ADVERTISEMENT

Sheryl Swoopes

“This phenomenon, common for many Iowan students, is known as the ‘brain drain.’ In the United States, this looks like well-educated students leaving their home state to pursue higher education and careers elsewhere.

The brain drain is particularly prevalent in Iowa, as each of its neighboring states has a higher retention rate, according to the Washington Post. When comparing college graduates produced in a state versus college graduates living in the state, Iowa falls negative, sitting at -34.2%

This statistic took the percentage of college graduates produced in Iowa against the percentage of college graduates living in Iowa, meaning that Iowa is losing over 34% of the college graduates produced in the state.

This phenomenon happens for various reasons, including less interest in rural communities, lower-paying jobs, lack of opportunities and fewer amenities and attractions, amongst others.”
I’m well aware of the statistics of younger Iowans leaving Iowa to pursue the early stages of their careers. Although, my two daughters (both college graduates) have stayed in Iowa, so far. I was more referring to people as they get older, i.e., raising families, and then into retirement…are often deciding to return to Iowa for quality of life, lower crime rates, good educational, and reasonable housing costs. I have two former co-workers from MN who are choosing to retire to Iowa as they are sick of the liberal MN politics, increasing crime of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and look forward to the lower tax structure in Iowa. However, as you say….we all find our own path.

I’m well aware of the statistics of younger Iowans leaving Iowa to pursue the early stages of their careers. Although, my two daughters (both college graduates) have stayed in Iowa, so far. I was more referring to people as they get older, i.e., raising families, and then into retirement…are often deciding to return to Iowa for quality of life, lower crime rates, good educational, and reasonable housing costs. I have two former co-workers from MN who are choosing to retire to Iowa as they are sick of the liberal MN politics, increasing crime of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and look forward to the lower tax structure in Iowa. However, as you say….we all find our own path.
I live in Iowa because I'm far less-likely to die thanks to wild animals like poisonous snakes and spiders compared to some of the more popular states on this board.

I can also drive to your favorite states for a nominally fee and only spend the time I want to spend there, rather than ever feeling trapped there, which I don't feel here in Iowa.

That and Iowa > other teams, obviously. :cool:

In fact,
P.S. Iowa (the state) > Massachusetts (the state, and all its current inhabitants) @shikreto

Iowa is certainly cheap and that’s not nothing. Iowa City is a fun little town for sure. But if you’re comparing quality of life — in terms of culture, scenery, activities, events, It’s rly hard to compare it to a coastal state. Once you get used to life somewhere where so much more is happening, or you can get to the mountains/the ocean/major cities (or all 3) in an hour or so…it’s hard to imagine life in Iowa again.

It’s also tough sell for anyone who is a minority, gay person, trans person or a woman — since the state government is increasingly hostile toward you. There was a time in my life when I thought I might be happy returning to Iowa City someday, but like all my friends who left for the coast…that’s rly no longer an option for me. I certainly used to appreciate the state for its quality of education but that’s basically been burned to hell, so even if I had kids I don’t think that’d be the draw it used to be.

I am nothing but a proud product of our beloved alma mater :) But thank you for an outdated definition that lacks nuance or historical context! Again there are many classes at Iowa you can take to learn about this. I suspect your tax dollars are probably paying for it so you should get your money’s worth.
The fact that there are “many classes you can learn” about your BS is exactly why we are having the problems we are facing. Nothing that can be done to damage white people? Try DEI for one.

Reactions: IAmTheLaw151
The fact that there are “many classes you can learn” about your BS is exactly why we are having the problems we are facing. Nothing that can be done to damage white people? Try DEI for one.
Wig GIF

See? Even a Gen Z like you can agree with an old fart like me when it comes to Iowa being better than every other state, but especially Massachusetts.
I’m far from a homer for MA lol — tbh if I was younger and could up and move anywhere, it’d probably be California — so this isn’t rly triggering to me. I basically live in Connecticut actually lol — I’m 3 miles from the border and I go there to do basically anything.

I’m just saying, comparing apples to apples…Iowa vs any northeastern state….it isn’t rly a close contest IF you’re the kind of person who seek a high QOL in terms of diverse, world-class amenities and experiences. I also appreciate the universal respect for human rights and the strong social safety net here. I was young and poor for a few year — MassHealth was free, accessible and comprehensive. Now I’m older and I’m happy to be a net payee to that and other systems that benefit my community.

Last edited:
I’m far from a homer for MA lol — tbh if I was younger and could up and move anywhere, it’d probably be California — so this isn’t rly triggering to me. I’m just saying, comparing apples to apples…Iowa vs any northeastern state….it isn’t rly a close contest IF you’re the kind of person who seeks out diverse, world-class amenities and experiences.
That's an even worse state to choose. Boy, your choice in states is beginning to explain some other things............;)

Also, Iowa is bigger than every northeastern state (and better, especially in football), therefore any other category you want to flaunt is irrelevant.

It's like I said, if I wanted to sample your "world-class amenities and experiences", I would just drive there (because f*** flying), get what I wanted out of it, and come back to the comfort and safety of a superior state in Iowa. :cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT