ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Wallace named Assistant Head Coach

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

WALLACE NAMED ASSISTANT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH​

TWITTERFACEBOOKMAILPRINT

IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz announced on Tuesday a couple coaching changes.
Seth Wallace has been named Assistant Head Coach for the Hawkeye football program. This is the first time an assistant head coach has been named under Ferentz.
“Seth is an excellent coach and has been an asset to our coaching staff for many years,” said Ferentz. “He works tirelessly to develop our players into outstanding men on and off the field. I am grateful that he is a part of our program.”
In addition to his role as Assistant Head Football coach, Wallace will continue his responsibilities as Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach for the Hawkeye football program. Wallace’s base salary is being increased from $755,000 to $1,000,000 annually.
“Being able to coach at the University of Iowa with such great players, coaches and staff members is really an honor,” said Wallace. “The University of Iowa and this football program are both very special to me. I am appreciative of this new, expanded role and look forward to preparing our athletes for the upcoming season and beyond.”
Under Wallace’s leadership, Iowa’s linebacking corps has consistently been one of the nation’s best. Over the past eight years, Wallace has coached five linebackers who have garnered All-America recognition, including unanimous consensus selections Josey Jewell (2017) and Jack Campbell (2022). Most recently, Jay Higgins was honored as a first-team All-American in 2023. An Iowa linebacker has led the Big Ten in total tackles each of the past three seasons. Wallace has mentored 11 linebackers to all-conference status and eight players have gone on to play in the National Football League.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMDQvMGQ0NDgyYzItMjAyMTA5MjVfaW93YWZvb3RiYWxsdnNjb2xvcmFkb3N0YXRlMDA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

Ferentz also made the following announcements:
Phil Parker’s contract as defensive coordinator is being amended to a base salary of $1,900,000 annually. This past season Parker was the recipient of the Broyles Award, awarded to the top assistant coach in college football, and the American Football Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year Award.
Parker’s defenses consistently rank among the best in the country. The Hawkeyes ranked fourth nationally in scoring defense (14.8) and passing efficiency defense (102.1), fifth in passing yards per game (170.7), and seventh in total defense (282.5) in 2023. Iowa allowed one touchdown or less in 10 games in 2023 and in 19 of the last 28 games. Iowa’s defense has yielded 400 yards or fewer in 28 straight games dating back to the 2021 season — the longest active streak nationally.
Kelton Copeland’s contract as wide receivers coach has not been renewed. “I appreciate Kelton’s contribution to the Hawkeye staff and wish him the very best,” Ferentz said.
The search for an offensive coordinator is ongoing and an announcement is expected in the near future.

Wallace was already making more money than Woods. Seth was the 3rd highest paid behind the coordinators. And he probably had another job offer in hand.

There's your in-house HC candidate in a few years.

I'd be curious to know what, specifically, his "expanded role" might consist of. Might be just a title. Could also signal he will be taking on some of the overall program management duties in preparation for being a head coach some day.

There's your in-house HC candidate in a few years.

I'd be curious to know what, specifically, his "expanded role" might consist of. Might be just a title. Could also signal he will be taking on some of the overall program management duties in preparation for being a head coach some day.

that could help in negative recruiting if prospects know the staff will remain stable and that Seth would be promoted from Asst Head Coach to THE Head Coach

Ask him? I guess if he doesn’t leave, you’ll know, right?
I thought he deserved a pay raise at least. I doubt he leaves I just wonder why he wouldn’t get a little bump too. Share the wealth with the key guys.
Even if I knew him I wouldn’t ask him lol

Should be Lavar, not Seth. Seth will replace Phil as DC someday, but he’s not going to be Kirk’s successor.
Din't be so sure. Wallace is well liked inside the program and a very good coach. This announcement adds a degree of stability long term to the program. Glad Phil got a big raise and that Wallace received a nice bump

Reactions: Ferentz_Fan
I thought it was odd to have someone be the Asst HC and the Asst DC. So, I checked around at some of the other notable coaching staffs in the top program. I guess it's not that unusual.

Fun Fact - for 2023, Bama had a coach that was the Asst. HC of Offense/WR's - but was not the OC.

Fun Fact #2 - Jim's Harbaugh's son, Jay, is on the coaching staff at Michigan. Hasn't seemed to hurt them.

Fun Fact #3 - Oregon has 31 men on their Coaching Staff. I assume not all are paid. They also have 28 on the "Support Staff".

WALLACE NAMED ASSISTANT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH​

TWITTERFACEBOOKMAILPRINT

IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz announced on Tuesday a couple coaching changes.
Seth Wallace has been named Assistant Head Coach for the Hawkeye football program. This is the first time an assistant head coach has been named under Ferentz.
“Seth is an excellent coach and has been an asset to our coaching staff for many years,” said Ferentz. “He works tirelessly to develop our players into outstanding men on and off the field. I am grateful that he is a part of our program.”
In addition to his role as Assistant Head Football coach, Wallace will continue his responsibilities as Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach for the Hawkeye football program. Wallace’s base salary is being increased from $755,000 to $1,000,000 annually.
“Being able to coach at the University of Iowa with such great players, coaches and staff members is really an honor,” said Wallace. “The University of Iowa and this football program are both very special to me. I am appreciative of this new, expanded role and look forward to preparing our athletes for the upcoming season and beyond.”
Under Wallace’s leadership, Iowa’s linebacking corps has consistently been one of the nation’s best. Over the past eight years, Wallace has coached five linebackers who have garnered All-America recognition, including unanimous consensus selections Josey Jewell (2017) and Jack Campbell (2022). Most recently, Jay Higgins was honored as a first-team All-American in 2023. An Iowa linebacker has led the Big Ten in total tackles each of the past three seasons. Wallace has mentored 11 linebackers to all-conference status and eight players have gone on to play in the National Football League.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMDQvMGQ0NDgyYzItMjAyMTA5MjVfaW93YWZvb3RiYWxsdnNjb2xvcmFkb3N0YXRlMDA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

Ferentz also made the following announcements:
Phil Parker’s contract as defensive coordinator is being amended to a base salary of $1,900,000 annually. This past season Parker was the recipient of the Broyles Award, awarded to the top assistant coach in college football, and the American Football Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year Award.
Parker’s defenses consistently rank among the best in the country. The Hawkeyes ranked fourth nationally in scoring defense (14.8) and passing efficiency defense (102.1), fifth in passing yards per game (170.7), and seventh in total defense (282.5) in 2023. Iowa allowed one touchdown or less in 10 games in 2023 and in 19 of the last 28 games. Iowa’s defense has yielded 400 yards or fewer in 28 straight games dating back to the 2021 season — the longest active streak nationally.
Kelton Copeland’s contract as wide receivers coach has not been renewed. “I appreciate Kelton’s contribution to the Hawkeye staff and wish him the very best,” Ferentz said.
The search for an offensive coordinator is ongoing and an announcement is expected in the near future.
Now we know what Kirk has been working on.

Reactions: dadster
If you watch Seth on the sideline he is basically right there with Phil. The two are attached at the hip mostly on game days on the sideline.

Reactions: ichawk24
Kirk has never given out the Title of Asst HC and You do not give that Title unless He is the planned successor, period. He has the track record of success is younger and it makes a seamless transition that keeps the culture. and more importantly the Defense even when Phil retires . Just tagging a meaningless Title and a quarter M would not be stopping a big promotion as a DC that would pay more than a Million, there is power behind this move . People who have ran organizations and Companies can see this plain .

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
Kirk has never given out the Title of Asst HC and You do not give that Title unless He is the planned successor, period. He has the track record of success is younger and it makes a seamless transition that keeps the culture. and more importantly the Defense even when Phil retires . Just tagging a meaningless Title and a quarter M would not be stopping a big promotion as a DC that would pay more than a Million, there is power behind this move . People who have ran organizations and Companies can see this plain .
That's well and all but I don't think Kirk gets to name his successor.

He may not contractually, but if he decides to retire a little earlier than planned and not hold the university hostage he could negotiate the hiring of Seth to step away in a year or two instead of three or four.

He better love social functions and radio call in programs and press conferences, etc. all the fun stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT