promises. Go Hitler! Amirite, Chuckles?

Reactions: ft254
Pretty obvious why Chuck keeps supporting Trump. He wants that Third Reich Trump promises. Go Hitler! Amirite, Chuckles?

Chuck went south along with Iowa as a whole. Freaking WHO radio, Stupid TV, Limbaugh. This entire state went absolutely stupid over the last 3(+) decades listening to and watching their trash.

Pathetic and inexcusable.

Anyone else remember when Chuck had the vapors over Bill Clinton lying about a blow job? Something, something, the integrity of the office.
Now he's falling all over himself defending a guy who raped at least one woman, ran multiple scams over the years, lost a massive civil trial against his company, and a criminal trial against his company. A man who staged a coup as president, and a man who hid documents he had no right to keep, and then conspired with others to keep them, or destroy them in order to keep them from being turned over.

Grassley said Clinton had lost his moral compass so he decided to vote to convict. That's pretty rich.

Reactions: MitchLL

Chuck and most of the republicans tell us this was about politics. Yet somehow 12 jurors from different walks of life stood up and took an oath to look at the facts and apply the law as read. They unanimously voted to convict on all 34 counts. Chuck really ought to shut the hell up along with all of the MAGAs.

The republicans in the house and senate, sat and listened to the facts put forth to them twice in trump's impeachment, yet almost all of them voted to acquit. They knew he was guilty, but they lost their backbone.

We
Well, as long as you voted for Chuck, I don’t care what you think of him.

Yes, Chuck does! His place in the ending of democracy in America was cemented when he and Moscow Mitch contrived the established precedence in how and when SC justices are selected. Honestly, May Grassley rot in hell. There will be a special place for the ol’ Chuckster next to Moscow Mitch and Benedict Arnold. Next to the bon fire.
Oh Joel - go lay by your dish.

Chuck went south along with Iowa as a whole. Freaking WHO radio, Stupid TV, Limbaugh. This entire state went absolutely stupid over the last 3(+) decades listening to and watching their trash.

Pathetic and inexcusable.
So, I assumed you moved out of Iowa…based on principle alone.
Chuck and most of the republicans tell us this was about politics. Yet somehow 12 jurors from different walks of life stood up and took an oath to look at the facts and apply the law as read. They unanimously voted to convict on all 34 counts. Chuck really ought to shut the hell up along with all of the MAGAs.

The republicans in the house and senate, sat and listened to the facts put forth to them twice in trump's impeachment, yet almost all of them voted to acquit. They knew he was guilty, but they lost their backbone.
However, was it a unanimous vote? Didn’t the judge instruct the jurors that it didn’t have to be a unanimous vote to convict him?

However, was it a unanimous vote? Didn’t the judge instruct the jurors that it didn’t have to be a unanimous vote to convict him?
Why would you ask a question like this? It's a felony case for christs sake.

Less than a unanimous decision. JFC.

It was a felony case. Anything less than all 12 voting guilty will be a hung jury, and in his mind, as well as yours, that would be proof that he committed no crime.

Yes it was and no the judge did not instruct the jurors that it didn't have to be a unanimous vote to convict him. Stop with the lies.

We

Well, as long as you voted for Chuck, I don’t care what you think of him.
I voted for Chuck about 30 years ago when he still cared about doing right for Iowa. When he put his desire to stay in office over his ethics I stopped voting for him.

It was a felony case. Anything less than all 12 voting guilty will be a hung jury, and in his mind, as well as yours, that would be proof that he committed no crime.

How could an adult American not know this?

My God, I know MAGAs aren't smart, but doesn't Stupid TV televise anything?

Jan. 6 came and went without coverage. Fox ignored the trial.

Keep our audience dumb we'll have a dumb audience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT